“San Jose's B & B Gem”

Ranked #1 of 67 San Jose B&B and Inns
Ivybridge, UK
“San Jose's B & B Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2009

My wife and I stayed at Casa 69 on our way into and out of Costa Rica. It was a perfect place to be in the rather untidy chaos of San Jose. Don't let the razor wire topped exterior put you off. Inside it's spacious, cool, welcoming, and interestingly-decorated. Above all there are the marvellous hosts, Kurt and Jens. There's nothing that's too much trouble for them and their friendly staff: advice and tips on so many things from where to eat to what to beware of, as well as a friendly and caring space to relax in; taxi bookings, too. You name it, they can pretty much cover everything you thought of. Not forgetting Tina the dog, too, another member of the household dedicated to give all guests fullest attention. The rooms are spotlessly clean, individual, comfortable and well-equipped - the mini-bar and safe are just right. Breakfast is superb - add on an egg dish (at reasonable extra charge) to the basic included breakfast of fresh fruit, breads and jam and you're set up for the day.
Casa 69 is about 25 minutes' walk west from downtown San Jose (take the Avenida 2 route for something a bit more scenic) and there are good restaurants nearby. The Trocadero, for example, 2 blocks away, does good steaks. It seemed pretty safe to walk around in surrounding Barrio California, which seems to be where the youth of SJ hang out and party - very 'student-ish' and unthreatening, although the local buildings and streets are nothing beautiful. Watch out for pavement obstacles! Good views of San Jose from the roof, by the way.
It felt really good to return to Casa 69 after a fine trip around the country. We'd have probably been disappointed anywhere else in San Jose.
Casa 69 is both gay and straight friendly, a great place to stay, where you're treated as a friend as much as a guest.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2009

Recently, I had the pleasure of staying at Casa 69 for five nights, and as a solo female traveler, I felt entirely safe and well-cared for. Kurt and the staff are marvelous hosts, and made me feel right at home from the moment I arrived until the moment I left. The staff provided invaluable assistance in arranging day trips into the rain forest, coffee plantations, volcano vistas and more. These were experiences that will remain with me forever! My room was clean and comfortable, with a pretty fountain and koi fish pond right outside my door. In the afternoons, after long and dusty adventures, I would shower and just relax with my windows open, listening to the peacefull lull of the fountain. I would, without hesitation, recommend Casa 69 to everyone considering a visit. Come and enjoy the most amazing and genuine hospitality in all of San Jose'!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
Austin, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2009

We stayed at Casa 69 on the way in and out of Costa Rica. It was recommended to us by the folks at Banana Azul in Puerto Viejo.

My boyfriend and I enjoyed Casa 69 IMMENSELY. Besides the fact that Kurt gently nudged me out of my comfort zone by forcing me to speak German with him (thank you by the way, I think I managed OKAY!), we were incredibly happy with the whole experience. The staff was extremely friendly and hospitable, and as a result of a moderately generous tip left upon our departure the first visit, we got a SWEET upgraded room when we came back for the second visit.

The beds were comfortable, the decorations fantastic. Fresh flowers everywhere, great recommendations on restaurants and nightlife, good advice on staying safe in the city after dark.

A wonderful experience! Thank you for helping to make our vacation unforgettable!!!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2009

This Bed and Breakfast in the heart of San Jose Costa Rica, has the best ambience that I have ever experienced. The owner, Kurt has a keen sense of what his guests needs. The rooms are all well appointed and clean. The staff is very helpful and attentive. I highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2009

I have never traveled to Costa Rica before. My husband and I stayed at Casa 69 on our way out of town. I was surprised that it was so luxurious and artsy. From the outside all you see is the painted security fence, but once inside Kurt and his staff really take care of you. They were so helpful. They called us a taxi last minute and we made our flight with time to spare. Breakfast was fresh fruit (being from Minnesota, I took full advantage of the pineapple and mango!), baguettes, coffee and really tasty juice. I would recommend this place to anyone traveling through San Jose. Not only is it centrally located, but the beds are huge and comfy, the people are great and it is really quite beautiful.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2009

My boyfriend and I can not say enough good things about Casa 69, Kurt (the owner), and the staff. It is such a cute bed and breakfast with an artsy feel to it. It is walking distance to all of the bars and restaurants, but away enough that you can enjoy a little peace. Kurt was more than accomidating. We were about five hours early for check in, but were taken to our room without extra charge-which was a life saver after taking the red eye. It is honestly one of my favorite bed and breakfasts that I have ever stayed at. I highly recommend it to a charming, inexpensive, high quality place.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2009

I was very impressed with CASA69. Right after we checked in, I decided that this is my home in San Jose. I can imagine coming back here many times for sure.

The owner(s): Kurt (not sure if there are other owners) and staff are very nice, professional and efficient.

Great things about CASA69: Beautiful. Very charming. Nice colors, clean, new, artistic, practical room (big closet, luggage table,,,), amenities (good quality shampoo and soaps), pretty gardens with sitting areas, wonderful breakfast. Important thing: The price is great. $40 including breakfast.

About me:
I can not think of any bad things about CASA69 which is rare because I am very difficult to please in terms of interior design or cleanliness or food I eat. I travel a lot for work and pleasure and this is one of the best place I ever stayed with $40.

CASA 69, please do not change!!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple