“Clean, Comfortable, Friendly”

Ranked #2 of 69 San Jose B&B and Inns
Ellicott City, Maryland
“Clean, Comfortable, Friendly”
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Casa 69 is hard to review in some ways. It's clean, the staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms were comfortable, although we could have used air conditioning. Breakfasts were wonderful, and the gardens were nice to enjoy while eating breakfasts or enjoying a cup of coffee. The cats and dogs that roam the outside area are a fun addition and never caused a bit of trouble.

The one downside is the area, it's kind of seedy, but it's hard for me to judge, we were only there for three days and it may just be that all of San Jose is seedy. The streets are strewn with trash, there is razor wire or bars on every window, etc.

We never had any problems, we walked to restaurants in the evenings (there are not many restaurants nearby, and the ones we tried were not that great). However, Monday mornings, the embassy on the corner becomes MOBBED with people, and they totally take over the street that the hotel is on, this is hard to walk through, and impossible to drive through.

It's hard to hold a hotel accountable for it's neighbors and things that really are out of the control of management--especially when the management is so kind and helpful. One thing that could be improved is wi-fi signal strength--on the second floor it really does not work so well.

Room Tip: the wi-fi upstairs did not work so well, it was fine on the first floor
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Casa 69 is one of the quirkiest, more unique hotels I've ever experienced. It has beautiful gardened courtyards and unique, comfortable rooms. The included breakfast is also delicious and filling. Very affordable price, as well.

The reason for my "average" rating likely stems in part from my own naivety regarding San Jose and a lack of preparedness. The GPS coordinates listed on the Casa 69 website sent us a few blocks away; after driving around for 30 minutes, we eventually had to got out and walk around the neighborhood for an additional 30 minutes to find it (on a very small side street, the only sign was on a door embedded in a high wall. So ask for detailed driving directions before you arrive, and do not rely solely on your GPS. Also, street parking is very hard to come by, so ask for the $10/day hotel parking space when you reserve.

The staff working the day we stayed spoke very little English, and I am embarrassed to admit that I speak very little Spanish. We therefore had some communication issues. The woman who checked us in also seemed quite unfriendly, but perhaps it was the language barrier? Regardless, we chose to spend the majority of our stay in our bedroom. While our room itself was very nice and spacious with unique, French-Riviera decorations, it was VERY LOUD, even after closing the window (which resulted in a very hot, very stuffy room). The train noise (whistle, chugging) woke me out of a dead sleep numerous times, and noise from a local bar and guests socializing just outside of our door stayed loud into the early morning. I understand that Casa 69 is located downtown in a major city, so noise will come with the territory. But I have stayed in many cities across the US, Canada, and Europe, and this was the loudest hotel room I can remember. After our stay, I learned that the hotel offers white noise machines, but I was unaware of this while we were staying; I definitely wish I had used one.

In summary, if you're planning to site-see a lot in downtown San Jose, Casa 69 is a nice choice for lodging, provided you come with good directions and an awareness of the noise. If you're just looking for a place to stay before or after a San Jose flight (as we were), it might be less hassle to just stay closer to the airport in a quieter hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for the room furthest away from the train. Or ask for ear plugs or a noise machine.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank S_Raines8
Florida City, Florida
Reviewed 24 June 2013

On my trip to Monte Verde I stayed at casa 69 with my girlfriend, it was a nice house that really makes you feel like at home, we arrived pretty late and it was party out of the hotel, probably for the weekend, a young guy called Memo welcome us and help us to not getting lost for going out having a dinner in a delicious Peruvian restaurant in the next corner, then we bring a snack to him for helping us and he was so funny that we stayed like a couple of hours playing cards in the living room, have a nice time with him, now we have a new friend in Costa Rica. The room was really clean and relaxing, just the train make some noise but just sometimes, we were lucky to have a really quiet room that help us to sleep even with the party outside the hotel, it did not bother us at all, in the morning we have a great breakfast with delicious fresh fruit, and the staff was very attentive during breakfast and help us to get a taxi to the bus stop, but unfortunately we did not want to leave, it was my second time in Costa Rica but the next time I will stay there again!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank James L
Cirencester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We stayed for just a night and left early in the morning. The room was large, clean and full of character. There were several places nearby to eat, but (at least this part of ) San Jose wasn't the sort of place to hang out at night. The rooms are close to the railway track which was a bit noisy. We also had a lot of trouble actually finding the place (we were driving ourselves) and one of the roads was blocked by a lot of Nicaraguans outside the nearby embassy.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank francoiseH550
Naas
Reviewed 11 June 2013

I only had a short stay in casa 69 but I could have stayed a lifetime and was just what we needed at the point in our travels.This comes highly recommend by myself and companions. We were looking for somewhere safe ad comfortable to stay over on route to Monteverde but got so much more. The rooms are pristine an full of all the modern comforts all of which had a ensuite. Each comes decorated differently and I was tempted to take a picture of it. The staff could not have been friendlier, particularly Donna herself who I presume is the manager. The continental breakfast is a welcome surprise, fresh juice, baguette, jams and coffee. For the price we paid this has all the facilities of a high end hotel and is excellent value.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 June 2013

The place was very clean, the breakfast was wonderful, the room was great and very comfortable, and the staff was wonderful. There are dogs there but the dogs are sweethearts and so friendly. I would recommend Casa 69 to everyone planning on staying in San Jose!

• Stayed May 2013
South Tampa, Florida, United States
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Am waiting to download pics to attach but wanted to express my appreciation to Casa 69. The folks were so gracious and caring. It was like being in a Latin family, in some ways.Stayed 4 nights at Casa 69. Had begged GECKO Travel, which are great people also to get me out of Manuel Antonio, early. A very disappointing stay in Manuel Antonio.The reservation person was so very gracious to book me 1 day earlier than I was scheduled to stay with Casa. Gloria a Dios!My room was amazing and the breakfasts were outstanding all the time there.All the staff were so very helpful with a non-Spanish speaking Florida guy. We were able to communicate, well enuff.There is a great Peruvian Restaurant just around the corner from Casa as well as many other eateries, well within walking distance.Being an animal lover, having the dogs and cats, gave a feeling of home and family. Both dogs and cats were very affectionate, yet gentle.I did happen to be in San Jose during the visit of the President of China. Lots of policia and traffic but all cleared easily.San Jose and Casa69 is a place to love and embrace as a Central American B&B.So glad I booked to stay there. It was disconcerting when I was dropped off at the door, where this was located but with a secure entry code, I did feel secure.Will attach pics when downloaded. Pura vida!

Room Tip: Maybe, a room away from the passing train side. I was fortunate enuff to get #6, on the opposite si...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo