Villas Bougainville
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$283
US$2,586
US$661
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewswashing machinepaved roadair conditioningfrench polynesiabora boraraphaelvacancesboatislandtahitilagoonparadisewaterbungalow
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Ive stayed there and there were thing I absolutely dont like. First at all i had to pay 175eur as a cation via transfer, which is kind of expensive and cost me around 35eur with the fees - and I mean he has a credit card reader for his business. But that was all ok to me.
At the checkout he wanted the whole 2 days paid. That means 400eur. I had to send him the confirmation that ive send him already 175eur. After that he deducted this. I just mean, this is very bad, as if I would pay him and leave I would never get this money back. So if you come here, please do have the confirmation of already paid transfers with you.
The other issue was, he offered us to go for a visit to a Vanilla plantage, that he picks us up at 8am. We waited til 10,30am nobody camed. After i told him, he told me: sorry, he took the morning".. that was his explanation.. (very funny was, that that happened just the evening before I told him I will not pay the whole two nights)
The third least issue was we had the boat for about a 1 hour trip with breaks and he said the fuel was half empty and thats 2000xpf. I mean we had no prove, but we drove a car in another island for 3 days and paid about 800xpf. I mean we just paid it and left it as it is.
I had very much the feeling he just wants money money money and thats it.
Otherwise the car was ok, boat as well. The Villa a bit old style but for me enough I liked it.He showed us the island on the map. It was ok, but thats it. The service is more important to me and if I have the feeling the owners are just after money...
I wouldnt come back honestly.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Let’s make it clear that this is not directly related to villas Bougainville. The villas are well located and in good condition the issue for us was the owner Raphael...
Things started not very well because Raphael English was really poor which made communication very difficult... but again not the reason for this review... Things just went from bad to worst.
First the promised boat was not available, because I didn’t had a boat riding permit and the only two with 9 horse power were already being used ... The boat was available next day ... Raphael took us to a nice beach as compensation. Next day Raphael gave us a map with lines that we were supposed to follow ... his explanation of the map was very very difficult to understand, but the map seemed very easy to understand.
So off we went for a boat ride to visit the beautiful spots of Huahine. The first part of the day was great and a part from some issues restarting the boat engine (a Suzuki 9CV) every time we stopped all went ok. But this is was like first stages of a real life horror movie ... Since we were enjoying the island we decided to head to the west side of the island. Following the map we went to the west side of the island using the middle channel, everything went ok and we went almost to the south of the island. With the tide and the sun going down we decided to return, following the map. We followed the marks and the recommended path. The horror movie started to unfold ... the low tide started to expose some dangerous coral heads, but since we were following the map we expected to be ok. Suddenly we hit the first coral head.. Immediately I’ve lifted the engine and put it on neutral. Looked around and even with the sun on our eyes I could see that we were not in safe place ... coral heads all over... look to the map, but we were following the line which should maintain us clear from the dangerous coral ...we decided to keep following the line but head a bit more to the deeper blue close to the island ... and then we hit the second coral head and while I was lifting the engine, it turned off. I then started to restart it but unsuccessfully ... the low tide currents started to push the boat closer to the reef ... I started to panic...while trying desperately to restart the engine ... while the current pushed us to the reef we started to hit more coral rocks...after a while I finally decided to set the anchor. We were very nervous and started to look around and we were completed surrounded by corals and very far from shore. No cellular coverage, no radio or any other mechanism to call for attention. Since I was not being successful in restarting the engine we decided to wait that Raphael would notice that we haven’t returned and come t look for us ... we were not too far away. But the sun was going down and Raphael didn’t came to our rescue and our efforts to try to call the attention of other boats passing close buy were unsuccessful ... we started to panic and tried everything including trying to push the small boat by walking on top of the reef, to a safer area ...This ended up to be not worst idea since we moved to a deeper area and suddenly after trying so many times i was able to restart the engine ... the sun was already down we were afraid and decided to go in a straight line in direction to the island ... we hit corals several times but the metal boat kept going ...when we were almost clear and close to shore the engine stoped again ... At this stage we were desperate and imagine we would have to sleep in the boat because it was already dark night. The engine didn’t want to start again ... we started to scream the most we could and by luck or divine intervention a local couple that decided to come to walk near the shore heard our screams ... they called some friends that came in our direction the sea kayak. WE WERE SAFE!!!
The kids with the help of other friends were able to push us and the boat to shore. They called Raphael that finally came... His only concern was his 9CV SUZUKI engine ... didn’t ask if we were ok or even how this had happen ... I was so upset that I decided that would be better to speak next day.
On the next day I have tried to speak with Raphael ... his English and my French were again an obstacle... but it was clear that he couldn’t care less about us and his only concern was his engine...I was not sure what to do ... I just wanted to forget the nightmare and go back to a dream vacation ... so I told him to fix the engine and let me know how much would cost ...immediately he became much nicer ... we had more two days in Huahine ...he told me he would fix the engine and would let me know how much it would cost ... next day I went to ask him about the engine... he said he needed to buy a new piece of the engine that would cost around 150 euros... I told him if he got me a receipt I would pay ...Let’s be clear I was not happy but I just wanted to put this behind my back... next day (our last) he told me the piece he needed to fix the boat would cost 300 euros and he needed to wait for a friend to send it from Tahiti... not sure why I agreed to pay and he promised to send me a receipt that I was hoping to use for an insurance claim... he never sent me the receipt... I have sent him several emails but never got a receipt for the 300 euros...
For a long time I wanted to erase this from my memory ... and just remember the fantastic holidays we enjoyed after this in Bora Bora and Rangiroa... This is the first time I’m telling this story to anybody.

Room Tip: Be very carefull with the boat and don't pay anything without seeing a receipt.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank PedroCarmo
Reviewed 27 March 2012

A very quiet place to stay, has all the features of a north american home but set on a bay in a jungle setting. The rental includes a car and a boat, which is very good for exploring and getting around the island. This is our forth time at these villas and we are always very sad to leave there, it is so relaxing and it seems like there is always a new adventure around the corner.
We have met at lot great people on the island and always greet us with open arms, which make the trip all the better.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Travelers083
Reviewed 24 June 2011

Between Moorea and Tahiti stays, Villas Bougainville turned out to be what we had expected...a non touristy way to enjoy this beautiful part of the world. No pressures from tour operators, Raphael the owner was very kind and informative.

The property and surrounding gardens were fascinating -- land crabs and multiple fruit trees -- and access to the water and lagoons from the boat dock across the street. Rental car was great and we had total freedom to explore the two islands.

A boating permit is required for taking the boat on the water....something to think about before arriving in Tahiti!....but Raphael ferried us to a nice isolated beach area, and did take us for a ride in the lagoon.

Properties do not have high speed internet....not really needed, but would be a nice perk.

Overall, a good experience. If we ever have a chance to return to Huahine, we would stay again at the Bougainville!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank CHB_VA
Reviewed 18 April 2009

We stayed at the Villas Bougainville from December 20-January 4 (2008-09). We have stayed there several times over the past few years. It is not on a swimmable beach but the water is right across the street (tiny street0, with a wonderful dock. The car and the boat make this an incredible bargain if you add up the cost of renting a car and a boat. The kitchen has items that you need for cooking and a washing machine is available. The car makes it so you can go anywhere on the island that you wish to go at your own pace. The boat allows you to go to places that you could not go to otherwise. Raphael, the owner is incredibly personable and makes your stay as great as possible. I did read the French review above and I was quite astounded as the owner is so delightful and kind. We have stayed there the equivalent of three months over the years and each time it gets better and better. The grounds are immaculate and planted with flowers and trees, with fruit that is available for your pleasure when in season. The boat is a fishing boat and perfectly adequate for the tourist . A wonderful experience all around .

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple