“We had such a lovely time at casa 69, I would stay there again in a heartbeat”
Review of Casa 69

Casa 69
Ranked #1 of 65 San Jose B&B and Inns
“We had such a lovely time at casa 69, I would stay there again in a heartbeat”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

The place was very clean, the breakfast was wonderful, the room was great and very comfortable, and the staff was wonderful. There are dogs there but the dogs are sweethearts and so friendly. I would recommend Casa 69 to everyone planning on staying in San Jose!

• Stayed May 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
South Tampa, Florida, United States
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Am waiting to download pics to attach but wanted to express my appreciation to Casa 69. The folks were so gracious and caring. It was like being in a Latin family, in some ways.Stayed 4 nights at Casa 69. Had begged GECKO Travel, which are great people also to get me out of Manuel Antonio, early. A very disappointing stay in Manuel Antonio.The reservation person was so very gracious to book me 1 day earlier than I was scheduled to stay with Casa. Gloria a Dios!My room was amazing and the breakfasts were outstanding all the time there.All the staff were so very helpful with a non-Spanish speaking Florida guy. We were able to communicate, well enuff.There is a great Peruvian Restaurant just around the corner from Casa as well as many other eateries, well within walking distance.Being an animal lover, having the dogs and cats, gave a feeling of home and family. Both dogs and cats were very affectionate, yet gentle.I did happen to be in San Jose during the visit of the President of China. Lots of policia and traffic but all cleared easily.San Jose and Casa69 is a place to love and embrace as a Central American B&B.So glad I booked to stay there. It was disconcerting when I was dropped off at the door, where this was located but with a secure entry code, I did feel secure.Will attach pics when downloaded. Pura vida!

Room Tip: Maybe, a room away from the passing train side. I was fortunate enuff to get #6, on the opposite si...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Robert M
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 2 June 2013

I arranged to be picked up at the airport by the hotel shuttle and the owner Donna was along for the ride. I was the first off the plane and had no checked luggage so was actually out of Customs within 5 minutes. I was afraid they wouldn't be there so early but there they were waiting for me.

The drive into the city took about 20 minutes and we chatted on the way in. Both Donna and the driver were very friendly.

The home / B&B are in a good location, and we had no issue whatsoever with noise. Our room was on the top floor, had a gorgeous walk out balcony and an incredible view in the evening. The only downside was that sometimes others would walk up there and they could see directly into our room. The hotel is gorgeous inside, the breakfast was excellent and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

I think we probably had one of the best rooms in the hotel, but from what I could see they all looked nice. The king size bed was very comfortable, the shower had good pressure and plenty of hot water. The tv was small and had mostly fuzzy stations. But we were not there to watch tv so really not important.

I would recommend this hotel without hesitation.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tammynnc
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights in the part of this small hotel that is across the street from the main building. The main attractions (museums, shopping, places to see) are no more than a 10 minute walk from the Casa 69. A basic breakfast is included in the price. My room was very clean with TV. There are a few places to sit and relax including on the roof terrace overlooking part of the city. Internet use is available. Restaurants (both Costa Rican and American) are very close by. They arrange pick-up from the airport and it is really worthwhile to ask for it. Ask for Pinar, she is very knowledgeable about Costa Rica and will be able to offer you other excisions you may find interesting without insisting. I found this to be a nice change of approach. The staff at the Casa was helpful, especially the cook; this is a small hotel so everyone helps out. The owner, Donna, is also very helpful and can be counted on for a story or two! Do bring earplugs: the train tracks are close by and trains run throughout the night.

Room Tip: Ask for a back room in the annex; there is a bar attached to the main part of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank flowriver
Casa69, Owner at Casa 69, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Thank you for the many positive comments put forward in your review. We enjoy hearing back from our guests.

As I have stated before we are in the center of downtown San Jose. This offers many advantages to our guests. Once at the Hotel, you are walking distance to all downtown amenities, such as museums, shopping, bars and casino's. You can enjoy one of the many excellent restaurants in the area or partake in our room/dinner package.

Once you arrive, you will not need a taxi to take you to any of these places.

