“Some good, a lot bad”

Ranked #56 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
santa rosa ca
“Some good, a lot bad”
Reviewed 26 February 2013

I book this hotel twice. The first time things where ok until it was time to leave. I received several call before the check out time trying to get me out. They said the have a reservation for the room... so did I! The second time I reserved a room they totally mess it up. I reserved a Mini-suite with my credit card, when I arrived they gave me a key to the smallest hotel room I had ever seen. I went back to the front desk where they told me there was a problem with the room I reserved... really. Long to short they let me out of the reservation and I move to another hotel; not fun!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Korean first
mississauga
Reviewed 31 January 2013

Had reservation for 3 nights, upon entering room we were overcome by the moldy smell . Room was clean but needs a serious renovation. Ricardo the front desk clerk was pushy and kept trying to sell us tours we said no, and when we tried to change the date for one on of our nights at the hotel he told us they had no room on that date. When he left we asked another employee and she confirmed they did have room, so Ricardo lied to us because we didnt take his tour and he didnt get his commision.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank eric j

Travellers are raving about these San Jose hotels

South Florida, Florida
Reviewed 29 January 2013

I've stayed in the Morazan around 20 times in all my travels through CR. I only like it because of the location, and that's about it. It's right slap in the middle of all the action. There are 5 casinos within minutes of each other from this spot. Right behind the hotel is a miniature dance spot called Key Largo (all working girls though) but it's nice just to go in and watch the action. Ricky Ricardo the door man is as about annoying as one can be. If you don't tip him, he will treat you differently through out your stay. Angie used to work the front desk, but not anymore, i sure miss her. Jose the Cuban guy is great, i think he went to the Europa. There is another Cuban girl that works nights that is an amazing woman too. They have a beautiful new girl working the front her name is Viviana, and they don't get much better looking than her.
The second floor is as noisy as all get out...the cars outside are a pain in the butt to listen to starting at about 5am. Also there is a disco/restaruant on the second floor that gets really loud on Friday and Saturday nights. However, what are you doing in your room on Friday and Sat nights??? So that shouldn't be a problem.
The drinks in that bar are expensive, the room service is expensive, but the tall goofy skinny dude that works in the bar at night is a great guy, i've known him for years.
For the most part the ladies that clean the rooms are very nice, including Grace the head house maid.
Cons (all in order)
RIcky Ricardo
Jose the manager
No WIFI
No Flat Screens
No Irons
Small Safes
Old furniture
Overpriced drinks and food in the restaurant
Price of rooms
No Fridge/Microwaves

PRO's
Angie/Vivian/Jose/Grace the head maid/Cuban chic that works nights
Location, Location, Location
Guest Friendly
did i mention Location??

Last bit of information. Don't use the pharmacy across the street, they are way overpriced. Just walk around, you'll find one that is much cheaper. The eye doctor across the street is a rip off also, i bought a pair of frames from him and when i got home they broke.

Last but not least, DO NOT wander around at night by yourself,
Hope this helps

Room Tip: If you want to sleep-in, in the morning, do not chose the second floors. The windows on the second...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Jordan K
Quepos, Costa Rica
Reviewed 7 January 2013

A delightful hotel in the heart of a great city. Within walking distance to many cultural and historical sights. It was easy to get to and I was checked into my room in friendly style. The staff was helpful and saw to my every need. The room was clean and had a homey feel to it and the bathroom...pristine white. Wi-Fi signal....excellent. Breakfast was included and quite delicious. Happy hour specials revive the weary traveler. The price was most reasonable...it's an excellent location to take in the downtown scene. I enjoyed the shopping and bustle of city-life. My only regret...I didn't take in the casino...it looked fun.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Alinor777
London
Reviewed 23 November 2012 via mobile

Good average for the price. Recommended.

Pros:
- good location in middle of town.
- good security
- air con, room safe (extra charge), clean towels and bedding, soap, shampoo, plenty of hot water, free wi-fi on all floors, hairdryer, TV.
- lift (elevator)
- Reasonably clean
- Fried breakfast with bacon eggs, fruit salad and fruit juice, not at all bad. (Breakfast room a bit scruffy).
- Nice people (although no doubt underpaid, and you may have to work a bit to get behind the masks of a couple of "cool dudes")

Cons:
- rather tired and scruffy
- dated decorations
- musty smells
- battered and dated furniture
- big old 80s TVs
- through-the-wall 80s air con units, noisy, cheap and old
- crummy metal-framed windows with louvred glass
- paint splashes and carpet stains here and there
- TV in breakfast room, always on loud. (For whose benefit?)
- scruffy surroundings (normal for central SJ) but feels quite safe
- noise at night from lively bar nearby (stops about 12.00)

Looks like it had aspirations 30-plus years ago and was well-specified for then. But it has fallen behind the times, and maintenance and replacement have been skimped. You probably get the picture.

Ideally one might like them to upgrade the windows, curtains (drapes), electrical equipment, bathroom fittings, furniture, decorations etc. But that would put it into a higher price band, which is already well served by western chain hotels.

There is a busy but rather down-market casino (mostly coin-op machines) on the ground floor.

At night you will probably see men in the company of younger women, who are probably not their wives (not least because they are smiling at them). But that is everywhere in SJ. Security seems to take very seriously the job of making sure it does not cause any problems.

On balance it is good value, and a perfectly adequate place to stay for a short time if you're not too prissy. I paid £33 a night for a double with shower. Recommended.

Chris

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Mr_Allsop
Ingleside, Canada
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Excellent reasonably priced hotel in the downtown of San Jose on corner of Calle7 and Ave.1. Comfortable well-furnished room with excellent bed and linens. Hot showers. Strong box available upon request. I arrived at 0900 and they were kind enough to give me my room right away at no extra cost too. Competitive rates at $57 for single. Try their buffet on the 2nd floor restaurant. Not elegant but excellent Tico style food and friendly staff. For less than CRC3500, I left stuffed to the limit.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on Ave 1 side. If your room is overlooking the Key Largo bar, you wont get a lot o...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Diverdan28
Reviewed 27 September 2012 via mobile

Ireally dislike leaving negative comments, but I was itchIng for days after sleeping in one of their beds. They have a great location so I was able to stay out of the room & enjoy my time in San Jose.

The women who worked there were helpful & caring, even though their male bosses seemed to not treat them well. This hotel can do a lot to improve.

• Stayed January 2012