“Best buffet in the Cook Islands”
Review of Puffy's

Puffy's
Ranked #6 of 15 Restaurants in Aitutaki
Price range: US$5 - US$30
Cuisines: Healthy, Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 18 May 2014

My husband and I live on Aitutaki and eat out constantly. I was delighted to find the Mother's Day buffet the best we have ever had here or in Rarotonga. Succulent fresh pork, chicken, fish, local dishes, ample salads, and poke, the local banana pudding. Also a lovely one man band and fabulous Polynesian dance show with a child and adult troup. Great drums. And SO reasonably priced!!!

1  Thank Linda K
There are newer reviews for Puffy's

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Puffy is a real Cook Islander, go there to know what I mean.
Her fish and chips are excellent. I liked the plain, simple and authentic style of he place, more a hangar than restaurant but the real atmosphere.
Not for fuzzies...

1  Thank Karin T
Reviewed 2 May 2014

The place looks like the back of a house. This is a local family trying to make a living and they are doing a good job. We had the fish and chips. The salad was freshly made. Generous serving good value. Support the locals not the foreign owners in resorts.
Great spot to watch the sunset.

2  Thank VictoriaRev
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We went to Puffy's in search of alternate dining from our resort, which wasn't serving the most compelling meals. We found Puffy's near the end of our stay and wish we'd found it sooner. We had great fish and chips here, although the place is way, way casual, it's a great place to drop in for a less costly meal. The other diners were very social and it was a great mix of people. We wish we had gone there more often. The meal was very satisfying and even the somewhat plain, grilled tuna, as a gluten free option, was better than other "tuna" meals that we'd had that cost well over three times as much. I'm surprised more isn't known about this place, we found it more or less by accident. Very good!

1  Thank mhb1954
Reviewed 29 April 2014

After being throughly recommended this establishment, my Wife and I decided to leave our resort and venture to Puffys world famous fish and chips. Upon entering the courtyard, we made our way to place an order.
We both ordered the standard fish and chips and were offered either grilled or battered. My Wife who has given up sugar decided to have the grilled option. I went for the battered. Here she almost gave me too much change. I was honest and gave her back the 10bucks that she over paid me.
The fish was Tuna and had a funny grilled chicken texture. My Wife had her grilled piece but it was covered in a sugary sauce like BBQ. I went back to Puffy and complained that my wife could not eat this and that the grilled fish didn't mention sugary sauces. She was reluctant to assist us and would not offer any additional chips as she would need to fire up the grill. I was not happy even after stating that we will now be sharing my battered piece as it had less sugar. We finished less than satisfied and returned to our resort.
This is when it went worse. Extremely worse.
After 3 hours back at our resort, my wife was vomiting and had diarrhoea. This carried on for all night. Then it hit me in the morning. Fever, aches and pains and chronic dehydration.
We were both on our honeymoon and had developed a bad case of food poisoning through lack of hygienic care and handling of the fish. The resort mentioned afterwards that they do not recommend any of their guests to eat there. This ruined our tranquil break in paradise.
Now there are many people that have eaten here and not had a problem. But we unfortunately got the short straw. Be warned and don't eat here if you are pregnant or if you don't have a strong stomach for unusual fish varieties. I don't want what happened to my Wife and I to affect anyone else at this establishment. It will ruin your holiday. Avoid at all costs.

4  Thank kylieanddrew