“Great for a relaxing holiday”
Review of Fare Vaihere

Fare Vaihere
Ranked #2 of 16 Moorea B&B and Inns
Eltham, Australia
“Great for a relaxing holiday”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

The great strengths of Fare Vaihere are its charming owners, it's location and its great value (by comparison with other Tahiti choices). Phillipe and Corinne go out of their way to please, and you do do as much or as little as you like with no pressure or time constraints. So, if you want, you can just sit by the sea and take in the sun and the fabulous view, or go snorkelling right off the jetty, kayaking, or riding a bike along the coast. To do other activities, you can be picked up and taken diving, driving, dining, hiking etc. There are four simple bungalows with nice ensuites and a verandah. Ask for the ocean front bungalow for the best views. No TV, so if you want to keep in touch with the outside world, take a Wifi device and use the free Wifi service, which you can also use to call home. Make sure you have dinner with Phillipe and Corinne at least once during your stay, and it is also a good way to mix with other guests. They offer a late checkout so you can catch the last ferry to Papeete for late night flights home.

Room Tip: Ask for the waterfront bungalow if available.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RoddaSt

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
hellertown
Reviewed 21 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a couple of nights before we started a cruise through French Polynesia. this was a great way to start a vacation. Philippe and Corinne has created a comfortable, exotic and beautiful oasis. The meals were fantastic...both Philippe and Corinne are superb chefs. I suggested that Corinne publish a cookbook because she uses the freshest ingredients, salads, fish and chicken for the 1stand 2nd courses and then the fruit and coconut pies and tarts along with local ice cream!

the other bonus to staying we're the other guests. we really enjoyed meeting people from other parts of the world...mostly Europeans. and, Philippe and Corinne were friendly and fun as we'll. I really appreciated the course in coconuts provided by Jean Pierre and the friendly attitude of the staff. I would stay longer next time.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Me and my husband spent our first third of our honeymoon in Moorea, at Fare Vaihere.
It was a perfect decision to "diversify" our French Polynesian trip with a 3 nights stay by Corinne and Phillippe (and not to forget Pao Pao). I do not want to repeat all the advices again, it is a perfect place if you have a limited budget, and the island offers probably the most activities in French Polynesia. Our best dinner during our entire stay was prepared by Corinne, who is an excellent cook.
Our advice would be to ask for bungalow near to the ocean, because ours was the closest to the road and it was a bit noisy and very hot, and the bed was little uncomfortable.
Unfortunately we only spent one morning with snorkelling, it was a mistake, because the sea life in the laguna at Fare Vaihere is just amazing.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
farevaihere, Propriétaire at Fare Vaihere, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Ia orana Gabor,

Thank you for the time you took to write the review. Thank you very much for the rating you gave, even if you were disappointed with some aspects of you stay.

For the bungalows, we allocate them according to the date of booking. You were the last to book for this period (if someone asks for our waterfront bungalow and if it is already reserved, we clearly say it is not available). Some guests are disturbed by the noise and the roosters, some are really not disturbed.

For the bed, could you tell us why it was uncomfortable? Too hard, too small, too soft?

For the temperature inside the bungalow: we are sorry to learn only now that you had this problem. Why didn’t you told us during the stay, about it? If you had, we could have given you a second fan.

Have a very nice day.
Corinne and Philippe
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed here with my husband on our honeymoon in mid May just gone, and have nothing but good words to say about my time here. We stayed here for a period of 3 nights, and from our arrival to our departure, the whole time was an absolute pleasure.

The lovely Phillippe and Corrine, welcomed us on our arrival and saw us off kindly on our departure, and were the perfect hosts in between, accommodating us, as and when we needed them, and on hand to offer useful, helpful information as to their lovely little place on this lovely little island.

Our hosts were welcoming, friendly, interesting and most helpful to ensure we had everything we needed, wanted and could possibly ask for. From the free bikes and kayaks, the well equipped bungalows (there were only 5 of these, so it was nice and friendly still), the charming little library at our use, and the lovely common areas in the dining room, lounging area fronting the water and the charming pontoon over the water.

The bungalows had all we could have needed (no kitchen - but they can cook for you at a cost, if a local restaurant is not for you), mosquito net and plug in, big bed, enough plugs for all you could use, shower, toilet, enough towels, sink, fridge, kettle, enough storage space and drawers, and of course, and the incredibly free wifi. On top of this, the bungalows, each with a deck area, were situated around a garden area, but yet nicely shaded and retaining a degree of privacy due to the lush, flowering trees growing around each bungalow. Lovely! Ahh take me back there! Please!

The common areas were all very well maintained and cared for due to the lovely maintenance man Jean Pierre, the lady housekeeper (I apologise for not getting her name, but another lovely member of this little team who made the stay a true pleasure and complete) and Phillippe and Corrine. These areas were all comforting, serene, and stunning and make this place the perfect place it was.

