“Casa 69 was great”
Review of Hotel Casa 69

Hotel Casa 69
Ranked #1 of 67 San Jose B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 May 2009

I have never traveled to Costa Rica before. My husband and I stayed at Casa 69 on our way out of town. I was surprised that it was so luxurious and artsy. From the outside all you see is the painted security fence, but once inside Kurt and his staff really take care of you. They were so helpful. They called us a taxi last minute and we made our flight with time to spare. Breakfast was fresh fruit (being from Minnesota, I took full advantage of the pineapple and mango!), baguettes, coffee and really tasty juice. I would recommend this place to anyone traveling through San Jose. Not only is it centrally located, but the beds are huge and comfy, the people are great and it is really quite beautiful.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 April 2009

My boyfriend and I can not say enough good things about Casa 69, Kurt (the owner), and the staff. It is such a cute bed and breakfast with an artsy feel to it. It is walking distance to all of the bars and restaurants, but away enough that you can enjoy a little peace. Kurt was more than accomidating. We were about five hours early for check in, but were taken to our room without extra charge-which was a life saver after taking the red eye. It is honestly one of my favorite bed and breakfasts that I have ever stayed at. I highly recommend it to a charming, inexpensive, high quality place.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2009

We had a lovely stay at Casa 69 our first and last night in San Jose. Kurt was extremely helpful over email ahead of our visit, providing information on transportation, directions, and recommended places to visit while in Costa Rica.

The location is in the city, and was not as difficult for taxis to find as I might have thought. It is quite hidden. The rooms we stayed in were lovely -- beautiful art, clean bathrooms, comfortable beds, and a nicely stocked mini fridge. The breakfast was simple and perfect - bread, jams, fresh fruit and juice, and delicious coffee. The staff was very helpful and polite. The rooms had satellite tv which was a nice surprise, we were even able to watch part of march madness!

The only cons that come to mind is that our room the first night was a bit noisy. But it wasn't really a big deal for us city dwellers. We would definitely go back! It's always nice to support gay friendly businesses (that are also straight friendly!).

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2009

Our party of eight: me, my husband, his parents, my parents, my son & family friend stayed on 3 different occasions over a 15 day period while traveling the pacific & caribbean sides of Costa Rica. We enjoyed just about every room this place of wonder has to offer. Kurt & Elephant we will be back! Peace & Love Idofish

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2009

One would expect to pay a lot more for the accommodations offered at Casa 69. The rooms are clean, nicely decorated and very comfortable...all with updated baths, mini-bars, cable television, wireless internet, and a large safe (big enough to hold your laptop). Kurt has invested wisely to make sure that everyone enjoys their experience. Casa 69 is conveniently located and the best option when you need a SAFE place to stay in downtown San Jose.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 March 2009

A friend and I stayed at Casa 69 for 2 nights on our way in and out of Costa Rica. We were in the main house, downstairs, with 2 queen beds. One word describes Casa 69 - CHARMING! The house is so charming with tons of character but modern amenities and furnishings.

Room: The sheets were so soft and the room was very clean. The bathroom was spacious and the shower was delightful with great water pressure. The room also had a tv (with english speaking channels), a fridge with beverages, and a safe.

Main House: The rest of the house is so comfy. The courtyard was by far my favorite and made you forget you were in the middle of a city. The breakfast is very tasty (bread and jam is incredible) and the coffee is to die for. In fact, my friend and I purchased some to bring home - it was that good.

Staff: I cannot say enough about Kurt and his staff. The staff is super friendly and very helpful. Kurt is the most wonderful host and makes you feel like you are staying with an old friend. He was very helpful and a wealth of knowledge for the San Jose area - what to do, where to eat, and so on. And let's not forget about Tina...Tina is the B&B mascot of sorts. She is such a sweet dog, who enjoys a good rub and will howl when you stop. Too cute!

Overall this B&B is AMAZING! It definitely felt like a home away from home and when I come back to San Jose you can bet I am staying here.

Kurt and Staff - You have a wonderful place and thank you so much for making us feel so welcome. We had a fantastic time and can't wait to return one day. We wish you all continued success!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank NC_BeachGurl
Reviewed 26 March 2009

My experience at Casa 69 was as pain-free as it gets. First of all, when I made my reservation, the owner, Kurt, sent me an e-mail with detailed directions from the airport to Casa 69 in Spanish for me to print out and give to the taxi driver. I thought this was a superb idea which turned out to work just fine.
My room was impeccable and large. The bathroom was also very clean, although some users might find it a little bit small. The shower was excellent! Remember to leave your used towels on the floor.
Kurt was the best host you can find. I have stayed in $200-$300-a-night hotels, and I can say the attention at Casa 69 has been the best!! Kurt in completely fluent in English, German, and Spanish, so travelers will find it very easy to communicate with him. The staff at Casa 69 are very friendly and will make every effort to accommodate their guests.
The lobby in gorgeous, and serves as a relaxing place where you can plan your day in San Jose. There is free WiFi on the main house only, so you if your are on the other house you will have to go to the lobby to connect to the WiFi (bring your laptop).
A breakfast consisting of coffee, fresh bread, fruits, and natural fruit juice is included. They will prepare more substantial breakfast if you want, but you would have to pay a modest price.
A very important note is that they accept cash only at Casa 69, so be sure to have that in mind before you check out.
Overall, I would highly recommend Casa 69 to anyone visiting San Jose. The next time I return to the city, I will not even consider staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business