“amazing veiws”

Aitutaki Lagoon Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Aitutaki
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We went over to Aitutaki to see if we would like to have our honey moon their we stayed 3 days the properly was just amazing and the view incredible. Our room was very tidy and lots of space we stayed in a garden room and had a bit of a beach view. We went in their quite season so not much was happening in the resort the bar was closed up early each night. We decided not to have our honey moon there because it was to quite for us but I do highly recommend this properly we would go back in a flash but would go over in there busy season.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Donna R
RoseKareroa, Resort Manager at Aitutaki Lagoon Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

Kia Orana Donna R

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. It was a pleasure having you stay with us at Aitutaki Lagoon Resort & Spa.

We would have been happy to offer a site inspection of all other room categories for your honeymoon if we had known.

I would be happy to extend our special returnee package to you both to celebrate your special occasion, please contact me directly resort.manager@aitutakilagoonresort.com if you require further information.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

We had the pleasure of staying at the Aitutaki Lagoon Resort and the location and lagoon cannot be compared to anything we have ever stayed at. Forget that it is relatively expensive to stay there and the little resort store is a bit pricey but my goodness the lagoon is unbelievable! The food was good and the staff all were very friendly, rooms were as advertised. This is by no means a 5 star resort but the lagoon activities alone were 10 star! When there be sure to talk with the front desk and book a day long excursion with Bishops for a boat trip/lunch to One Foot Island, lots of snorkelling, visiting surrounding islands (most uninhabited) and a great lunch on One Foot. Be sure to take along your passport if you do this trip through Bishops as you can get a very unique passport stamp while at One Foot Island to remind you of a great holiday. We are going back to Rarotonga next March for our third time and we have made plans to revisit this resort for an over-nighter during a day trip up from Raro.

Room Tip: Book a room with a lagoon view not a river view
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TanLovers

Kia Orana TanLovers

Thank you for taking the time to upload a review on your recent stay with us at Aitutaki Lagoon Resort & Spa.

We are very happy that you had such a lovely holiday and enjoyed the fantastic location and services we have to offer here in Aitutaki.

Please contact me directly for a special returnee package and any other assistance you may require.

We hope to welcome you back to our resorts again in the very near future as a valued return guest.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

I had the pleasure of taking my family to Aitutaki in January. We stayed in several hotels on our visit to the cooks but the kids voted Aitutaki Lagoon Resort as their favourite.
They loved the fact that the resort is on its own island and you have to access it by boat.
Food was great and reasonably priced. Rooms are really nice and must have been recently built or renovated (kids loved the outdoor shower). Water sports equipment was included and we just generally had a really relaxing time.

I'de recommend this place to anyone, but there is a catch. Apparently Aitutaki Lagoon is going adults only in a couple of months time. The kids are gutted so it is lucky we got to stay there before it was too late!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Paul B

Kia Orana Paul B

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. It was a pleasure having you and your family stay with us at Aitutaki Lagoon Resort & Spa.

As of 1st April 2014 Aitutaki Lagoon Resort & Spa will be adults only (16+ years of age), we like to thank all families for choosing us as your family holiday destination, and hope one day soon when all our children come of age will visit us again.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

I arrived home today from staying in an overwater bungalow at this resort and depression has really set in!! My partner and I had the best time ever and didn't want to leave. Prior to going, we read most of the reviews on this site and had mixed feelings. We were hoping the negative reviews were written by well off people who expect everyone to cater to their every need. Now, having been there, I am sure they were!! I agree with the wedding photographer who posted a review stating that this place doesn't profess to be a 5 star resort. But, and a big but, it is well maintained, the staff are all delightful (It doesn't hurt to be the first to say hello), the food is good and the scenery is what dreams are made of. I didn't think anything could be prettier than the lagoon around the resort, but having gone on a lagoon cruise, the water is even better further out. The prices are a bit steep ($7 for a 1.25 litre of water at the resort, as opposed to $3.50 in town), but they are a remote group of islands who have lots shipped in. We went in the off season and occupancy was low. The weather was beautiful, rain at night and the odd shower that went as fast as it came. January is certainly a good month to visit. You can hire scooters or cars to traverse Aitutaki town, but if you prefer transport, a bus will take you for about $30NZ a couple return trip. The bar and restaurant close fairly early, which suited us, as we were so relaxed we went to bed early anyway. There were a couple of nights when we met up with other couples and tried to party, but the bar closed at 9.30pm. This may not happen in high season, but again, didn't worry us. If you want action, you can go into town and party. Just make sure you are back before 11pm or the ferry ride will cost $100. As for the reviewer who said the ferry driver was rude, did you make prior arrangements to dine at the resort..those of us who stayed there paid to have use of the ferry at any time. I found it a novel way to travel!! We will definitely go back again. My daughter just looked at our pics and will book a trip there in August with her boyfriend. We wont stay in an overwater bungalow again, as it is a bit out of our price range. This time was a bucket list trip. We loved the overwater, but any bungalow there would be perfect. LOVED LOVED LOVED the place, and the staff. Thank you Aitutaki resort xx

Room Tip: The island is small. All rooms are good. Just choose the one that suits your budget
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank jewel_58

Kia Orana Jewel 58

We are very happy that you had such a lovely holiday and enjoyed the fantastic location and services we have to offer.

Thank you for your kind comments about the efficiency and friendliness of our staff. I can assure you that they are very happy to help in any way possible to make your stay is as comfortable as possible while you were with us.

We hope to welcome you back to our resorts again in the very near future as a valued return guest, please contact me directly if you require any assistance.

We are happy to extend our hospitality onto your daughter should she choose to book with us for her August visit, she too is most welcome to contact me directly.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

We stayed for three nights in December 2012 and we thought we were in a beautiful dream when we first arrived, actually it felt like a dream flying in over Aitutaki, is this the most beautiful place on earth. The resort is beautiful we had a spectacular view over the lagoon from our room, the outdoor shower was a first for us, its okay, nobody can see you. The colours of the lagoon can not be explained, its mesmerising. The staff, accommodation, food and entertainment were excellent. We hired some scooters and spent a day covering the Island. It was on a Sunday and we stopped outside of the churches on the island to listen to the congregation sing, it was truly inspiring, the musical instruments they play and singing was like attending a concert. Some even asked us to come inside. If you go to the Cook Islands you have to spend some time at Aitutaki, we are so pleased we did. After Aitutaki we spent three nights at Rarotonga. Both Islands are so beautiful, yet so different.

Room Tip: You have to get a room that faces the lagoon, there are also rooms that are out over the water facin...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michael_Sue_2014

Kia Orana Michael & Sue

We are indeed blessed to be located on it’s own private island directly on the most breathtaking views of the Aitutaki Lagoon and is called the world’s most beautiful lagoon; it is a must to tick of your bucket list.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Feel free to contact me directly if you require assistance

Reviewed 24 January 2014

We spent 5 days in aitutaki and did a bit of resort hopping, which we had been told by multiple visitors and locals was a nice part of the experience and all the resorts were very open to it... Until we went to the aitutaki lagoon resort and spa. We attempted to get on the boat and go across to the resort for lunch and were greated extremely rudely by the boat operator who yelled out 'no outsiders' them turned around and started laughing at us, along with the other 4 people on the boat. We loved aitutaki and will be back but will never recommend anyone to this establishment. Unlike the rarotongan which had lovely welcoming staff.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Lpreb

Kia Orana Lpreb

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your experience of your visit to our resort.

The Aitutaki Lagoon Resort & Spa is located on it’s own Private Island we do take preventative measures to ensure our guests Privacy is Respected.

All visitors are welcome to visit the island to take part in a full site inspection held every day at 2pm, depending on room availability you will view each bungalow type, an introduction to our Activities Department, a presentation on our Restaurants and events capabilities, Kuriri Point – Our hidden jewel ideal for Weddings, Private Functions, Private Candle Lit Dinners, and Private Beach Gazebo’s, SpaPolynesia, Conference Facilities and many more.

