“Sunday breakfast”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Went with my husband and two children (ages 1 & 3). The place was packed. We had to wait maybe 10 minutes for a table. Had the best cappuccino and my daughter had the best French toast I have ever tasted. Service was a little slow. We sat outside but went inside to pay and it was hot, I would not have been able to eat in there. We will be back

2  Thank Laurenn K

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Just like the title says, this place is overrated. But then again, it is the only French pastry place in Escazu and sometimes their stuff is good, so I can see why it gets all these accolades. Their desserts are delicious, the chocolate croissant is not. After years of just going there for the pastries and bread, we finally decided to give the restaurant side of it a chance (everyone says it is delicious). The steak with pepper sauce was absolutely delicious (probably one of the best steaks in the Escazu area and that sauce!!!), the croque monsieur was okay (the cheese on top was thickly cut and not melted enough and the sandwich itself was slightly toasted so the bread was falling apart), and the chicken sandwich was good. So overall, two out of three ate well. My issue is that if you are going to be a "French" restaurant, then you should do French well and my croque monsieur was not good.

*And I'm pretty sure that picture is not of Chez Christophe, but one of the restaurant's in Paco.

Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

People go here only because the name..but quality..0..a lent service and the product normal for a soda..not a place to come back

1  Thank danilolara
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Every trip we make to San Jose, Escazu from the Carribean Coast, is not complete until we visit this lovely French bakery and restaurant. My favorite is the almond crossiant with a double cappucino. A big variety of sweets to choose from....

Reviewed 22 October 2013

I find this place to be quite amusing in the draw of fancy parents, nannys and un-disciplined children climbing on the glass display case and chairs. Somehow the crowd that comes here thinks this is what fresh, french baked goods taste like....such a shame as this place has such potential but lacks the real ingredients and a sense of European flare. I think Le Petite France in Curridabat, Restaurant Colbert in Varablanca near Poas or Brillocco (italian) in Plaza Itscazú is better priced, fresh and much much tastier and authentic. Plus there is an owner presence, more friendly staff and fresher more authentic product.

Maybe this bakery was once owned by a french chef but that person has since moved on. It's such a shame.

I have been here a handful of times and everytime is lackluster. The pastries are overpriced (to be expected in Escazú), not super fresh nor super tasty. Just sugary. We did enjoy a chocolate cake with chocolate shavings on top once at a birthday party but other than that I have not been super impressed. My question is: where is the french presence? Where is the floor manager? The wait staff is not very passionate nor interested in their job.

The caprese salad is not a caprese salad but a pile of way too many thinly sliced tomatoes (around 30 slices), a few pieces of mozz and a dollop of pesto. Some onions and small, non-meaty, cheap calamata olives are on top for decoration but it's strange because that's not what goes on a caprese salad....it seems like there is no chef making the dishes just some line cooks. such a shame. the place has such potential and could really use a "face-lift" on its logo (a big pink bow ribbon-- cheesy and outdated) in my opinion.

3  Thank Katma_12