Casa Laurin B&B
Apartotel & Suites Villas del Rio(San Rafael de Escazu)
US$107
Courtyard by Marriott San Jose Escazu(San Rafael de Escazu)
US$98
Courtyard
Holiday Inn San Jose-Escazu(San Rafael de Escazu)
US$124
US$202
US$179
Aparthotel Casa Reflejos(San Rafael de Escazu)(Great Value!)
US$57
Wyndham Garden San Jose Escazu(Escazu)(Great Value!)
US$101
Posada El Quijote(Escazu)(Great Value!)
US$85
US$89
Colours Oasis Resort(San Jose)(Great Value!)
US$72
US$70
US$95
US$93
All reviewsdental workat homecosta ricaother guestsrental carsan josefrench toastbanana pancakesmakes you feelhighly recommend a stayarrange tourstaxi driverdental tourismbeautiful roomvisiting familyfelt like homeforeign country
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 October 2011

My first visit to Costa Rica was in 2010 for dental surgery/implants. We had stayed near the dental offices in San Jose for one week...this time we chose to stay in Escazu both for its proximity to the dental offices/taxis as well as being a bit "out of the city". While we are not " B&B " type people as we like to keep to ourselves on vacation (and we are absolutely NOT sterile chain hotel people either), we do appreciate great customer service and walk to services .. and as we are also on a budget, we needed to have breakfast included. We booked at the last minute and chose Casa Laurin B & B because of Ginette's prompt emails to our inquires and her "procrastinator discounts". Ginette provided us a true "home away from home" without feeling like "Mom and Dad" were watching our every move and setting strict "house rules" and curfews. She was warm, welcoming, offered great advice on where to eat and what to do, and offered us a delicious made to order breakfast every morning. While some B&B's make us feel uptight as if we are not guests, rather paying intruders, we felt very comfortable in her immaculate home (and we were welcome to raid the fridge in the middle of the night on a very reasonable honor system) ! The location was close to everything and felt very safe. While a "house is not a home" , Ginette's home was our home away from home, complete with free wi-fi, beautiful grounds, a hearty breakfast, plenty of books, magazines, board games , the aforementioned fridge, the late night computer to use when my cell died, and Ginette, a smart, warm classy woman with a great sense of humor who is fluent in three languages, especially making everyone feel at home.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 September 2011

Amazing hostess. Outstanding staff. You can count on being treated with dignity and respect.
Casa Laurin in San Rafael de Escazu can be your home away from home during your dental procedures. Book at Casa Laurin but only if you demand the very best!

Felicidades en su nueva casa Ginnette! Espero le vaya de lo mejor.

Sin mas,
RM Daniel
Durango, CO

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RM D
Reviewed 26 September 2011

My grandmother and I were lucky enough to find Casa Laurin just a week prior to going to Costa Rica. We were flustered because,we reserved one week, and we had to find a permanent residence in that time. We were pleasantly surprised when we met our hostess and she took an interest in guiding us through the, initially difficult to decipher, bus system and was even kind enough to aid us in our effort to find a new home. And just as lovely as the hostess was her home; we were very comfortable in our room and got to enjoy a delicious breakfast every morning we stayed (as a part of our arrangments). The garden was very well tended and it was an all-in-all great time. I would definitely recommend this to my friends and family and can't wait to go back to Casa Laurin.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank ybarr008
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I have lived from one side of the world to the other, (Italy to Hawaii, to be more precise), in the past 30 yrs, but have never experienced such a more pleasurable, restful, adventurous, beneficial, nineteen days in my entire life as I experienced most recently in Costa Rica. Staying at the Casa Laurin was 'just what the Dr. ordered', We have had the misfortune of experiencing several of the top '10 Stressors' in my family in the past eight months, to include death, job loss after sixteen yrs, moving, etc. all of which take a toll on anyone. Having decided to see to our impending dental needs we ventured to San Jose with much hesitancy. STOP!!! That was with 'much dread' that I started this venture! Two DAYS before leaving, plans started changing along with accommodations and 'Casa Laurin' became our destination with no idea of where we were headed! How fortunate, indeed, was it for us as I hope many of you will experience upon reading this.
Ginette, your 'hostess', greets you as if you are returning home from a long journey. She will usher you to your 'heavenly' room that is so pristinely crisp and cheerful with Gloria's special touches; you find yourself instantly in awe, thus, the beginning of a new, long relationship with new friends at 'Casa Lurin'. When the internet was down due to storms (and it wasn't even AT&T!) Ginette hopped in a taxi and directed the driver (in fluent Spanish) to take us to an 'internet cafe' so that we could return our families' inquiring calls from earlier in the day. She leaves nothing undone in her calming, directive mannerisms and even remembers many things that you find yourself leaving 'undone' due to the haste of travel.
We have been home only two & half days, now; already, I find myself wondering, 'why was her french toast so much better than mine?', or, 'wonder if I can make those omlettes or banana pancakes taste that good?' With everything she creates at breakfast, you find yourself anxious for the next surprise! Every morning is a flurry of smiles, fresh fruit, smiles, a fantastic breakfast served with more smiles and offers to come to your aid of almost anything you could possibly find yourself needing to make your trip more complete. Ginette is fluent in Spanish, English (and of course, French, her first language) and more helpful than my speaking the English lanuage (of which I have destroyed, naturally, even after over 50 yrs!) She is most ready to assist one on shopping ventures on the bus to the BIG city of San Jose or to just peruse the smaller areas of Escazu.
There is just 'nothing' we can say negative about our 'dental/holiday' in Costa Rica largely and most assuredly 'thanks to' the staff and Ms Ginette at Casa Laurin whom we now proudly call some of our 'closest friends'.
We are, most assuredly, already planning our next visit in six months to 'have our teeth cleaned' in Costa Rica, (where else? after all, our dentist is there!) and hopefully, there will be smiles at 'Casa Laurin' waiting for our return!
Please, Ginette, save me a room and a spot in that beautifully landscaped tropical garden to sit and meditate, for I know a place to go, now when I REALLY need to get away!
Oh yes! and Costa Rica, the country and the 'Ticos' (local people) what a grand country they are indeed, for we fell in love with it all, 'Pura Vida'!
Pictures will be coming, we promise!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 September 2011

If you're looking for a warm, friendly, clean, homey and affordable place to stay on your next trip to San Jose, Costa Rica, do explore Casa Laurin. I'm here for dental work and have been calmed by knowing I have a cozy home away from home with a caring hostess, comfortable room and access to home via a couple of internet options (VOIP and Wireless). You will not be disappointed!
Terry (Portland, OR).

Room Tip: Be specific about what you need
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo