“Stay here”

King Eider Inn of Barrow Alaska
Ranked #2 of 5 Barrow B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This is an excellent choice for a stay in Barrow. It is literally kitty-corner from the airport terminal, the staff is friendly and very helpful. The rooms are clean and spacious. There is free internet with decent speed, good hot water and free coffee. The bathroom in my room did not have a tub, just a shower, so beware of this if it is an issue for you.

The room was a little warm for my tastes with no obvious way to change it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Lindsay W

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed at the King Eider Inn in Barrow for two nights in June 2014. The inn is in the best location being very close (less than 100 meters I think) to the airport where it is easy to walk to with your baggage. The inn has all the key amenities, the staff very pleasant, is clean and very warm. It is also a short easy walk to the rest of Barrow. Barrow is a different quiet place to visit and experience.

Whilst they have no restaurant, all the local menus are located down stairs and many will also deliver should you not want to head out.

They recommended and I also used Mike to show me around Barrow. He is knowledgeable and a fun local character:
Mike Shults
Mobile: 907-355-2204, 907-367-4972
Email: shults53@hotmail.com

Enjoy Barrow and the contrast that this provides to the rest of Alaska.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Daniel_R011
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I've stated here twice, the last even after a new hotel opened in Barrow. I just like the mom and pop feel of the King Eider Inn! And I love free coffee with flavored creamer each morning. Rooms are clean! Front desk staff friendly!

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank sara l
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The convenience of walking across the street to the King Eider Hotel is great. We caught a plane that arrived about 10:05 am into Barrow with stops in Fairbanks & Prudhoe Bay from Anchorage and our room wasn't ready. We then signed everything for the room and Ford Explorer, left our luggage, and headed out to our favorite places.
The luggage was in our room once we returned. The reception people were very helpful. Shoes are taken off when you walk in the door and there is a nice sitting area for reading, game playing, etc. just inside. However, they still DON'T have bathrooms for those who must check out of their rooms. It is a HUGE, Distasteful negative with the King Eider Inn. The carpet is a bit worn but the room is very spacious, has free Wi-Fi, a nice desk, refrigerator, and we had a front view. We would still recommend the King Eider!
We were very disappointed to hear that Sam and Lee's was closed as they were on vacation. That was our favorite breakfast spot. Also Pepe's North Of The Border is closed as it burned down, limiting the choices for eating in Barrow. There is a new restaurant called Niggivikput "Our Place to Eat" located in same building as Top of the World Hotel. The Top of the World burned down and has been newly built. Not sure if the hotel is being used yet. Right now it is a mud pit trying to get into the restaurant. I tried to write a review but there isn't any listing.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank luvcruzin2
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed at the King Eider Inn a few times for business and found that it was a great hotel. The rooms were clean and spacious. One of the stays I had a mini kitchenette and the other I didn't. It was nice to have the mini kitchenette because the price of the restaurants in the area are very expensive. The front desk staff was great! They remembered me by name on my second trip. The walls are a little thin and noise could be heard from the other rooms and hallway. I also wish the hotel WiFi was a little speedier but I think that is about all you get anywhere in Barrow. Cell reception in the rooms was to be desired but again, it is Barrow. When I first arrived, I was met with a sign requesting that all guests remove their shoes. I was a little taken back by that but I truly understand why. They are trying to keep their lobby and rooms clean and keep all of the snow and salt out. I also rented a car from the hotel since there are no car rentals at the airport. The price of the car was very expensive but I guess is expected in Barrow. The price of the rooms on the other hand were cheaper than a lot of hotels in the lower 48 states. I was glad to see that. I have another trip approaching and am looking forward to staying there again!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank FD911
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We just returned from a three night stay at the King Eider and this hotel far exceeded my expectations. The super friendly and helpful staff, the clean and comfortable rooms and the amazing hospitality are all reasons to stay here. The hotel has a very friendly cozy feeling, from the fire place and chess set in the lobby to taking off one's shoes when you enter the lobby. The full kitchenette is a plus, complete with pots, pans dishes and silverware. We actually saw the Top Of The World hotel and from the outside, it looks too corporate, not inviting like the King Eider. One goes to Barrow as a tourist to interact with the people. The King Eider aids in this and makes the trip more enjoyable. The walk from the airport to the lobby was far shorter that the walk to the parking garage in Phoenix!!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank leol787
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We stayed 2 nights at the inn, very close to the airport, but not noisy.

The room was clean and decent size, I like the bathroom especially as the shower (is it not just a tube with shower curtain, it is more like a shower cubicle). The inn has free wifi, and a lot of tv channels.

Jack (front desk) was very help in recommanding places to eat, visit and tour guide (although our tour guide decided not to show up).

I would stay here again if I go back to Barrow.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jules025

Been to King Eider Inn of Barrow Alaska? Share your experiences!