“The Traveling Canucks”

Ranked #1 of 69 San Jose B&B and Inns
Barrie, Canada
“The Traveling Canucks”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

It was our first trip to Costa Rica. A buddy and I were there for the Central America travel experience, and initially landed in San Jose. We has a referral through a friend to stay at Casa 69, which is centrally located in San Jose. It was the only thing we booked next to the flight down. The plan was to travel without reservations. We were met at the airport by a very friendly associate of the hotel, who welcomed us and drove us to the hotel in a shuttle bus. The staff at the hotel were equally friendly, and provided us with a comfortable accommodations, and plenty of information on sites to visit, currency exchange, transportation information and different options to travel by. We further met and visited with the hotel owner Donna, who provided us with a very warm welcome and an insight to the local culture and to travel tips. The room accommodations were great, with all the amenities you need. There were all the options available for room sizes, number of beds per room, as well as staying in the main building or across the road at a secondary building. There was a friendly little pub down on the corner from the hotel, which provided a variety of drinks and food items. The hotel itself has a lobby computer and phone, that provided free international calling which was quite convenient.
Very flexible access to the international airport through the shuttle service, makes the stay in the City worthwhile, instead of having to stay in the industrial area around the airport. There is so much more to see and do locally downtown.
A high recommendation for this hotel accommodation.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank pistolman666

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Berlin
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I stay at Casa 69 going to and from my property in southern Costa Rica. It is a ten minute walk from everything in the city center, museums, parks, shopping, restaurants. I walk everywhere and always feel safe. At nine pm university students are leaving classes on Central Ave. near the hotel. The hotel arranges for Juan to meet me at the airport and he is cheaper than any taxi you might pick from the crowd. He will also take you to the airport at 4 in the morning if necessary. Donna and David are great hosts and the staff are very helpful and friendly. Free use of hotel computer, free phone calls and an ATM just around the corner add to the convenience. The free breakfast easily holds me till lunch. There's a great Peruvian restaurant around the corner and more on Central avenue with small two and three table "sodas" even in the center, offering large daily specials (casadas) for $5 or less. I won't stay anywhere else. I just ignore the train.

Room Tip: The rooms next to the Irish Pub can be noisy on weekends.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Stan K
Quepos, Costa Rica
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We have stayed at Casa 69 twice in the last two years, and it has remained a consistently good hotel. The shared spaces feel homey and comfortable, and are a nice way to interact with fellow travelers. The rooms are clean and nice. Each are decorated differently - a bit 80s at times, but who doesn't love the 80s? They're clean and comfortable, which is what matters most to me.

Some rooms are quite loud. However, you are staying in a city center - it's going to to be loud almost everywhere. Buy some earplugs! I don't travel anywhere without them. That said, we were in room 5, in the main house and it was quiet (except for the train).

This hotel is in a great location to explore downtown San Jose. It really is in walking distance to almost everything. It is not near the airport. A taxi to/from the airport should cost around $25. I go to San Jose a lot, and if I am simply going to the airport early the next morning, I don't stay here. I stay in Alajuela and get more sleep!

Room Tip: If you are travelling as a couple or solo, go for room 5! It's in the main house, on the first l...
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 29 June 2013

we reached the 69 casa after a hard flight and without one suitcase that the flight company forgot. The personal in the hotel helped us allot, called the flight company and didn't stop helping us in other things like renting a car and advising us about our trip in Costa Rica.
The room was great, clean and comfortable, and the breakfast was nice and fulfilling.
We strongly recommend Casa 69.

Ellicott City, Maryland
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Casa 69 is hard to review in some ways. It's clean, the staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms were comfortable, although we could have used air conditioning. Breakfasts were wonderful, and the gardens were nice to enjoy while eating breakfasts or enjoying a cup of coffee. The cats and dogs that roam the outside area are a fun addition and never caused a bit of trouble.

The one downside is the area, it's kind of seedy, but it's hard for me to judge, we were only there for three days and it may just be that all of San Jose is seedy. The streets are strewn with trash, there is razor wire or bars on every window, etc.

We never had any problems, we walked to restaurants in the evenings (there are not many restaurants nearby, and the ones we tried were not that great). However, Monday mornings, the embassy on the corner becomes MOBBED with people, and they totally take over the street that the hotel is on, this is hard to walk through, and impossible to drive through.

It's hard to hold a hotel accountable for it's neighbors and things that really are out of the control of management--especially when the management is so kind and helpful. One thing that could be improved is wi-fi signal strength--on the second floor it really does not work so well.

Room Tip: the wi-fi upstairs did not work so well, it was fine on the first floor
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Casa 69 is one of the quirkiest, more unique hotels I've ever experienced. It has beautiful gardened courtyards and unique, comfortable rooms. The included breakfast is also delicious and filling. Very affordable price, as well.

The reason for my "average" rating likely stems in part from my own naivety regarding San Jose and a lack of preparedness. The GPS coordinates listed on the Casa 69 website sent us a few blocks away; after driving around for 30 minutes, we eventually had to got out and walk around the neighborhood for an additional 30 minutes to find it (on a very small side street, the only sign was on a door embedded in a high wall. So ask for detailed driving directions before you arrive, and do not rely solely on your GPS. Also, street parking is very hard to come by, so ask for the $10/day hotel parking space when you reserve.

The staff working the day we stayed spoke very little English, and I am embarrassed to admit that I speak very little Spanish. We therefore had some communication issues. The woman who checked us in also seemed quite unfriendly, but perhaps it was the language barrier? Regardless, we chose to spend the majority of our stay in our bedroom. While our room itself was very nice and spacious with unique, French-Riviera decorations, it was VERY LOUD, even after closing the window (which resulted in a very hot, very stuffy room). The train noise (whistle, chugging) woke me out of a dead sleep numerous times, and noise from a local bar and guests socializing just outside of our door stayed loud into the early morning. I understand that Casa 69 is located downtown in a major city, so noise will come with the territory. But I have stayed in many cities across the US, Canada, and Europe, and this was the loudest hotel room I can remember. After our stay, I learned that the hotel offers white noise machines, but I was unaware of this while we were staying; I definitely wish I had used one.

In summary, if you're planning to site-see a lot in downtown San Jose, Casa 69 is a nice choice for lodging, provided you come with good directions and an awareness of the noise. If you're just looking for a place to stay before or after a San Jose flight (as we were), it might be less hassle to just stay closer to the airport in a quieter hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for the room furthest away from the train. Or ask for ear plugs or a noise machine.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank S_Raines8
Florida City, Florida
Reviewed 24 June 2013

On my trip to Monte Verde I stayed at casa 69 with my girlfriend, it was a nice house that really makes you feel like at home, we arrived pretty late and it was party out of the hotel, probably for the weekend, a young guy called Memo welcome us and help us to not getting lost for going out having a dinner in a delicious Peruvian restaurant in the next corner, then we bring a snack to him for helping us and he was so funny that we stayed like a couple of hours playing cards in the living room, have a nice time with him, now we have a new friend in Costa Rica. The room was really clean and relaxing, just the train make some noise but just sometimes, we were lucky to have a really quiet room that help us to sleep even with the party outside the hotel, it did not bother us at all, in the morning we have a great breakfast with delicious fresh fruit, and the staff was very attentive during breakfast and help us to get a taxi to the bus stop, but unfortunately we did not want to leave, it was my second time in Costa Rica but the next time I will stay there again!

1 Thank James L