“Mild depression upon departure from Amuri Sands...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Aitutaki
Amuri Sands, Aitutaki
San Diego, California
“Mild depression upon departure from Amuri Sands...”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

After a butt-numbing ten hour flight from California, a rainy layover in Rarotonga, and another fifty minute flight courtesy of a rather young looking pilot, Poppy welcomed us under bright blue skies at the tiny Aitutaki airport with her rockin' tan, warm smile, and a couple of fresh, sweet smelling leis. We drove a short five or so minutes to our destination, Amuri Sands, which would be our home for the next five nights. Poppy informed us that we would have the place all to ourselves. Score.

Poppy gave us a brief yet thorough tour of the property. The kitchen was well equipped with pots, utensils, a fridge, and a stove. Alas, no microwave, but we did survive. Rainwater for drinking set up outside or you can go to town and buy a liter for nine USD. The bathroom included a sink, toilet, and shower. The room had a bed, bedside tables filled with some books (think Fabio on the cover), couple of fans, and small table with two chairs. The balcony had another table and two chairs. The room was super clean, which I loved. Neatfreaks unite. There is no beach access from the balcony. You have to go out the front door and around the side. For some lazy people, this might be a problem. If you like, you can jump about five feet off the balcony onto the sandy beach below, but apparantly I am not that daring. Watch for falling coconuts. Use the super duper long stick to knock a fresh young one out of the trees and enjoy the warm, refreshing taste that kicks Zico's [--].

There were bugs, but that's a given. The room came equipped with mosquito coils- Thank you! Over the course of our stay there were two small white lizards that decided to room with us. They seemed friendly enough, but obviously didn't care much about privacy as one of them stayed plastered to the wall of the bathroom... staring... with its red eyes. I also had a few semi-sleepless nights, nervous that one of them would decide to plumet from the ceiling and straight into my open mouth. Although it didn't happen, I think I would've felt better if we had some sort of mosquito netting around the bed, but hey, that's just me. I made due hiding under my blanket. Also bring earplugs unless "cocka-doodle-do" is music to your ears.

Poppy was more than willing to make some recommendations for activities around the island. I had already booked a snorkel tour with Teking so Poppy helped us set up a scooter rental with the Boat Shed and guided us in making a reservation for a water taxi to drop us off at One Foot Island to spend the day. (FYI- The motu drop off never happened because I was a bright red lobster by the day were supposed to go. Don't forget to reapply your sunscreen, people.) Puffy's for fish and chips a short scooter ride to the north and Tuano's Cafe a brief walk to the south.

The snorkeling right outside the property was decent, but you couldn't pull me away from what became my favorite place to snorkel and sunburn... errr... sunbathe, which was a short scooter ride north and through the bushes at the end of the old landing strip. That place was my Nirvana.

To sum it all up, I hope to stay at Amuri Sands again someday. Sure you can stay at the beautiful Pacific Resort to the south or the bougie Aitutaki Lagoon Resort to the north, but I prefer to stay at Amuri Sands and pretend I'm a local...

Thanks, Poppy and Mark...

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cocochelle678

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Whangaparaoa, New Zealand
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at Amuri Sands. We were there for 9 nights. Mark works hard to make it a good experience for his guests without being intrusive. We chose Amuri Sands because of the reviews and the snorkelling close by. We were not disappointed. The snorkeling is good straight in front of Amuri Sands, especially if you go out a 2-300 metres, as well as by the Marine Research Centre. But the best snorkeling is on the lagoon cruises. The only negative at Amuri Sands is the pack of roosters who start their chorus in the middle of the night and don't stop. So bring earplugs!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 24 July 2013

If I have to turn 50 it has to be in paradise......so started our quest to find the "best" place to stay on Aitutaki.
Two months of research and finally the decision made, then the nervous wait to find if our dates were available. Success! Months later we arrive to a beautiful balmy Aitutaki afternoon. Mark collected us from the airport and we made the short drive to Amuri Sands. I was delighted. Amuri Sands is beachfront on the most beautiful stretch of beach. The room has everything you need, right down to a torch for those return trips along the beach at night from local restaurants. The bed is comfortable and the shower lovely and hot! The deck overlooking the beach is the perfect place to sit and read or have drinks and nibbles with your “neighbors” while watching the sun set.
Mark arrived every morning and was happy to book restaurants, lagoon day trips etc for us. He even showed hubby how to husk a coconut! My 50th birthday arrived and the day couldn’t have been more perfect – 30 - 34 degrees, calm and the water so clear it was like glass.
15 days seemed like a long time, but it wasn’t enough. I wish we could have stayed forever.

Thank you Mark for a fabulous holiday – we will be back!

Room Tip: Both rooms are lovely, whilst connected they are very private.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julie C
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 July 2013

My wife and I stayed at Amuri Sands for around 6 days and loved every minute.

The bungalow is positioned in the best part of Aitutaki (for us), with wonderful snorkelling, walks, restaurants and shops nearby.

Imagine sitting on the back deck, cold beer in hand, looking through the coconut palms to the aqua lagoon. Paradise!

Mark really made our stay special. On arrival he picked us up from the airport, took us to the shops to stock up, arranged scooters and gave us a few tips on the best outings. Mark was on site each morning if we needed anything. We really appreciated the extra effort Mark went to so that our visit to the Island was just right.

Thanks Mark! We hope to be back soon.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here for only 2 nights but we wanted to stay for 20 nights :-)
It's a wonderful place to stay. We had a clean and nice room with direct access to the beach. And there are only 2 rooms so you don't have problems with "a crowded place".
We would recommend it to everybody to stay here! We stayed one night at Paradise Cove but we would definitly prefer to stay in Amuri Sands again!!

Room Tip: There are only 2 rooms so you can't be dissapointed.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank krogiers
bc,canada
Reviewed 21 April 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for 12 full days at Amuri Sands and are glad we skipped Rarotonga as a friend advised. We were looking for a simple, lower cost stay where we could snorkel off the beach everyday which we did. All the kudos given to Mark are all very true! We had immediate access to the beach and outside, with very few people around. Staying there allowed us to try out the nicer restaurants around the island and go for lagoon tours when we wanted.
The slow pace of the island allowed us to relax fully.
We even got to see the local medical system in action one day when I had to seek medical attention at the local hospital, riding thru a torrential (but luckily brief) downpour to get there to see Dr. Koko. We were treated well there, and were soon back on our way.
A few days there was moderate smoke from burning being done in the neighbouring property, so we just went for some long walks on the miles long sandy beach.
I would say Aitutaki and Amuri sands were just as advertised and suited us very well, we really enjoyed our stay on this incredibly beautiful island.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank vi_bc_girl
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 March 2013

My wife Kim and I spent the first 10 days of our honeymoon at Amuri Sands. It was the perfect place to start our stay on this wonderful island.

We'd read all the previous reviews and weren't disappointed. In fact Amuri Sands exceeded our expectations. Mark is the perfect host - friendly and relaxed, yet knowledgeable and helpful. He organised scooter rental and lagoon cruises, as well as supplying us with wonderful bananas and pawpaw. Easily the best fruit I've ever had!

The accommodation at Amuri Sands is simple but perfect - well maintained and clean with a kitchen fully equipped for holiday food preparation.

Room Tip: Rosters are a fact of life on Pacific islands...a more deluxe location is just as likely to have you...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple