“Nice B&B in the middle of chaos...”
Review of Casa 69

Casa 69
Ranked #2 of 66 San Jose B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nice B&B in the middle of chaos...”
Reviewed 6 April 2013

I recently stayed at Casa 69 on my trip to CR and found it a great stay, especially for the price. I started my 9 day trip in CR at this hotel for one night and then came back for one night before I flew back to the states. The first night I arrived I had a clean room by the garden, and I arrived late at night. The breakfast was nice, you pay extra if you want an omelette. The staff was great, Nemo is a young guy that runs the hotel in the afternoon and evenings. On my way back into San Jose I was put into a room that is located across the street. This room I loved! The decor was totally different and it definitely had more of the B&B feeling I was looking for. The bathroom was a little small for a big guy like me, but the bed was Soooo comfortable. I was also able to find the hotel owner, Donna -I was able to discuss the hotel, the reviews I had read, and her life in CR. I had a lot of privacy and never felt like anyone was intruding or checking in on me. Once you get situated with your surroundings you will realize that you are within walking distance to many things and it is quite a safe environment. If you prefer a taxi ride its very economical as well. I would say the biggest challenge is the noise that comes from the train which is right around the corner. I live in DC where there are sirens going off every other hour, so it wasn't as big a concern to me, though it can be startling at first when you don't expect it. There are restaurants and bars nearby but I never heard the noise because the room is so well insulated and it is surrounded by a beautufil garden. In the morning there were all sorts of birds visiting the garden and there is a porch or veranda to sit relax and just enjoy a cocktail or your morning coffee. I much preferred the room across the street but there is a bit more communal feeling in the main area of the hotel. The staff is very friendly and I would definitely stay here again and recommend this hotel to my friends and others.

Room Tip: Arrive during the day if possible...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank bigblumarbleinspace

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2013

We stayed at Casa 69 for 2 nights.

The hotel is very well located, 7/10 minutes walk from all the shops, restaurants, etc. The area is not fancy but we always felt safe and always walked back and forth to the center even at night. If you do not wish to venture out too far to grab something to eat, there is an Irish bar just on the corner (great burgers and chicken wings), Pizza Hut up the road and KFC 2 minutes away.

The rooms are beautiful and spotlessly cleaned. the bed is so comfortable and huge, had 2 great night sleep. The only downside is the pressure in the shower, really really low (hence the 4 stars). But it definitely did not spoil our stay.

The communal areas are so cute. The decor and the feel of the house really make you want to stay in and enjoy yourself like you would at home. There is a living room area with a tv, for guest to use. Seating there and chatting with fellow guests and owners made us feel like we were part of the family. So relaxing!

The owners are wonderful and so helpful. They will always be available to advise you and help you with anything you need.

I would definiyely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for an amazing little place with even more amazing hosts.

Room Tip: Room 9 is on the top floor and has direct access to the roof terasse. Great room!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zerin
Casa69, Owner at Casa 69, responded to this review, 29 March 2013
Thank you for your many positive comments. We appreciate the feedback.

You are right, room #9 does have direct access to the roof top terrace and is a very nice room. It also has a dial on the side of the shower head that guests often turn down to reduce the water pressure, as we have excellent pressure.

A recent reviewer commented that we had the best water pressure of any place they had stayed in Costa Rica.

It is unfortunate that you did not bring this to our attention while you were here. It would have allowed us to correct the one area you felt needed improvement. We would have liked that.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 27 March 2013

This place is very centrally located & you get a good vibe of the city here. Very accommodating staff. Clean & cozy. We originally booked 5 nights with plans to move around a bit, but kept extending the stay. All tour companies will pick up & drop off here, so why move? Breakfasts were consistently fresh & delicious!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Susan J
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 26 March 2013

The staff couldn't have been more friendly or helpful. I only stayed at Casa 69 for a week, but I already miss them. They went above and beyond what was needed, recommending tours, finding us a personal driver/tour guide, and even looking through the trash for my retainer (which they found, thanks Roy!). The rooms were comfortable and had fresh flowers, a TV, and a mini fridge. The one and only problem was the train which was loud and can wake up a light sleeper. All of the rooms are great, but the rooms across the street are a bit less convenient simply because it takes 2 keys and a code to get from your room to get to the delicious breakfast/drinks/sandwiches, the lobby area, and the wifi (but wifi is going to be available across the street soon!). The location was good, a short walk from downtown, lots of places to eat nearby, and tons of bars. I HIGHLY recommend this place.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank meg j
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2013

I found Casa69 to be a really well run, friendly spot to stay. They have two plots, opposite each other and securely protected. I stayed at the start and end of my trip in Costa Rica, the staff were very nice and always helpful. Cheap room prices ($50 per night) too. The bars next door are good for a late night beer.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Colin B
Casa69, Owner at Casa 69, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
Thank you for your feed back. We appreciate hearing from our guests. I would, however, like to correct the information you have put into your review.

First, we have several records all reservations. We have it on our computer at the Hotel, in a computer that is off site, and in your case, we have reports and records provided by Hotels.com. These are then printed for the staff to use at the front desk

As such, even if the Hotel did not transfer your reservation request to our paper records, we have electronic copies that would allow us to verify or investigate any questions or concerns from our customers.

As for your refund, it is unfortunate that you were unable to stay with us due to problems with your airline. Our refund policy is clearly stated on our website and has be given to Hotels.com and their partners. It is one of the requested inputs on the application prior to being listed on their site. I cannot however control what information they display and what they do not.

We are a small independently owned Hotel who often turn reservations away because we are fully booked. As such, it is not fair to us to accept last minute cancellations as they can be difficult to fill. Many of the reservation requests are for weeks or months in advance. We therefore need a refund policy.

Hotels.com offers free cancellation. You need to understand that that means they do not charge a fee on top of what the individual Hotel charges for a cancellation. They still send the cancellation notice to their partner Hotels who will determine whether there is to be a refund based on individual Hotel policy.

Ours is clearly stated on our web site, it has been given to our partners. I am sorry you did not take the time to investigate this.

Travel plans are often subject to changes and surprises. You should understand what your options are should something happen. Venting your views with incorrect information in a public forum for something you failed to do really should not be one of them.
Reviewed 23 March 2013

I recently stayed at Casa 69 for 3 nights. It was the first place I stopped in Costa Rica and I wasn't sure what to expect from San Jose... In terms of the area, I can't say I felt particularly safe outside of the hotel, but it is just a short 10-15 minute walk straight down the road to the main square and it's really easy to navigate. The hotel is lovely, a converted house (just incase the name doesn't give it away) and the people who run it are lovely and couldn't be more helpful. I arrived earlier than check in time, and was upgraded for free to a king room which was beautiful. The bed was so comfortable and the bathroom was spotless. The house has a very traditional Spanish feel to it, I didn't sample the breakfasts but heard from other guests it was lovely. The sun deck allows for a lovely view of the city at night time. I would definitely go back!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Paige_Sullivan_27
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 March 2013

This was a great place with amazing value. We stayed in the cheapest room and it was perfect. So much character. If you're looking for an incredibly cute, unique, bohemian boutique hotel, you will LOVE this. Wonderfully decorated and a short walk away from the parliament building, National Theatre, and main shopping area. San Jose is not the most beautiful city, so one day there is enough, but Casa 69 is the perfect place to stay. They also have a shuttle that can transport you to/from the airport for very cheap and it is not far away. The staff were so lovely.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple