“Amazing food and fun owners”
Review of Ka'Kau - CLOSED

Ka'Kau
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: "Ka'Kau has the best breakfast in Costa Rica, it is not typical local food, which is nice and refreshing, as it can be hard to find North American/European breakfast options.They have all day breakfast, cakes, lunch, early dinner and delicious coffee made from a very special blend unique to Ka'Kau. Their bread pudding is life changing and their Banoffe pie needs an honorable mention. Everything is homemade and made fresh daily, including the bread.The owners are Maik, who is a trained pastry chef from Germany but spent many years working in restaurants in London and his lovely wife Beatriz run the place and always welcome guests with a smile.I do not own the restaurant but my husband and I go every Saturday for breakfast and if we can make it for lunch during the week too. Their food is amazing and travelers need to know. we are originally from Canada but currently living in Costa Rica.They even have delicious snacks that we stock up on before we travel around the country, such as muffins, cookies and the best granola.We really hope you visit this place so you can see for yourself and give it the recognition it deserves".
Reviewed 15 October 2011

I got hooked on this place at first for the desserts--try the bread and butter pudding, by far my favorite dessert ever. The place looks more like a nice open bakery but I discovered the food which is excellent. Great breakfasts, good burgers too. The restaurant serves better food than many other restaurants recommended to me in the area. I'll always go back. If you get a chance to meet and talk with the owners, Maik and Beatriz, they're very cool . You won't be disappointed in this place, make sure you check it out.

Reviewed 14 October 2011

Brilliant food, always fresh, lovely desserts Banana-Toffee is just so delicious, I would highly recommend Ka'Kau to anyone looking for the tastiest, freshest food in town, using really fresh, high quality ingredients.
Staff is helpful and welcoming, and the shop itself is beautiful.

1  Thank WILLCRUK
Reviewed 13 October 2011

For over 6 months, I go regularly at KaKau. KaKau is a lovely setting for a relax meal with friends though experiencing fine cuisine. I love having late breakfast and theirs are so delicious! I love having an afternoon Expresso with a pastry, theirs are so exquisite! Simply put I love everything they have on the menu and I particularly love bathing in their friendly atmosphere! I feel at home...

1  Thank Janine F
Reviewed 7 October 2011

Absolutely THE best food you can find in Escazu area. Great location, easy to find. Great service!
Breakfast , lunch and dinner are superb!. Make sure you leave room for desert...Cakes are their specialty. Great coffee!
Will go back for sure!!! Highly recommend!

2  Thank RedSunTravel
Reviewed 6 October 2011

The staff and owners are super friendly and attentive and we're greeted and given a menu within a minute of sitting down, which is quite rare in Costa Rica.

As for the food selection, it is a mixture of breakfast, lunch and delicious pastries. It turns out that the owner and head chef is a trained pastry chef, so, we had high expectations of the pastries of course.

We weren't disappointed by the pastry selection. My favorite was the banoffee pie, a mix of shortcake base, banana and sticky toffee with whipped cream on top! I had this after my burger which was fantastic! I was so stuffed and wanted to try more, but I couldn't because I was so full. I did however go back another day and had a different pastry and this time the English breakfast.

Food aside, the restaurant is roomy and the atmosphere is bright and relaxed. Oh, and the music is actually quite good too!

My favorite foods there are the steal sandwich, burger, english breakfast, pancakes and oh, the french toast is amazing. Check it out, I'm sure you'll absolutely love it.

4  Thank CScappa