“Perfect location; budget stay”
Review of Ranginui's Retreat

and 1 more site!
Ranginui's Retreat
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Aitutaki
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Location was perfect. Beautiful view of the lagoon and view of the expensive Aitutaki Lagoon Resort! Steve was an excellent host. Picked us up from the airport. Taught us to ride scooters. Eco toilet is nothing to worry about. I was hesitant at first but it does not smell at all (better than a regular toilet). For the price and the location, this was the perfect place to stay! Restaurants are nearby.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank lisa108

Reviewed 30 September 2012

This was my second visit to Aitutaki as once was definitely not enough. The first time I stayed on the Western side of the island which was nice, but nothing like the eastern side and the perfect Ootu beach! It is the best spot on the island for swimming, lazying around on the beach and eating out. Ranguini's is located smack bang in the centre of this area and what great value for money. Nothing beats the view from your bungalow!! Steve the owner is fantastic and made me feel right at home, any query I had he was happy to help. I rented a scooter from Steve for a few days and got to explore every part of the island. The bungalows are simple and have everything you need - a double bed & single, kitchenette with small fridge and stove, dining table, open closet and bathroom with shower. Ranguini's also has a swimming pool and free kayak hire! The only drawback is the compost toilet but if you can get over that then this place will meet all your expectations! What value for money on the most perfect island in the world. I'll be back again realy soon!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank AussieGal1980
Reviewed 23 March 2012

OMG is this our room was the first thing we said when we got dropped off on our doorstep, the sun was shining on the most beautiful bluest lagoon i have ever seen. we stayed here for 3 nights before relocating to the other side of the island to a rental home. we explored the whole island n can honestly say you won't find a better spot. We travelled with our 3 yr old and there was a single bed for him next to our double was which was great we all had the most gorgeous view.
We spent most of our time in the water if not in front of our room then we'll use the canoe to explore the waters or go over to the resort just across from us where you can have a cocktail over the water. the room is budget but clean and comfortable i can't say anything bad about it except for the 'compost toilet' I'm not used to not flushing. but if you can get over that fact and you don't want to pay an absolute fortune at aitutaki lagoon resort then i will highly recommend to anyone to stay here, the waters on the other side/ amuri side of the island are very shallow so its hard to actually go for a "swim".
Steve the owner is great, truly friendly. he helped us with car rental n even gave as the same low price even when we went to the rental home.
we spent 2 weeks in the cooks islands, in a few different places, but this place was deffinately the highlight of our trip, we can't wait to get back there and ranginuis retreat is exactly to where we'll be returning too.
Also we went on black pearl to explore and go snorkelling around the island, their service is amazing, highly recommend

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank IFudare
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Four nights sandwiched between stays in Rarotonga and just what we needed. Very relaxing and what a perfect spot! Of course it is budget accommodation but that is part of the charm. Walk out your door and step into the warm water. You dont have to do anything but enjoy the peace and quiet - apart from the roosters of course! If you feel like some exercise though there is kayaking or take one of the amazing snorkelling trips - we joined TeKing and had a great day. Also the restaurants and there are a few on that part of the island that are more than adequate. Clean, comfortable accommodation with very helpful and friendly staff. A little out of town but that is fun when you are mastering the art of riding a scooter with the added bonus of very little traffic to get in the way! Would recommend this accommodation for a totally laid back break away - take some breakfast makings and mosquito repellant. You might even get time to read a book!

Room Tip: Room next to pool. Some have air conditioning and that would be a bonus.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Only stayed 1 night at RR having spent time elsewhere on the island. I haven't made my mind up whether I liked staying over this side of aitutaki compared to the Amuri region. But I'll save that debate for another day. At least I could get my Top Gun fix and race the planes along the runway on the road out to Ootu.
As for RR, I would describe our stay as pleasant, but its not somewhere I'm itching to get back to. On the plus side... The rooms are spacious, clean and air conned (for an extra charge). The views are great looking back across the lagoon. Kayaks are available for guests to explore some of the nearby motu. And there is a deep swimming channel out the front, as well as a pool if you'd prefer a different water experience. Steve is a good bloke who is happy to run you to the airport, store your bags or hire you a moped on site. Oh and you're a short walk to the best coffee on the island at Koru.
But in saying all that, we just didn't find that RR floated our boat. It was nice, without being great, and I think if you are on Aitutaki then you probably want great. As I said, the rooms are fine, but they aren't anything special. The toilet is a nature loo, which was a little disconcerting at first, but remarkable in the fact that it doesn't actually smell funky. Overall RR is good value but we paid a similar price to stay in a more central location. The jury is still out on whether I liked staying over on this side of the island and ultimately that is probably influencing my review here.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Had 3 nights here this month. Perfect location in front of a very swimmable part of the lagoon. Quiet, peaceful spot to get away from it all but with plenty of things to do on the rest of the island and the lagoon. Swimming pool was a bonus, kayaks available and 3 or 4 restaurants/bars in easy walking distance. Surprisingly good food, prices and atmosphere at all the nearby restaurants & bars. Rented one of their rather rustic scooters for the duration which was essential for exploring the rest of the island, getting to town etc. Rooms were small and basic but comfortable, the composting toilet took a wee bit of getting used to but given the limited water resources the island has made a lot of sense. Had no issues with the mozzies and other wildlife that seems to bug other reviewers – maybe a seasonal issue I guess. Cooled with a ceiling fan only, no air con in my room which wasn't a problem. If that was an issue other rooms looked like they had aircon available. Very laid back and friendly staff. Will definitely be back

Room Tip: Room 4 - next to the swimming pool
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Matt38
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Spent 7 nights, and wish we stayed more. Took a while to slow down closer to island time, not certain if it is in my blood to adapt completely, but once I slowed down, the place becomes perfect! Steve is a fine man, was always helpful, as was the rest of the staff. Others staying there were laid back and friendly. Bring stuff for mosquitoes, a problem in the whole area - at times we just brought our chairs in from the porch and sat just inside our door, looking out. The fresh water pool is very nice after being in the salt water (and rinsing off). Not the place if you are expecting a Hilton, but if you are a regular budget traveler - this place is great - best view, nice room, good vacation!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple