“Our Son's Wedding”
Review of Sunset View Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Big Lake
Sunset View Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Big Lake B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 August 2013

This place is AWSOME, it was perfectly suited for the wedding that we had at your place, the Kicthen, was very well put together and easy to use, as was the game room and hair salon for the ladies. There was plenty of things for the children to do, all the yard games and the padel boat and canoes. The grounds were well kept, nice flowers mowed grass and just NICE! The view from the house was just breathtaking, nice lake and Mt. Mckinley are unforgetable. They say the bugs are bad at this time of year but they aren't anything like in Maine, I would say no bugs, just if you went for a walk in the woods there were some. Just a wonderful place to have a family function such as we did, THANK YOU SOON MUCH! This was in July 2013.

Room Tip: Everyone seemed to be completely SATISFIED!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Claude P

Reviewed 9 August 2013

We stayed at the Sunset View Resort for a wedding last month. All three houses and the grounds were beautiful. Everything was immaculate. I have four small children and they all had a blast running around and exploring. Thank you for an amazing experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mary D
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We attended a family wedding here & stayed at both the big house at venue along w/Creekside. Both houses were amazing. The view for the wedding on the lawn was fantastic! I believe everyone in the wedding party & guests all felt facilities were top notch. I would highly recommend having a wedding or any big group function here.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Roxymom4
Reviewed 1 June 2013 via mobile

Watching a Northern sunset next to Denali after dining on the water -- wow! The grounds and the rooms are kept with the perfection of a good pilot. You have to take your shoes off, and the layout suggests they are able to keep building and improving because of weddings. The view will take your breath away. Our waitress, a teacher, provided superlative service and the food was surprisingly good for a place where people boat in to eat.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Chuck N
Reviewed 26 December 2012

The good: We loved the view of Denali and the lake was very peaceful.

The bad: My family was looking forward to using the canoes to ride on the lake. We flew all the way from Pennsylvania with a four hour time difference and that's the only thing that was on my three-year-old son's mind, riding on the lake in one of the procided canoes. On the second day my 3-year-old son and I woke up early due to the 4 hour time difference. He was so excited to take one of the canoes out for ride on a sunny, calm morning. I secured him with one of the provided life jackets and we headed out in the provided canoe. However, we only made it out short distance when one of the other guest broke the silence, screaming at us that the owner does not allow guests to use the canoes on the day of the wedding. They were so worried that the folks renting the place would lose their deposit because the owner stated in the contract that boat use was prohibited and we headed back into port. I will never forget the look of disappointment on my boy's face as we had to prematurely end the ride he had been anticipating with such enthusiasm. This rule must have been designed to keep unruly partiers from abusing the boat use, but this overall rule ,which put our hosts entire contract in jeapordy, left my nonpartying family very disappointed.

Also, we stayed in the Creekside place and it has a gorgeous view, but the electrical and steam powered showers are dangerous. My boy nearly burns himself on the scalding steam vent and the towel holder fell over, nearly landing on his head. The house gives a feeling of trying to be more decadent than it really is and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone with children.

• Stayed: August 2012
AlaskaResort, Owner at Sunset View Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2013

In reference to Set in a beautiful location,/not so good for weddings and Deceitful Owner Ruined My Wedding,all which stayed in August 2012, The contract states nothing about the canoe or that a refund would be forfeited for the use during wedding day. This sounds more like a dispute between family than with Sunset View.
Creekside Lodge does not have any steam showers and as far as the towel holder, one was broke due to someone pulling or hanging on it.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

I was maid of honor at a friends wedding (August 2012) so I was intimately aware of the negotiations between the family of the bride and the owner. Suffice to say that what the family was lead to believe when the contract was signed was not in turn what happened. The rooms were great and the location was beautiful, but the owner who most certainly did not deliver what she promised created enough stress to ruin the experience. I would definitely not recommend the location for a wedding.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank VictoriaRK
Reviewed 15 October 2012

What a fantastic stay. Kathy, you really made our stay memorable with your professional approach. Our group consisted of 10 x Ozzie adventurers, who were travelling across from Fairbanks to Anchorage to board our Alaskan Cruise. We had 3 x great nights at the McKinley View, in rooms that would rival any five star Luxury Hotel. The advantage we had was having the home to ourselves, being able to cook-in (having had enough of restaurant food) and sitting around just relaxing and catching up with some fun and laughter. Thanks Kathy it was great and we will be back sometime during winter......

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends

Been to Sunset View Resort? Share your experiences!