So, will it be lounging on the sun beds in front of the snorkelling area right out the front of the dining room house? Sunset off the pontoon? Amazing snorkelling steps away from the front of the pension (even for novices like me - or experts like my husband?!)? A book, whilst lounging in the sun from the free little library? A kayak ride from in front of the into the calm waters fronting this lovely place? Or simply a lovely bike ride up the road, to maybe a beach? A restaurant? A jam/juice/liqueur producing factory? To be honest, even on foot, you can get out and see the beauty that this part of the island has to offer. Try the Moorea Tropical Garden, it's a bit of an uphill hike but worth it if fit and able - views, jams, vanilla, flowers, lovely! Plus the beaches on the way to the Hilton hotel, and that of the Hilton hotel, are both worth a shot if you seek a lovely beach. But if jet skiing, diving, walking, hiking, stunning viewpoints are more your thing, this place has it all to hand and accessible.

As to activities at hand, I would suggest doing all of the above. There is more than enough to do if you fancy it, however there is equally an abundance of peace and calm in this stunning setting if this is more your thing. Sunbathing with a book?! Lovely spot here to do this! In such calm that you never knew existed.

As to your eating plan, I would suggest half board (breakfast and dinner). We sadly only went bed and breakfast, but did do dinner with our hosts and fellow guests on our first night - and wished we could have done it each night. The food prepared by the lovely Phillippe and Corrine was divine, three courses of local, interesting, new food, served in an ambiance of chatter, banter, friendly travel exchanges and a real feeling of dinner amongst friends. This then frees you up to go explore at lunchtime, with options available close by quite easily, either on foot or on bike.

All in all, I loved this little place. being a very limited French speaker was no obstacle here either, and really, it is the lovely people and clean, comfortable and wholly charming accommodation, surroundings, location and setting that made this trip to Moorea what it was - a break in paradise!

Thank you, Phillippe, Corrinne, Jean Pierre and the lovely lady housekeeper. My most memorable part of our break in Polynesia, and on your stunning, piece of paradise. Merci beaucoup a tous!

Room Tip: A room closer to the sea may be more quiet? Though we were closest to the road, and had no issue at...
1 Thank seeseedee
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Philippe and Corinne are running this pension perfectly and they can be proud of the quality of service they provide.
We were very well looked after , and they can help you with anything.
Of course they propose you a lot of things to do but please do not take this as a hard sale. They are just doing their best to ensure you have the best time possible on Moorea. We declined most of the offers as we had already planned our tour and this was not a problem at all.
Philippe helped us to hire a scooter to go around the island and we would recommend to do so, Moorea is a very beautiful island.
Philippe has a great sense of humour, and Corinne's food is amazing and I recommend to eat with them in the evening if you can.
Snorkelling in front of the pension from the pontoon was excellent, we even saw a turtle twice!
The morning of the departure, Philippe organised with their caretaker Jean-Pierre a free of charge demonstration about coconut tree and the coconut. We learnt about the tree and all its uses, as well as the coconut; how to open them, drink the water, eat the flesh, grate the flesh, and also make coconut milk. This was great and I would recommend to people.
We had a great stay and would certainly this pension over any other large resort on the island.

1 Thank Sébastien D
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Fare Vaihere exceeded our expectations! We stayed for four nights after completing a cruise and just had a fabulous time. Our hosts made us feel very welcome, and were extremely helpful in assisting us with our plans. Snorkelling - here is your gear - keep it for your whole stay - and this is the best place to go. Car rental - they'll have one here in 15 minutes. Places to eat - here are your options but this is the menu for tonight. Free bike loan - check. We ended up eating at the premises 3/4 nights and wished we had done so the fourth night. Absolutely delicious French food with a local twist, and great dinner conversation. We felt like house guests rather than hotel clientele. Wifi in every room was great and we did not miss the TV or aircon at all. I cannot think of anywhere that I have stayed where I have felt so relaxed and happy! We have already recommended it to our friends and would love to go back some day.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tracy S
Rochechouart, France
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

So much to say - and all positive.
The welcome - from the minute you step through the gate, you're made so welcome by Philippe and Corinne, along with the refreshing coconut cocktail. Right through my stay, 12 nights, they were the friendliest hosts and they had just the right balance of care, not too intrusive but ever-helpful. The evening meal, of course, was the highlight of the day - excellent and imaginative use of local ingredients together with lovely presentation. I had imagined I would eat elsewhere some of the time, but there was no chance of that after I'd tasted their cooking! The one time I did eat at a restaurant it was nowhere near as good.
My bungalow was charming and spotlessly clean, and I spent many happy hours on the deck reading, with the sound of the waves just a stone's throw away.
The staff were lovely as well, always cheerful and friendly.
I think I'd recommend hiring a car if you can, as the Fare is a bit far from towns or villages in either direction.
It was really good value for money, considering how expensive French Polynesia is in general - and if you book direct with them, there could be a discount available - it's worth checking.
I would thoroughly recommend a stay here - if I ever come back, I'll certainly stay here.
Room Tip: The bungalow nearest the lagoon is the most popular, but when I was there we had a few storms and their deck got a bit flooded - I was very happy in mine, just behind that one.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo