“Hotel Casa 69 San Jose CR”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Casa 69

Casa 69
Ranked #1 of 67 San Jose B&B and Inns
Bend, Oregon
“Hotel Casa 69 San Jose CR”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

location,location,location! Walking distance to downtown...close to restaurants and attractions...The staff was awesome...knowledgeable and friendly. Clean rooms and great continental breakfast. We met many friendly and interesting people during our stay...people that will be our new forever-friends. I will definitely stay here on my next visit to CR!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We stayed there 1 night and we will never come back.
The room smells like mildew and is not maintain properly, (door knobs are not connected well, bath curtain is in bad shape.... )
The only thing you can eat in breakfast is bread with jam or batter (if you want an omelette you need to pay extra). We couldn't use the internet because the night shift receptionist was using the single computer all night long.

1 Thank Shlomi B
Bend, Oregon, United States
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Excellent! and dog friendly too, although I only say one dog there and all he did was sleep in the courtyard in the shade. I think he visits every month or so, I met at least 6 people during my week there who are regular guests. I will head straight there on my next trip to Costa Rica.
Simply Lovely

1 Thank Penny M
La Paz, Bolivia
Reviewed 11 September 2013

What more can I say than great and helpful staff, nice clean rooms and a very convenient location, a short walk from downtown and San Pedro Mall.

Somewhere I would definitely reccommend for all types of people. And somewhere I would make my first port of call when I next return to San Jose.

A great mix of interesting people stay here, tourists and Costa Ricans.

And the view from the rooftop terrace, whether it be night or day is astonishing.

Room Tip: All rooms are good.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jared C
Casa69, Owner at Casa 69, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Thank you for the great review. It was very much appreciated
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Casa 69 is conveniently located and the staff is very friendly and helpful. There is a small rooftop area with a nice view of the city. However, Casa 69 would be much nicer if it were cleaner!!. During my stay there were 3 cats and 3 dogs roaming around the hotel, all of which needed a good bath!! There was pet dander everywhere and the common area had a strong pet smell. Also, the bath towels should be replaced; if you decide to stay here, bring your own towels.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank RoHarv
Casa69, Owner at Casa 69, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Thank you for your review. We appreciate feedback from our guests.
You arrived Sept 5th having booked and paid for two of our smallest rooms. Upon arrival, you were given a free upgrade on both rooms.
I arrived on the evening of the 7th with the dogs. There was no mention of cleanliness or the towels issue prior to that, and on Monday morning you approached me saying you wished to leave as you were disgusted with the dogs.
I made reservations at a very nice hotel nearby and provided directions.
Shortly after you left, we called the other hotel to ensure that everything was satisfactory. They informed us you had never arrived and had already phoned them and cancelled the room as you were staying with friends.
Los Alamitos, California
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Cute property and rooms, fresh and light complimentary breakfast every morning, and convenient walking distance to museums, cafes, and bars. And got 10% off at the italian cafe up the street bc we stayed here. It was a wonderful place to start and end our holiday in CR! Plus free luggage storage while we explored the country... So convenient. Thanks for everything Casa 69 we will be back :)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Aya O
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I stayed here on my very first trip to Costa Rica for four days (August 5-9) and it won't be my last. It is clean, comfortable, and located in a very convenient area of San Jose.

I arrived from the airport via bus instead of taxi. The bus from the airport to the city center was 535 colones and from there the taxi to the Casa 69 was 1700 pesos. So the entire trip from the airport was about $4.50. It certainly beats $25 or more that the taxis will try to charge you at the airport. When returning to the airport at the end of my trip, I did the same and took a taxi to the bus station. All the taxis will know where the Embassy of Nicaragua is, so just use that as a reference point when taking taxis. "de la Embajada de Nicaragua, 80 metros al sur".

The hotel is in a nice, older building, with the common areas tastefully decorated, and a nice courtyard where breakfast is served. I stayed in a Junior Queen room in the main house (number 7) and despite it being the smallest of the category of rooms available, it was more than adequate in size for one person. The room had a very comfortable queen size bed, a small fridge, and a small glass table with chair. There was ample closet space to hang things up, an electronic safe, a ceiling fan, and a flat screen TV. The bathroom was clean, albeit a little on the small side, with excellent water pressure in the shower. The water got acceptably warm enough for morning showers, but I wouldn't call it hot in comparison to home. I had a good strong wifi signal from my room. Prior to my trip, my biggest concern was the lack of air conditioning, but I didn't even miss it! In fact, it got a little chilly at night (even in August!) that I had to bundle up under the comforter.

Breakfast is served in the morning and it consists of coffee, lots of bread with butter and jam, one glass of fresh squeezed juice, and lots and tropical fruits to eat (pineapple, papaya, mango, banana) For $5 you can have extras like, omelettes with bacon or sausage, pancakes, or gallo pinto with eggs. On my first morning, to my shock, I asked for gallo pinto and they said it wasn't available! You don't have gallo pinto in the morning in Costa Rica? I thought that was strange. On the two other days I requested it, however, it was available and it was deliciously prepared and the fried eggs were cooked perfectly.

The hotel is in an excellent location. Walk north to the corner where the Nicaraguan Embassy is and that is Avenida Central, just turn left and keep walking and you are in downtown. San Jose is a compact little city and it was perfectly fine to walk everywhere during the day. San Jose (especially the center) may not be the idea of the tropical paradise many are coming to Costa Rica for, but it is the transportation hub for the nation and it's central location makes staying at a nice, reasonably priced hotel in the city like Casa 69 amd just taking some of the many tours available to various places around the country during the days is a great way to get a first experience in Costa Rica. Many reviewers complain about the "sketchiness" of the area around the hotel and of San Jose in general. In my opinion most of these people are Americans who have had very little experience traveling around the Latin American world. There are many places that are MUCH worse than San Jose! It felt perfectly safe at all times to walk around and explore. I walked around without a second thought up until about 11pm. I would take a taxi after that to get around. They are everywhere and cheap, and if you speak a moderate amount of Spanish, the drivers are friendly and will start the meter without even being asked 9 times out of 10, (otherwise, a pleasant reminder will be all that is needed) There is lots to do in San Jose when you are not exploring the rest of the country. There's lots of nightlife, some great restaurants (many are pricey though, especially to comparable venues in the US) and a few interesting museums. I'm not sure about what the hotel's policiy about having guests over. I didn't find it necessary to ask since I found that once you walk to the corner where the Nica Embassy is and turn left onto Avenida Central, you will encounter tons of hotels that openly offer rooms for a few hours for 5000 colones (these are actually all over San Jose) so that is a much easier and safer option if you want to get your thing on.

Of the minor issues of the hotel, that were not deal breakers for me by any means, but may be an issue to some:
-The train! Yes there is a suburban train that you will hear early in the evening and (very) early in the morning, like around 5:30AM. I noticed it, but it didn't bother me because I am not a light sleeper.
-The animals. In the small courtyard of the main house where the rooms are, there is definitely the strong smell of a multiple pet home. I counted 3 resident cats and 2 dogs during my stay. The animals were all very friendly though, and the cats would often spend their time sleeping on the chair outside my room. I should say that there was no pet smells at all in the rooms, nor in the living area, kitchen, and dining patio of the main house. I had no problem with the animals, but understand that this may be an issue for some.

Staff was friendly. The manager speaks perfect English. The support staff, not so much. But it was very easy to meet each other halfway :)

At this price point, this is a great place to stay. I am already fantasizing about my next trip to Costa Rica and would not hesitate at all to stay here again or to recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo