Just returned from 6 nights at Tamanu Beach Resort staying in a one bedroom beachfront bungalow (room 201). This resort is fairly small in size but offered exactly what we were looking for. The bungalow was beautiful, basically 5 metres from the water with lounge chairs out front and a daybed on the verandah which was excellent for that afternoon snooze or reading a book. The bungalow had everything you need, although the water temp in the shower was sometimes difficult to maintain. The rooms have a safe, TV/DVD player, hair dryer etc. Also great that the resort supplies fresh bottled water to rooms to drink and have coolers available for any top ups, which we haven't experience before. Our other trips to Fiji & Vanuatu we always had to purchase our water.
The resort is spread out and at times you feel like your the only ones there. The restaurant is an open style one where they roll down plastic covers on the side when bad weather is around. We ate at the restaurant every night /breakfast and the food was at a very good standard. The staff were lovely however some nights it did take a while to get drinks, so just chill and remember your on island time. We found it quite funny that at times they run out of some types of food as they wait for the next ship to arrive with supplies. While we were there we were told the island had run out of tomatoes and other fruit and vegetables. Once again, just chill and relax and you will have a great time.
In regards to insects, we didn't notice or experience and major dramas. Staff at the restaurant use mozzie coils every night which seems to keep them under control. For those who get bitten a lot, take the usual precautions and put on a repellant and you will be fine.
Reception and all the staff at Tamanu are lovely and pleasant and tried to assist where possible. We booked day trips and scooter rentals through them and everything was perfect. Just a mention about the WiFi, its not free at Tamanu but you can purchase time through reception. We found the hotspot reception over the first few days fairly good however the last 3 days was basically not available. Reception staff were trying to sort it out as other customers were also experiencing problems. The last I heard they were contacting Telecom to fix it.
The beach and snorkelling in front of Tamanu was good, they clean the resort and beach quite often. We are keen snorkellers and would suggest the coral and fish in front of Tamanu as good, if you are looking for better, than a day trip out to honeymoon or one foot islands is better and a great day out. We went with Aitutaki Adventures and had a great day, the guide was quite funny and we saw lots of fish.
Overall, Tamanu and Aitutaki in general is a great place to chill and unwind. As with all island holidays, don't let the little things worry you. Have fun and enjoy one of the prettiest lagoons you will ever see in the world. If planning to go as a family, make sure you do your research. We didn't notice many children on the island as it is more designed for couples as it is very very quiet at night time apart from the restaurant scene etc.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A warm island welcome to Tamanu Beach Hotel- your luxury Pacific Island getaway destination, on the pristine atoll of Aitutaki. Tamanu Beach resort is located on the western coast of Aitutaki, with stunning sunset views from our beachfront Restaurant and Bar. Tamanu Beach resort offers four bungalow accommodation options, including self contained studio rooms and one bedroom lagoon view rooms. All our Cook Islands bungalows are nestled amongst lush tropical gardens. Our beachfront rooms are on the water's edge- a stone's throw from our gorgeous blue lagoon. Our stunning Aitutaki beachfront resort features 22 bungalows, conference facilities, two fresh water swimming pools, a beachfront bar and restaurant and a gift shop. Casual Luxury at Tamanu Beach Our private, white sand beach borders Aitutaki Island's crystal clear lagoon providing endless opportunities for island activities such as swimming, snorkelling and kayaking in the azure waters. Tamanu Beach is family operated and we offer guests a truly unique Polynesian experience. Every Thursday enjoy Island Fire- a performance of Cook Islands song, dance, fire dancing and more from our talented and dynamic cultural group. Tamanu Beach is a popular haven for magical Cook Islands weddings and honeymoons, and is within easy reach of local cafes, bars and restaurants giving you the opportunity to dine out at your leisure. Your stay with us includes the following complimentary services: •Return airport transfers •Daily tropical breakfast •All Kayaks and Masks and Snorkels ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ebookers, Priceline, Agoda, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Evoline ltd so you can book your Tamanu Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tamanu Beach Aitutaki, South Pacific - Cook Islands
- Tamanu Beach Hotel Aitutaki