“Lagoon Tour and BBQ”

Albert Moana Lagoon Tour
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The guide picked us up from our hotel, we made a few stops at other hotels to pick up more guests before heading to the Pearl Resort where we were meeting up with the boat. The tour guide was great...he had a great personality and kept everyone laughing. The water is absolutely breathtaking...I loved just looking at all the different colors as we went to our destination to enjoy the lagoon. Once we got to the right spot, we were all able to get off and within a few minutes we were surrounded by ray's and sharks. It was a pretty remarkable experience...although, I won't lie...I prefered viewing the sharks from in the boat vs. in the water. My husband got some absolutely amazing shots of both the sharks and ray's withour underwater camera though. Once everyone was finished with that, we went to a motu where the tourguide and other hosts kept everyone entertained...and lunch was delicious. I was worried they would only have fish (I don't eat fish) but they had a good variety of shrimp, chicken, and beef. Once we finished eating we got to explore and walk out to the end of the motu...again, the views were breathtaking! We loved being able to have a full day just exploring, getting amazing views, and seeing the rays and sharks. I would definitely recommend this trip to others!

All reviews
in 3 reviews
"cooking demonstration"
"chest height"

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Got the family up and ready for 8:30 pickup. Had concierge call confirmed they would be late but be here. Never showed. I called and they sai dc they had no record of us and it was too late now. Paid months in advance. Totally unreliable. Sad because we were all excited for the tour even with the rain. Their unwillingness to take responsibility is amazing.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

This tour picks you up which is really convenient. However, it is not convenient when they arrive 40 minutes late. Once on the transfer boat, our driver stopped and dove in to pull up a conch shell for us all to see. The best part of the tour is the stop to swim with sharks and stingrays. You get an hour to do this.

At the motu, the guide yelled we had 30 minutes to swim before lunch. About 3 minutes later, after we donned our snorkel gear and began wading in the water, he yelled for everyone to gather up for the lunch making demonstration. So we waded out of the water, took off our snorkel gear, and gathered for the demonstration. This was entertaining because the guide picked someone from the tourists to assist in making the poisson cru. Once the demonstration was over, we were able to eat lunch. Following lunch, we snorkeled for a bit. The snorkeling is pretty good, but the coral reaches to the top of the water and is very dense. It is difficult to wade through the coral without touching it - which is a no-no. The guide gathered us again to learn how to open a coconut. Following that we were boarded back on the boat. The boat then drives you to your hotel to drop you off.

The videographer then goes around to all of the people and asks them to buy the video of the day for 5000cpf. A few people purchased it. As we neared our hotel, he came around again and lowered the price to 3000cpf. We told him we would purchase it. He told us he would come by at 6:00pm with the video. He never showed up.

Something to note: as our boat pulled up to the motu, there was another tour there. Their boat said "Hiro" on it. Not only where they there before we arrived, but they remained there after we left. They also had music playing on their side of the beach and we did not. They had a roasted pig on a spit and we did not. It appeared as if that was the better tour.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

We used Albert's transport to get from the ferry to our hotel. Our driver handed us a flyer for their island tours. The Lagoon tour was discounted to 6000 XPF which included a lagoon tour as well as a barbecue lunch. Our guide was amazing, he knew French, English, Spanish, as well as some Japaneese! Our first stop was to jump in with manta rays and black tipped reef sharks. They have food, so you can feed and touch the rays. They had some snorkeling equipment to better view them, but did not have enough for everyone on the boat, so my husband and I didn't get one. If we had known this in advance, we would have brought them from our hotel. The BBQ was good, it was an interactive display to see our lunch get prepared then made, and for dessert, we learned how to crack coconuts with a stick, which was quite amusing. Overall, it was a great trip despite the minor set back of not being able to snorkel.

See more reviews
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I think the previous reviews have described this trip very well. Sikki, the tour guide with dreadlocks, is very good at his job, makes a lot of jokes, and makes it a point that everyone that wants to pet or feed a stingray gets to do that multiple times. My wife and I went on this tour twice, we liked it so much, and did the 2 hour jetski trip with Sikki too, which goes to the same snorkeling location as the Lagoon Tour. I would recommend bringing a digital underwater camera or go pro, snorkel gear, and water shoes. There a few different tour companies that do this trip, but I would recommend the Albert Moana Lagoon Tour over others, not just because this was the tour I was on, but some guides with other companies were doing some fairly unsafe and weird things (like throwing fish scraps for the sharks VERY close to people in the water and putting dead fish in their mouths). Additionally, Sikki is one of the most engaging and best tour guides I've ever had on any trip anywhere.

When going to Moorea, I would strongly recommend doing the Albert Moana Lagoon Tour & also going to the Lagoonarium on the otherside of the island. My wife & I did both activities 2 times. The advantages of the lagoonarium is you can stay all day if you like (up to 8 hours from 8am-4pm), has an amazing overall variety of fish and sea life to look at, and free kayak usage; my wife and I have never seen so many types and sheer volume of fish in one place before, ever. The advantages of the Albert Moana Lagoon Tour is the beauty/ clarity of the water, the closeness and direct involvement of the sharks & stingrays, lack of current in the water, opportunity to feed the sting rays yourself, and the food & beverage (both non-alcoholic and alcoholic) is included. You see stingrays/ sharks on both trips, but they are totally different snorkeling experiences. Either snorkeling location was the best snorkeling my wife & I have ever experienced, but I would definitely recommend doing both activities. Both trips were the highlights of our 21 day trip to French Polynesia. Either trip is going to run you about $150 -$175 bucks when all is said and done. The lagoonarium is cheaper but you must rent a car to get there. After the rental car cost, gas, and lagoonarium admission, both trips cost about the same.

The Lagoon Tour is setup as follows:

1. Boat leaves from Club Bali Hai, which is across the street from the Albert Rental Car Office.

2. Sikki gives you some educational information while driving to the lagoon for snorkeling with sharks/ stingrays

3. You get to snorkel with stingrays/ sharks for about 20 minutes at the lagoon

4. The boat travels for about 10 minutes to their semi-private motu.

5. Have drinks, admire chickens on island

6. Sikki shows you how to prepare Poisson Cru (raw tuna marinated in vegetables, lime juice, and coconut milk) from scratch, which you get to eat shortly thereafter.

7. Have lunch & more drinks

8. Get about 1 -1.5 hours to snorkel in the cove or relax

- A side tip, after you're done eating lunch and you're allowed to snorkel for about 1 additional hour, go snorkeling with bread. I would recommend grabbing 4-5 pieces of bread leftover from the lunch and bring it with you into the water; you'll end up having tons of fish surrounding you to eat the bread.

9. Coconut opening demonstration right before departure

10. The boat ride takes about 20-30 minutes back to the hotels/ the boat will drive you directly to your hotel if they have a dock or to the closet hotel to yours with a dock.

SIDE NOTE: We saw an 8 ft,, approximately 300 -400 lb, nurse shark several different days from Club Bali Hai's wooden dock located right next to where the Moana Lagoon Tour's boat moors. If you arrive earlier, walk back and forth very slowly along the wooden dock to the right of the boat - or come there on a different day. The dock is located Oceanside near Club Bali Hai's dining location/ restaurant. There is also some very weird looking fish that live right on top of some of the wood submerged in the water. They are very small, but appear to actually have front legs where fish would normally have fins. I was told by some people staying at Club Bali Hai that the hotel feeds sharks from that dock some nights as well.