Hotel Casa 69
Balmoral Hotel(San Jose)
US$99
US$82
Official Hotel
Barcelo San Jose(San Jose)
US$113
US$95
  • Breakfast included
US$70
US$65
  • Breakfast included
US$96
All reviewsthe main housecosta ricarooftop patiocontinental breakfast isfresh fruitqueen roompizza hutcommuter traincoffee and juicea great place to staylate at nightheart of san josenational museuman oasissmall hotelcentral americarental car
Reviewed 30 May 2009

Casa 69 is amazing, located in the worst part of Costa Rica. We arrived at the San Jose Airport and went straight to Casa 69, we only spent one night there but that was more than enough. We were extremely surprised that the hotel was located down a narrow street, alley sort-of, next to the Nicaraguan Embassy, with lots of locals giving us scary stares. Not to mention we felt completely unsafe as there was barb wire surrounding the hotel and was told to never open the doors late at night if someone knocks.

The inside of the hotel was beautiful, the rooms were clean, and the jacuzzi in our room/garden was an extra treat. Nothing beats the adventure we had outside of our hotel when we decided to go out for dinner. We were told that we could walk around but that's just a BIG LIE!!!! Don't walk anywhere in San Jose once it's dark. We got chased by locals back into the hotel and had to call a cab to take us to the restaurant, then when we got there we were escorted from the cab to the hotel. The cab driver brought us back to our hotel and waited for us to get into the hotel safely.

My boyfriend and I woke up a beautiful breakfast which was great because we didn't sleep all night. The staff and the owners were amazing and really tried to calm our worries. We ended up going to an Argentinian restaurant for dinner and a tico place for lunch and the food was great at both places. Loved the hotel but hated San Jose!! Have a safe adventure in San Jose and run fast!! LMAO ;D

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2009

My wife and I stayed at Casa 69 on our way into and out of Costa Rica. It was a perfect place to be in the rather untidy chaos of San Jose. Don't let the razor wire topped exterior put you off. Inside it's spacious, cool, welcoming, and interestingly-decorated. Above all there are the marvellous hosts, Kurt and Jens. There's nothing that's too much trouble for them and their friendly staff: advice and tips on so many things from where to eat to what to beware of, as well as a friendly and caring space to relax in; taxi bookings, too. You name it, they can pretty much cover everything you thought of. Not forgetting Tina the dog, too, another member of the household dedicated to give all guests fullest attention. The rooms are spotlessly clean, individual, comfortable and well-equipped - the mini-bar and safe are just right. Breakfast is superb - add on an egg dish (at reasonable extra charge) to the basic included breakfast of fresh fruit, breads and jam and you're set up for the day.
Casa 69 is about 25 minutes' walk west from downtown San Jose (take the Avenida 2 route for something a bit more scenic) and there are good restaurants nearby. The Trocadero, for example, 2 blocks away, does good steaks. It seemed pretty safe to walk around in surrounding Barrio California, which seems to be where the youth of SJ hang out and party - very 'student-ish' and unthreatening, although the local buildings and streets are nothing beautiful. Watch out for pavement obstacles! Good views of San Jose from the roof, by the way.
It felt really good to return to Casa 69 after a fine trip around the country. We'd have probably been disappointed anywhere else in San Jose.
Casa 69 is both gay and straight friendly, a great place to stay, where you're treated as a friend as much as a guest.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2009

Recently, I had the pleasure of staying at Casa 69 for five nights, and as a solo female traveler, I felt entirely safe and well-cared for. Kurt and the staff are marvelous hosts, and made me feel right at home from the moment I arrived until the moment I left. The staff provided invaluable assistance in arranging day trips into the rain forest, coffee plantations, volcano vistas and more. These were experiences that will remain with me forever! My room was clean and comfortable, with a pretty fountain and koi fish pond right outside my door. In the afternoons, after long and dusty adventures, I would shower and just relax with my windows open, listening to the peacefull lull of the fountain. I would, without hesitation, recommend Casa 69 to everyone considering a visit. Come and enjoy the most amazing and genuine hospitality in all of San Jose'!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 May 2009

We stayed at Casa 69 on the way in and out of Costa Rica. It was recommended to us by the folks at Banana Azul in Puerto Viejo.

My boyfriend and I enjoyed Casa 69 IMMENSELY. Besides the fact that Kurt gently nudged me out of my comfort zone by forcing me to speak German with him (thank you by the way, I think I managed OKAY!), we were incredibly happy with the whole experience. The staff was extremely friendly and hospitable, and as a result of a moderately generous tip left upon our departure the first visit, we got a SWEET upgraded room when we came back for the second visit.

The beds were comfortable, the decorations fantastic. Fresh flowers everywhere, great recommendations on restaurants and nightlife, good advice on staying safe in the city after dark.

A wonderful experience! Thank you for helping to make our vacation unforgettable!!!!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2009

This Bed and Breakfast in the heart of San Jose Costa Rica, has the best ambience that I have ever experienced. The owner, Kurt has a keen sense of what his guests needs. The rooms are all well appointed and clean. The staff is very helpful and attentive. I highly recommend.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo