“Excellent Meal”

Price range: US$8 - US$31
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: A la-carte Casual Fine Dining. Covered but in a garden setting. Fully Licensed. Open Monday to Saturday from 6pm. Major Credit Cards accepted.
Reviewed 28 November 2013

We loved our meal here. We called ahead and reserved a crab dish since we had read it was one to try. The dessert I ordered was my favorite of our whole trip. A must for dinner on Aitutaki.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

WE were told to make the effort to eat out here and we were not disappointed.The service was a bit slow bit this was only due to the fact the restaurant had arranged to a mini van to collect 10 other from around the island so we were all ordering at once.This was only $15 and a door to door service.
The food was fresh and tasty and everyone in our group enjoyed there meals.Make the effort to go if you can

1  Thank kruuza
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We were there in mid Oct '13 for dinner.
Our expectations has been revised. It was claimed as the best restaurant but to me it isn't.
Let's starting from Pro:
- Good environment, nice Atmosphere
- Excellent Chili lime fish, an Ika Mata with some very good flavours. Really the best plate.
- Good Crawfish, despite it was a bit too much cooked to me
Cons:
- Service too slow. Really too much considering
- How a man can imagine to drown a good piece of tuna in tons of pesto? Absolutely awful. The fish should be exalted, not covered by other strong flavours. I have no idea why this plate was reviewed as one of the best dish ever.
- The price is remarkable high

At the end I would come again, but I'd like more straight dishes.

Tupuna S, Owner at Cafe Tupuna, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Wont comment on your personal tastes in Food - everybody has their own opinion. However your comment on Pricing is interesting. We try to be "casual fine dining" which is difficult here in the middle of the Pacific. We have to contend with very high Power,Gas and Freight costs and we believe our prices reflect very moderate profit margins. We try to deliver the best food possible but also remain in business!
Tupuna
Owner

Reviewed 19 October 2013

I originally stumbled onto tupunas cafe 8 years ago... It was the most delicious meal I had eaten but I couldn't think of what the place was called, it was just this tiny random spot in the pacific ! Anyway I made it my mission to find it again when we went back for our honeymoon, and I must say 8 years on it was just as good as the first time :) we had to wait a while but it was worth it, it's a must do if your in Aitutaki !

Reviewed 17 October 2013

The flavours of award winning chef, Tapunu, are unique and delicious, from local lobster to the best rib eye steak ever in mushroom sauce. Pricey and worth it.