Visitors are welcome to join us for breakfast, lunch and dinner; we ask that they contact the resort to make a booking, our boat drivers are notified of your expected arrival.

I am concerned that you found our staff extremely rude as many of our guests go to great lengths to applaud the staff for being nice and super-friendly.

Thank you again for your feedback, It would be my pleasure to welcome you back in the future and I would be happy to take you around on a personal tour of our Private Motu (Island) Akitua.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Kia Orana to all the staff at Aitutaki Lagoon Resort & Spa - such a wonderful, magical place! I was the guest/photographer of a client who was marrying at your resort. I have travelled to many beautiful places in the world, in Europe, Asia and Australia, and I must say that Aitutaki goes down in my books as being one of my very favourites. And in the 11 years I've been a professional wedding photographer, you can imagine I've seen a lot of different weddings. Hands down this was my favourite wedding - ever (outside of my own, that is!). There is NOTHING that compares to your resort when it comes to a wedding - I haven't seen anything more special than this for a non-religious wedding.

The staff are extremely friendly, down to earth and very welcoming. The location - WOW! I've been to Hawaii, Kaui and Maui, and they're beautiful, but they're also big and commercial (except the East side of Maui and the North of Kaui). I loved firstly the greeting I received when the boat crossed the islet to the private island. I've never stayed on a private island before, and living a busy life, I found the lack of noise and lack of people to be a wonderful, peaceful, relaxing change of pace.

I LOVE the colours and the nature of the island. I went on the island cruise, and just loved snapping photos of every intensely beautiful moment. The colour of the water changes moment by moment, and I've never seen water such a beautiful colour of blue.

I've read some negative comments on this site, and here's what I think. If someone is like me, just an ordinary, hard-working person who wants to escape the rat race and indulge in a quiet, relaxing break from the hectic world, having everything taken care of by warm, generous people, this is the place to come. If, on the other hand, someone is accustomed to the high life, travels the world and stays at the most luxurious 5-7 star resorts that come from the major hotel chains, it's fair they know that's not the kind of luxury that the Aitutaki Lagoon Resort offers. The Luxury afforded by the Lagoon Resort is the luxury of peace, quiet, being taken care of by down-to-earth, friendly people, but there is no putting on if airs. The staff are genuine and friendly, and the food is delicious, if not necessarily a 10/10 that a Melbourne food critic might give, for example, but it IS good - really good! But I don't think that's what or why people come here, if they want that sort of thing that's best had in the city. But for the luxury of PRIVACY, peace and quite, and a certain luxury of nature, this is an amazing location and experience. It's really just ideal for ordinary, everyday people who want something really, really, really special, because I've never seen anything anywhere that compares.

Mani Mate and Kaiti Paiti did an amazing job for my clients who married on the island, and the best review is their total happiness. They had absolute NO complaints at all - not a one - of your resort. They will remember this beautiful and amazing experience for the rest of their lives. There is never, ever going to be an experience anywhere in the world, paid, partly paid or entirely free, that is 100% perfect, because life is life, and nothing's perfect. But to have an experience that you have no complaints about is as close to perfect as I could ever imagine. Well done guys! I will recommend you without reservation to anyone.

Oh! PS - I was very impressed with the fact that when I thought I needed something, all I had to do was open the closet door, and everything I could have asked for was right there, before I ever needed to ask - umbrellas in the event of rain (which I needed), an iron and ironing board, a broom and dustpan, insect spray, in-room safe, mosquito coils, not to mention dressing gowns! (And I know that list is not complete, it's just what I remember). Again, very impressed, had a lovely, lovely, lovely time, and can't get the Polynesian music out of my head. Fortunately there's YouTube for that :)

Room Tip: I had the Beachfront Bungalow, and it was fantastic - it had a king-size bed, looked out on the wate...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank Anastasia S

Kia Orana Mama Anastasia

I will pass your comments onto the team and especially Mani and Kaiti, everyone will appreciate your comments.

Feel free to contact me if you require any assistance.