“Very pleasant for someone who wants a lot of privacy”
Review of Kopeka Lodge

Kopeka Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Atiu
Kopeka Lodge
Reviewed 21 November 2013

This lodge is a series of beautiful little two-bedroom cabins (with polished wooden floors and handmade wooden furniture) in a large garden. There are comfortable outdoor tables and chairs under huge mango trees out the front. You are a long way from the centre of Atiu (around 3km), which means it is extremely peaceful. Not even any chicken or dog noise, unlike just about everywhere else in the Cook Islands!

The owner lives in Rarotonga, but he engages a local woman to take care of the place, and as I was the only guest during my stay, she and her family stayed on site in the neighbouring cabin at night. This wasn't really necessary, but it was nice that the owner was concerned about my comfort to that degree. He also met me at the airport in Rarotonga before I left and gave me a bag of groceries as I was to arrive on a Sunday when most shops are shut.

The caretaker also kindly brought me food most days (coconuts, fruit and vegetables, and one day a whole plate of food from her family's umu!) It was a lovely place to stay. It would be especially nice for a couple on a honeymoon, or a writing retreat or similar.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Kopeka Lodge
Reviewed 22 July 2006

My family went to Rarotonga for a two week adventure. We found a wealth of fun activities on Raro, including scuba, snorkeling, jungle hiking, shopping for black pearl jewelry and eating. Neighboring island, Atiu, sounded too interesting to pass up. We flew Rarotongan Air to Atiu for three days. Kopeka lodge is a charming bungalow with wood floors, a small, well equiped kitchen and porches front and back. It's set in a garden with bountiful passion fruits, which were delicious. Man Unuia, who owns Kopeka Lodge, (and is also the Secretary of the island), arranged fascinating tours for us. We were thrilled to see and hear the rare Kopeka bird, which uses rapid-fire clicks to find it's way in the pitch dark caves. We had a nature tour with George the Bird Man who treated us to a fresh fruit lunch on a gorgeous beach. We saw ancient bones in the Rima Rau cave with terrific guide, Marshall Humphries. Just down the road from Kopeka was "Auntie Pa's" cafe, Terangi-Nui, where we ate delicious meals. There was more to see that we didn't have time for. I have a feeling that Atiu will be "unspoiled" for many years to come...so maybe we can return some day!

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank cynHarrer

Been to Kopeka Lodge? Share your experiences!