“A memorable experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Happy Trails Kennel

Happy Trails Kennel
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Big Lake
More attraction details
Owner description: Offers tours of the kennel operated by 4-time Iditarod champion
Atlanta, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“A memorable experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

We visited Martin's Kennel on our way up to Denali. What we thought would just be a stop to break up a long trip to the Park turned out to be memorable. I am neither a dog nor Iditarod fan, but what Martin has put together here is much bigger than dogs or a dog race. He explains his approach to life and how to be successful in what he does; he explains how he approaches racing and what it takes to be a winner. Meshing his philosophy with a detailed explanation of the Iditarod and his dogs makes this visit nothing short of amazing. This should be a "must see" on your visit to Alaska.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Elena J

Greensburg, Indiana
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

I am very much a dog lover and the morning spent at the kennel was wonderful. Would love to go back, besides the t shirt I bought is about worn out. Would love to have another.

Visited July 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
265 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 202 helpful votes
“A delightful surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

I was certain I was going to be bored prior to arriving at Happy Trails. Not being a dog person, I knew that this was going to be a horrible morning. Good thing that sometimes I am wrong. I was happily surprised with Martin and his family. I learned about sled dogs and found that fascinating. The family is warm and inviting and made us feel so very welcome. They are just finishing up the new small theater where Martin talked to us and then showed a short video. After that we went out to the kennel area where he told us about what he does and about the dogs. A decent box lunch was provided and while we ate his son Rohn gave another demonstration. The outdoor eating area has a cover that protects you from rain but you are still outdoors. After lunch they hooked up some dogs to a sled and Rohn mushed them around the kennel area. We left with some little dog booties with trading cards, which Martin and Rohn were kind enough to sign for me. I would love to return sometime.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank pitufo00
Fort Myers, Florida
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“One of my Best Alaska Memories”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

We stopped at the Kennels and were greeted by both Martin Buser and his wife. We were treated to a talk and demonstration of sled dog gear by Rohn Buser, Martin's son and up-and-coming musher himself. He answered our multitude of questions, then treated us to a demonstration of the dogs in action, which is amazing! I have always enjoyed following the Iditarod, but now have a personal interest in rooting for one of the mushers. I suggest this as a "must see" when visiting Alaska.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank sallysue1279
Charlotte, North Carolina
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Awesome to see”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

We stopped at the Buser's kennel on the way to our cruise ship. We had seen so much in the past few days - I honestly wasn't expecting much from the kennel visit. I am a "dog person" but though it would be a commercialized rendition of a kennel. The whole Buser family was out there talking to us, letting us pet the dogs - and the puppies! Oh my - so adorable. The dog sled run was so neat - these dogs are literally born to run. Martin Buser is a very decorated musher. I would highly recommend a visit to this kennel.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Debby G

Been to Happy Trails Kennel? Share your experiences!