“Comfortable city oasis”
Review of Hotel Casa 69

Hotel Casa 69
Ranked #1 of 67 San Jose B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Casa 69 is a lovely little property within easy walking distance of downtown San Jose and just a few minutes walk from the National Museum and craft market. The rooms are comfortable, good TV, internet, and free calls to US and Canada which was a nice perk. Breakfast is unlimited fruit, juice, coffee and delicious bread. There are eggs etc for $5 extra, but we rarely felt we needed it. We booked through expedia and had no trouble with our reservation. Because I had read others had had trouble, I brought my receipt and asked the owner about it. She said sometimes the e-mail and/or name that people use on the booking sites is not the same as either how they pay or the name they give when arriving, or she has no response to confirmation e-mail. When we booked for another night at another point in our trip, we booked under my husband's name. On arrival, they looked for my name and didn't see it, but we cleared it up right away. I would suggest that however you book, send a confirmation e-mail to them with all details and they will respond. They are generally very helpful. Service is good and efficient, and our rooms were great. They got taxis for us which arrived within 5 minutes and all was well. We were especially delighted with Rafael who was managing when we were there. He was helpful, personable, efficient, and completely bilingual.

Room Tip: There is a train which goes by noisily, It never bothered us where we were, but you could mention...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joyce D

Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

You may see all the great reviews on TripAdvisor and make a confirmed booking online through Booking.com or another site. Then, when you arrive after a long day of driving, Casa 69 may say they have no record of your reservation, and no rooms available. Worst of all, they may say it's your problem.

That's what happened to us. After much back and forth with the desk clerk, and then phone calls to the manager and owner - all of whom were puzzlingly unhelpful and unsympathetic - the desk clerk finally admitted to us that the hotel's policy is to overbook rooms, like the airlines do with seats.

The owner eventually called a nearby hotel and found us another room. We were happy to not be turned out into the night, but the new place was noisy and less than comfortable.

Such shady practices tend to make one wonder whether all the positive reviews of Casa 69 are legit. If you do book at this hotel, be sure to call ahead and verify that an actual room is waiting for you.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nevertoomanymiles
Casa69, Owner at Hotel Casa 69, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

Firstly, we do not intentionally overbook. There are times when we are overbooked due to an error on our part, but as overbooking is an extremely stressful situation for us as well, we do not do it intentionally.

When that does happen we try our best to work with our guest to find them alternate accommodations.

You booked through Booking.com. Their system seems to confuse some people. They take the credit card number of people who book through them. I am not sure why, however, they do outline on the information that they send to the guest that they need to make payment directly to the Hotel. Booking.com does not collect money for our Hotel.

We also follow up all bookings through them with an email to the guest that explains our expectations. Guests must prepay their booking through our web site to be guaranteed a room.

Some people may not see this email, some may choose to ignore it, but most correspond with us and things go very well.

We have not been with Booking.com for that long, however I have sent them an email asking if they have other processes we may implement that may cause less confusion. This system is different from other third party booking agencies so people may not fully understand it.

I am sorry that we did not have a room for you on that date. We hate turning people away. We are a beautuful small hotel with some of the best rates in the city and excellent service. As such, we are sometimes very popular.

I hope this makes the situation clearer as I do not feel that your rating is truly reflective of the service we offer

Reviewed 5 January 2014

While the area around the hotel seems less than savory, inside is a paradise of fresh breakfast and wonderful hosts in a beautiful two-building setting! Everyone is quick, eager, and available to help.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We booked our room months in advance through paypal and upon arrival we were told that they had no record of us. The young man working the desk was very apologetic and arranged a room at a nearby hotel. The hotel they took us to was terrible. It was dirty noisy and uncomfortable. The staff in the morning was not interested in trying to compensate us in anyway and was very unhelpful. We were told that it was too bad our stay was so terrible because some guests had not shown up and there was a room available after all!

They asked if we needed a ride to the airport. We thought this was an attempt to make it up to us. When the cab arrived we were told we had to pay for it and the man at the desk didn't even remember ordering the cab.

When we got home we received an email from the owner insisting that it was our fault and that they had double checked their records. We have the paypal receipt and the statement on our credit card. It was a terrible last night to an otherwise lovely Costa Rica trip. I regret that I wasn't confident enough to demand my money back.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sergei D
Casa69, Owner at Hotel Casa 69, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

You booked a room for one night in January on Aug 27, 2013. At that time we responded, that for us to hold your room it needed to be prepaid.

On Sept 17 your husband sent through the payment for the booking under his name (totally different) and his email address.

Our files are based on names and email addresses. We can find anything with the right name or email address.

You booked and paid three weeks apart with two totally different names and two totally different email addresses.

We responded to the payment by sending an email to your husband asking him for the information needed to match it to the reservation. We never received a response.

We asked for your help, you did not provide any. How were we supposed match it up? Then when I contacted you to investigate what happened you were not very cooperative and didn't want to help unless I was offering compensation.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

I agree with the many positive reviews here. I stayed at Casa 69 both when traveling alone and when with a friend. While the previous owner Kurt was fantastic, I found the new owners (since 2012) Donna & Dave to be lovely folks as well. I'm so glad they did not muck with an already successful formula, by keeping the prices low while maintaining top-notch service. The staff are wonderful, the rooms are pleasant, and the hotel dining patio and common areas are beautiful. Yes, the train that passes several times a day is loud. And the location can be hard to find the first time. But, for the price, these are very minor issues.

I read the complaint about the dogs wandering around. I think it's sweet that the owners didn't leave their pets alone at their home (several hours southwest of San Jose) during extended absences. I believe they were all abandoned dogs and cats that Dave & Donna adopted from a pet rescue shelter. One day the big dog was sniffing around me while I was relaxing in the living room at Casa 69, and Dave offered to put the dog in another room if I was uncomfortable. From what I read, the pets are normally left at home now, and were in the hotel only during the transitional period when the new owners first bought the hotel.

A surprise added value for me was that Casa 69 is near a small university (La Universidad Libre de Costa Rica), which means there are many student-oriented businesses nearby. I walked down Avenida Central near the university, and found small restaurants and take-out stands serving food late at night. The "am pm" convenience store has fresh bakery items, yogurt, bottled water, other beverages, and snacks, and is open until midnight.

There were some small nightclubs near the university, too. I didn't go inside, but they appeared to be dance clubs rather than live music clubs. Maybe this is why another reviewer found the neighborhood to be "dicey", because they are not accustomed to big city neighborhoods where people are loitering outside the clubs to have a cigarette or chat with friends. Also, this area was not all shiny and manicured like the tourist areas. It's a bit shabby around the edges, but I liked the neighborhood, and felt totally safe walking around there alone, even at 11:00 p.m.

Just a few doors down from Casa 69 is the restaurant/bar "Pub Rock". Go there for the inexpensive basic food, or hang out at the bar with friends. The background music when I visited was a mix of punk and post-punk music. Some websites list it as a Rock & Pop music bar. There's also an "Irish pub" nearby, if that's your style.

So, if you're in your 20s or 30s and find the tourist areas boring, the Casa 69 neighborhood might rock you. That said, it's still only a short walk from Casa 69 to the National Museum and other tourist sites downtown.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Zola_McNomad
Reviewed 1 January 2014

My husband and I arrived in San Jose late and stayed at casa 69 for 2 nights. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Rooms are very nice as seen on website and secure, small rooftop terrace. Close to downtown but not crazy about neighbourhood. Nice place to stay in San Jose especially for the price.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jane D
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We arrived in San Jose at night time and could not find a place to stay because all the hotels were fully booked. When we arrived at Casa 69 the owner helped us and managed to arrange a room for us, eventhough all the rooms were taken.
Casa 69 was a great place to stay. The best feature was the view from the rooftop terrace. The rooms were nice and cosy and the staff was very helpful.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple