“Lovely Germans!”
Review of Hotel Casa 69

Hotel Casa 69
Ranked #2 of 67 San Jose B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 February 2009

I was at first a daunted when my taxi took me from the airport to Casa 69, as the property was hidden behind an obscuring wall, with the barbed wire on top (which is standard in all of San Jose). But after staying there twice - at the beginning and end of my Costa Rica trip, I must say that I felt very much at home at Casa 69. Kurt and Jenns are the most humourous Germans I have even met - very professional, but also very funny if you spend time with them.

My bedroom(s) was more than I expected - surrounding an inner courtyard (although the outside traffic noise during the day is still apparent as everywhere else in San Jose) with a comfortable double bed, fan, cable TV, minbar, safe (important for those people who bring guests back, or want their valuables secured) and nice shower/toilet. The simple delicious breakfast of coffee/tea, fruit, bread and jams/butter was more than adequate for me - although there is an ala carte menu for those looking for more protein

The customers tend to be a mixture of gay men/couples and straight couples - with the gay people mixing in the dining room/lounge whilst the straight couples kept to themselves in their rooms or the courtyard. I enjoyed chatting and getting to know some of the guests during my stay.

Casa 69 is close to the Nicaragua Embassy, and is about 15-20 mins walk from downtown (depending whether you are walking uphill or downhill). I had no problems with walking in the area during the evening to the bars or restaurants - although like the rest of San Jose I would say you should be alert and careful with where you walk. The gay bars/discos are within walking distance although it is only a short taxi ride for those more cautious.

I certainly look back on my stay at Casa 69 with fondness and hope it will not be long before I am back drinking wine with Kurt, Jenns and their friends........

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo

Reviewed 7 February 2009

San Jose may not be the kind of destination you look for when you come to Costa Rica. It's a gritty, noisy city. It won't matter much where you stay, the city s pretty much what it is. It is a contrast to the natural beauty of the surrounding landscapes of Costa Rica. However, there are a number of hidden gems, like the parks, museums and in the heart of the city there is a little oasis of comfort to stay in, Casa69. It is like a home away from home - only better. The rooms are pleasant, not pretentious, there is interesting art throughout and a sweet courtyard where breakfast is served that’s bright and colourful. The staff of Casa69 are welcoming, the owner charming and knowledgeable of Costa Rica and the city, and the location is near many of the sites the city has to offer. The environment of this place invites you to meet people, yet affords you the choice to be on your own too.

Better than most bed and breakfast I have been in, as you have your own private bathroom, there is a lot of space to mingle or to be secluded if you choose to not mingle with others. There actually are two properties, across the street from each other, and offer a variety of social or privacy options. The surprising thing was, the people there were so easy to get along with that you end up meeting interesting people and much of that should be credited to the host Kirk and his staff. Either way, if you don't let yourself be seduced by the charm of this place, the owner and his staff you will miss out on a great opportunity.

We stayed for a week and that may have contributed to our sense of home and a real appreciation for the staff, owner and patrons of this place. I almost don't want to praise this place too much as it may get too popular and they may have to increase their price or loose some pf its charm.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 January 2009

First of all the train does not run all day.Kurt and his staff were truly wonderful.I felt i was at home,breakfast was excellent and dinner superb(gracias Winston).The whole staff was nothing but kind,courteous and kind,I highly recommend this place.And to all that sat at the square table by reception i miss you.hope to come back soon .Love Marcos

• Stayed: January 2009
Reviewed 1 January 2009

I rarely use the phrase "home away from home", but it applies so well to my stay at Casa 69. The small hotel and house across the street have been expertly and tastefully renovated to provide extraordinary comfort in casually chic surroundings. Every detail, the linens, the furnishings, the gardens, the art, have been selected for visual appeal and for guest comfort. In addition, the staff is friendly and helpful. My friend and I felt so comfortable from the moment we checked in, that we added an additional day to our stay just to enjoy Casa 69.
We were also able to meet other guests from all over the world - everyone felt welcomed here and everyone was very friendly.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 December 2008

Overall, loved the hotel. Trendy setting with greatly decorated room. There are two sections to the hotel, one across the street, which is really nice- almost like a private home to ourselves. Kurt, the owner was AWESOME. He made reservations, called taxis, and gave us tons of valuable information. Also, the hosts working there were really friendly.

The food was excellent- especially the pancakes. For $4, you can't go wrong- you get 5 total too...Plus, whoever makes the coffee there needs to come make daily coffee for me...pure heaven.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 December 2008

When we first arrived here. we fell in love with the warmth and hospitality. Kurt, the owner, is absolutely awesome. Our room was nice and clean. I love the modern features i.e. bathroom fixtures, tv, king size bed, etc. There was a mini fridge as well and there is an honor system. A drink = $1.50. The price tag was like $40 a night! Perfect.

Kurt also gave us restaurant reservations and during his dinner with a friend, gave us walking directions to Cafe Mundo (a trendy, very average food) and we appreciated the customer service.

We did not hear the train come through and trust me, it wasn't that bad if we didn't notice it.

Breakfast was awesome as well. The outside patio, the colorful surrounding, the greenery, and the coffee cups . . we loved it all.

Thank you, Casa 69 for welcoming us city slickers back to civilization!

We will stay with you again when we are in town!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2008

We loved Casa 69. We stayed there for three nights and if we ever return to San Jose we will definitly stay there again. We loved the breakfast (fresh bread with butter and jam, fresh juice, coffee, fruit), the room was clean and comfortable, the staff was very friendly, and Kurt (the owner) was a charming host. Everyone who is staying or working at Casa 69 always looks like they're having such a good time. It was a very warm place to stay in San Jose. Also, the main city center was just a few blocks away so it was easy to get around. The hotel is small and feels very secure.

Stayed: October 2008