With being downtown, we also experience the noises one would hear in any large city. This can bother light sleepers. To offset this, we offer electronic white noise sleep machines.

These recreate soothing sounds from nature such as waves crashing on the beach, rain on the roof, or birds singing in a rain forest. They actually enhance your sleep, even if you are not a light sleeper, and can signed out from the front desk for the duration of your stay.
Texas City, Texas
Reviewed 26 May 2013

I stayed at casa 69 last week, I was having my labour holidays, actually is my first time in this country and Costa Rica is so beautiful, wish I could stay a little bit longer. When I arrive my cab was waiting outside with a sign that says: "Casa 69", the guy who pick us up was a nice guy and take me to my destiny, when I arrived a young cute guy with a beautiful smile who help us so much, and was very gentle, help us to arrange a couple of tours in Manuel Antonio National Park, he recommended us this one and I have to say it was really great, it's a lot of fun and show you one of the most beautiful enviroment you can ever see next to the pacific ocean. I could say that this place it's more like a home that a hotel, so cozy! the breakfast was served by very helpful staff, it included one of the best costa rican's coffee, fresh bread, pineapple and strawberry jelly, butter, fresh fruit, natural fruit juice , and also a really tradicional dish called gallopinto that is rice with beans. They have in the third floor a beautiful deck where you can have a great view of the whole city and if you go in the morning you can enjoy all the mountains that surround the central valley, it's in a very nice neighborhood with a lot of restaurants around to try an amazing dinner and meeting new people, also they have a phone for interntional calls for free, it was so great beacause let me talk with my girlfriend at home everytime I want, the room wass so clean and very wealthy, a comfortable big bed and a quiet night to rest after a long trip, I'll definetly stay here again next time!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jonhy B
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Stayed here for a few nights. It's beautifully decorated. Rooms are nice and comfortable. Breakfast is pretty good, and served in a pretty courtyard.

The location is actually good (for San Jose, which is in itself a bad location). It's only a few blocks away from the "main sites" of San Jose (shoe stores and American fast food restaurants).

The problem we had was that the staff is basically a bunch of young guys who just don't really know what they're doing. And they're generally unprofessional. One example: we asked one of the staff to call us a cab to go someplace outside the city. He said "Okay, I know a great guy." And we thought he meant "a great taxi driver." But he called his buddy--just some guy with a car--who got us hopelessly lost.

Casa 69 is a nice place. And it's inexpensive. But I'm not sure I'd stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tikibob1214
Casa69, Owner at Casa 69, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Thank you for your review. We appreciate feedback from our guests especially when it helps us serve you better.

The comments you made regarding the staff was partially accurate. We had hired several new employees to cover the vacations for our regular staff. At the time you were there, they had probably just started.

One of these new employees was the person who called the taxi for you. Although I am sure he meant well, he did not comply with the process our staff is trained to follow. For this and other reasons, he was not kept on.

Our standards of service are very high. This has been attested to in many of our previous reviews. I would invite you to return and enjoy the normal level of our service our regular staff provides. As with many others, I am sure you would be impressed.
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I travel to Costa Rica for dental work and have stayed in some very nice hotels. My last trip I was looking for a little more of the older less western influence and found Casa 69 to fit the bill. It has the natural charm and feel as soon as you walk in.I feel for the price I had excellent service. The rooms seemed to have been updated recently and were crisp and clean. The staff offered a more personal touch, no uniforms . Just plain real honest service. The train noise is a bit much for some but I used it as a wake up call so it wasn't that big an issue. Yes there were a few cats and dogs in residence but as a pet owner it reminded me of home and I found it an added feature. No pets? they provide rooms across the street for people that may have allergies or not wanting to be around any animals. As someone who works online the wifi worked well with my mobile electronics and I used the mac in the living room several times and could use it as long as I wanted. The transportation to and from the airport was arranged and was handled professionally and with a clean vehicle. Also less than a taxi would have been. All in all a very nice experience, I felt relaxed, welcomed, ate breakfast every morning, the staff was friendly and professional. I will refer and return... Randy Hamlin

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business