Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa
Sofitel
US$382
US$359
  • Pool
Hotel Les Tipaniers(Moorea)(Great Value!)
US$167
US$384
US$319
US$271
  • Beachfront
Village Temanoha(Cook's Bay)(Great Value!)
US$134
3,568 results
All reviewscrepe barcrepesgarden bungalowfrench polynesiafishour honeymoonlilikoiatv tourplunge poolalbert tourswater bungalowrented a carrum drinksbreakfast buffettiki villagepanoramic viewsharks swimming
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I was looking for a wedding experience that was different from the typical cookie cutter wedding, and the Hilton Moorea didn't disappoint. They had several wedding packages to choose from, with different price points. I went with the To'a, it had it all. The Hilton staff treated us like VIPs from the moment we arrived. We arrived at 8 am, so we had to wait several hours for our room to be ready. I was able to meet with the wedding planner and book our dinners and massages during the wait. We spent some time on the beach, ate lunch, and before we known it, our room was ready ( an hour early).

The buffet breakfast was amazing. The omelet and crapes station was the best. We filled up at breakfast, then easily shared a lunch plate. We had a private dinner on the beach, which I highly recommend. It is very pricy, but if you break it down, it includes a wonderful experience, a private waiter, a cocktail, a bottle of wine, a three course dinner, and desert. So, with one cocktail costing $15, it's actually a worth the $400. Ours was included in the wedding package, but I will defiantly do it again when I return someday.

The massage was great. Look for the spa deal of the day. It was on a sign at the pool, and not listed in the massage menu. We got a one hour "after the sun" massage for 100 xpf. That's a great price anywhere, but especially at a hotel in Moorea.

The wedding day was incredible! It was everything I could imagine. The planning was perfect, the decorations were beautiful, and the performers were awesome! I easily combined a traditional Polynesian ceremony with American influence. It was no problem for the wedding staff, and I never felt like I was bridezilla. The hotel was even gracious when I, minutes before the ceremony, asked for a flat platform to put on the sand so my husband could stomp on a bagged wine glass ( Jewish custom). They even had a professional photographer, Joanna, who took wonderful pictures and was very nice and easy to work with. I give the entire wedding experience a 10.

Over all, the Hilton Moorea was a beautiful property, had clean comfortable rooms, good food and wonderful staff. I don't want to mess it up for future honeymooners, but it was even family friendly. We will defiantly return.

TIPS: rent a car and buy some booze from the local store. It will save you hundreds of XPFs and $$$$s. It's not only a better bargain, but if you plan to spend time snorkeling off your dock and lounging around, it's nice to have your own cocktails available.

The Alberts shark and ray lagoon tour was the best tour I have ever been on, ever!

Room Tip: All of the rooms were good, but the rooms on the east side seemed to be getting hammered with wind in the afternoon.
2  Thank Sarah M
kpeyras, Directeur général at Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear Guests,

I sincerely thank you for sharing your comments.
I am glad to read that your stay, your wedding, your romantic dinner went perfectly.

We would like to thank you again for choosing the Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa for your special celebration; hoping to welcome you back one day in our hidden paradise.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Just got back this morning and what a great time. I saw another recent post, that was negative and all I can say is there is no pleasing some types of people. From the time we arrived, for our wedding, we were treated great. Everyone went out of their way to help us, and we are no one special.

The room was awesome! We were in OTW bungalow, 96, and had a great time. Nothing better than hopping out of the bed and into the warm ocean and snorkeling with fish. Room was clean, well presented and just had an awesome view. It was amazing. Wedding package just made it even better, especially for the wife. Staff was always there when needed and did great.

Food was awesome. The breakfast buffet was off the chart. Lunch was always good, but like another person said we split the lunch after a huge breakfast. Dinner was good. The Wednesday show and buffet was real good. The performers were a highlight. You better hit the creeps bar. Get a salty crepe and then a sweet crepe for desert. Good food, watching sharks troll, pretty cool. We had one bad waiter, Tam, that seemed to follow us one night. He was bad, but nothing is perfect. There were several other that more than made up for it. To name a few Rotikki, Stephan, and all the girls at breakfast and the Rotui bar, all great people.

The activities were a blast. We had a man named John on 4x4 tour. A native Mo'orean and well versed in his culture was awesome learning event. I highly recommend Alberts for the lagoon tour. What a blast. First off swimming with rays and sharks is cool enough. I mean you are right there in the water with them. And the rays love people. The sharks swim right next to you and seem to not care, so don't be scared. But, the highlight was a crazy dude named Siki (guessing on spelling). This dude is legendary. Your first impression of him is unnerving. He is a short local. With a beard and dread locks. Don't let this fool you. He stole the show. Spoke in French, English and Japanese and was an entertainer. To boot, he is very intelligent and teaches you about the culture. Then you hit the motu for lunch. Wow! They had great food, but the ceviche is legendary. I'm not even a huge seafood person and mowed three huge servings. And they have people help make it.

The resort was great. Nice beach, good things to do and spotless. Loved every part of it. The lagoon is awesome and safe. We saw the other big hotels and I think the Hilton had the best property by far. Only the Sofitel was close. Oh yeah, the spa was great. Wife got me to two massages, worth it guys.

The only downside is the price of food. It is very pricey, especially alcohol. The booze is way over priced and makes airports look like a bargain. But, we knew that going in and get the location, but still could be cheaper. One tip, get a car first day and go explore. Go out and but your beers and alcohol or hit duty free. Wife called that one and I got lazy. But, still didn't take away from experience.

I may not be the fanciest guy, but have been around and this place was at the top. We were treated so well by the staff. They really try and go out of their way. Be patient with the language barriers and remember you are in a French territory. They speak two other languages and try their best with English and do a good job.

I highly recommend this property to all, even those with kids. What an experience and thank you to the staff for making providing a life long memory. Spend the money and enjoy, just know going in it is a big trip and you will be ok. Also, better exchange on credit card, use as little cash as you can.

1  Thank Ken Z

Dear Guests,

Thank you for sharing your so detailed review. We are pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us, it is nice to read that every moment spent in French Polynesia was a delight and a life long memory.

The team and I thank you again for choosing the Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa for your holidays in French Polynesia.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Spent 2 wonderful nights at the Hilton, and couldn't have been happier with our choice. We arrived at 8:30AM after taking a ferry from Papeete. We knew our bungalow would not be ready at that time, so had packed our swimsuits to change in to on our arrival. We were warmly greeted by the front desk staff and given a lei and a lovely cold welcome drink. It should be noted that only the bungalows are air conditioned, and the common areas have ceiling fans. They provided us with a "transition" bungalow, so we could shower and freshen up after our long flight. They then stored our luggage while we went out to enjoy the pool and beach. Early to mid afternoon they presented us with our key to our overwater bungalow, and drove us down with our luggage on a golf cart. The young bell hop went through the bungalow with us on our arrival to show us the amenities provided. The bathroom is very large, and it was nice to have the double sinks, and a separate tub and shower. There was lots of counter space, good lighting and a great make up mirror. Loved how there is an opening from the bathroom to the bedroom between the mirrors, bringing in more natural light. There is also a automated privacy screen you can bring down which is nice. The suite was a good size with a king bed, sofa, coffee table and desk. Lovely having a small fridge stocked with items along with a bar area. Loved the fact you could turn on a light in the evening below the window in the floor under the coffee table, so you could still see the water. The deck off the suite is a nice size with a dining table and chairs. They also have a couple of lounge chairs which we took down to the lower deck area which is where you can access the ladder to the water. There is nothing better than being able to snorkel right from your own bungalow. Water is not deep, so even novice snorkelers such as ourselves, felt very comfortable. We enjoyed the buffet breakfast in the Arii Vahine Restaurant, and thought they had a good selection of hot and cold items. We ate at the Rotui Bar and Grill a couple of times for lunch, and found the food and service to be good. We did not have a chance to try the Toatea Bar, but heard from many who ate there how wonderful both the entrée and dessert crepes were. The beach area at the Hilton is beautiful, and included with your stay is the use of snorkel equipment, paddleboards, kayaks, tennis courts and paddle boats We used the concierge staff a couple of times to book restaurant reservations and transportation for us. They seemed to always have 2-3 at all times to serve you with booking requests for tours etc. Although staying in an OW bungalow is a big expense, it is not to be missed. For us it was a once in a lifetime experience we will never forget. We found the location, bungalow and service from all the staff we came in contact with, to be fabulous. This is one of the most stunning locations we've ever stayed in, and I would highly recommend it to all.

Room Tip: We stayed in OW bungalow 100, which is near the end of the pier. Great views of the water, shore etc.
1  Thank snoopy647

Dear Guests,

Firstly let me thank you for sharing your nice comments on the property and for recommending us to others.

I am glad to read that your experience was delightful.

Again the team and I thank you for choosing the Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa for your holidays in French Polynesia.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Spent 4 nights (3 in Bungalow 95) after a cruise through French Polynesia. From the greeting in the lobby to the Toatea Creperie out in the Bungalows the service was near perfect. While the garden bungalow first night was average, the overwater bungalow was beyond expectations. Best of course was the snorkeling right off the back deck. Lots of fish and interesting rock/coral within 10 feet of ladder, averaging 4 to 5 feet deep. The room itself was clean, modern, and well maintained, with a coffee table over a glass portion of the floor, illuminated at night for fish viewing.

Check with Hilton for status perks; as gold member we had the cold buffet breakfast, with more than enough choices and great balked goods. Also free internet was included with status, and each bungalow had its own router.

Had two lunches by the pool which were excellent and a delightful evening visit for dessert crepes at Toatea, entertained by the sharks circling for leftovers below us.

Only complaint was slow service in bar, requiring going to the bar itself to request some snacks and ultimately to get a check.

Activities desk was a standout with help reserving a lagoon tour, a car rental we used for a last day drive around the entire island and dinner reservations. Pool and beach very nice, with towels and snorkel gear available from a cabana by the pool.

Recommend the odd # 90's bungalows for great sunsets and views of the lagoon. But overall this was a great facility with top service.

Room Tip: The overwater bungalows from 91 to 97 had perfect sunsets and views back toward the lagoon, restaurants, and nearby bay.

Dear Guests,

I am glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us; and indeed the overwater experience in French Polynesia is a MUST.

I thank you for sharing your comments which I will pass on to the team.

Again thank you for choosing the Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa for your post cruise in French Polynesia.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

A three-night stay in this rather poorly-managed hotel disappointed me all over. If you are considering a booking with this property in hopes of a decent holiday, think TWICE.

Bungalow:

Mine was on the meadow. Everything inside looks very jaded, shabby, poor quality. Interior décor utterly outdated, lifeless and depressingly dim. An unforgivable vice was a wide spread of yellowish stains dotted on the bathtub’s surface. Disgusting.

Reported this to the front desk. No one did anything remedial. What a pity.

Sofas and cushions are the ugliest of the sort in design, color scheme and skin feel. High time they should be replaced by newer ones? Outdoor Jacuzzi so tiny that two mere people of average size would crowd it to the full. Mosaic tiles on surface kept scaling off one after another. Standing parasol failed to stretch properly. Two lights inside the room did not turn on. Corners always appeared dark, dim and suspicious.

Front desk:

Honestly, this hotel's reception area is the most uncomely and worst-ordered one I've ever witnessed during the past 3 years of intensive world travels. It must have been over 15 years old, evidenced by its time-warp décor and design. Cushions not comfortable and bearing some stains on surface fabrics. No proper cleaning done.

Not a single receptionist in the front desk smiled to anybody, EVER. Throughout my stay of 4 days I did not see any receptionist smile once. No one offered help at all when they saw you carrying heavy luggage.

Beach and pool:

Chairs not chic. Old, tired and stained. Sand quality far worse than that in Bora Bora. Yes, water here is shallow. But not much fish to watch when you swim. Most reefs are dead and grey-colored. They look NOT beautiful. The whole beach oozed a feel of desertion and desolation: no staff bothered to have a mere eye contact with any guest. Every morning and afternoon when walking past the beach, I saw towels left on chairs and never collected.

The pool was accessed by no one. Because it is too shallow for adults. And too near the restaurant and bar, where noises could be heard. So reading a book by the pool became a literally unwise thing to do in here.
The service desk near the pool was unmanned most of the time. You have to fetch and return towels on your lonesome. A sign of poor management. Under-staffed?

Morning calls:

For two mornings in a row, they forgot to give me the call I requested! So I MISSED my breakfast for two consecutive mornings.

Over-the-water bungalow:

A friend stayed in one such. She was not satisfied with it: exactly the same as mine on the meadow. Everything inside looks overwhelmingly jaded and tired. If you are looking for a luxury holiday, stay at Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora, instead!!! (see my review on FSBB).

Gym:

Located in a deserted place opposite the whole property. I had to walk more than 10 minutes to reach it, which at night was so dimly lit that I couldn’t find a switch on the wall. Fumbling another 10 minutes and finally turning it on, I saw only a handful of facilities (which all look old, worn and depressing) available. To make things worse, one treadmill bore a sign "Out of Service". No staff attended to it, into the bargain.

Francette: A PREPOSTEROUS waitress:

As said, due to the hotel's failure in giving me a morning call in the initial 2 mornings, I missed two breakfasts (which I had paid for well in advance) for 2 days in a row. The third morning, I stepped into the restaurant where she was serving only to hear her icy warning that "we are closing". However, it was still 16 minutes from the brekkie closing time, which I learned from the front desk. Politely, I reminded her of such a stone-cold fact. Her expression turned nasty all of a sudden and walked away, thus leaving me unattended to, there and then. I approached the buffet stations (which were haunted by some flies, whereas foodstuffs littered in a mess!!) and took a few croissants and fruit slices before choosing a table to sit at. Within 2 minutes, I found myself sweating profusely because of the high temperature and humid air, looking upwards I saw the electric fan above my head not set in operation yet. It happened that Francette was passing by, so I asked her in a tentative tone "would you please turn on the fan for me, since it gets quite hot here"? Much to my surprise, she shot me a hasty reply that "tut, I told you we are being closed!" I was left dumbfounded and angered, every atom.

Is such attitude what I was paying for and expecting? Are so horrendous manners justifiable in a high-end property like Hilton right here in Tahiti? I don’t think so.

Later, when Francette saw me walk out of the restaurant, she was gloating over my sweat-covered face and exchanged some Tahitian words with her colleague.

With hindsight, I've got a convinced impression that not every Tahitian is inherently friendly and welcoming to us tourists, which is a fact so sad but true. When I stayed at Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora a few days later, I felt an overwhelming sense of homey hospitality from all staff members of Four Seasons Bora Bora, most of them being Tahitians. Tahitians working for FSBB appear a dozen times more friendly and welcoming than these Tahitians working for Hilton Moorea, to tell you the truth.

In addition to Francette, a male Tahitian (quite big in body size) in the front desk of Hilton Moorea put on an extremely nonchalant air when I asked him how to get to the gym. Without raising his head for an eye contact, he pointed unconcernedly in its direction and focuses his eyes on the computer for something else. I was caused to spend another 10 minutes in locating the gym. Felt very bad about this.

Is Moorea worth visiting, still?

If you plan to do Moorea, I suggest you staying with another hotel than this Hilton. Main reasons are: the lagoon in Moorea is adorable. You can do a dozen activities (I did the private boat sailing, Aqua Blue, coral reef garden, whale watching, Island Circuit Tour by Bus, which are all operated by external agencies). Tiki Village is a major delight, too - their fire dance was unforgettable.

Conclusion:

The only good thing about Hilton Moorea is the Dolphin and Whale Lecture given by the resident oceanographer Dr. Poole. I enjoyed his lecture immensely. It is free of charge and you just need to register for it. But remember: external guests are also allowed to listen to it for free. So you may stay in Intercontinental Moorea (which I thought much better in all respects than Hilton Moorea, after a meal experience).

Having travelled the world for 3 straight years non-stop, I know what a real 5-star property is. To all intents and purposes, Hilton Moorea is not a 5-starred one.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
17  Thank Duncan J
kpeyras, Directeur général at Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Guests,

I truly regret that due to our short coming in product and service at the Hilton Moorea, the end result was your disappointment in what should have been a delightfully memorable experience.
I apologize that we failed to live up to your expectations.

Though your comments surprised me as this is not what we usually read about our property on different reviews.

Again thank you for choosing the Hilton Moorea for your holidays.