We stayed here for 8 nights for our honeymoon in early October 2012. The bungalows couldn't be in a better place on the island. Absolutely incredible view from the deck. There are three bungalows which are right on the beach. They are off of the road so it is nice and quiet. Roro picked us up as advertised and took us in to town for groceries. The bungalow was very nice and clean, and Roro came by occasionally to check on us and service the room. She also took us into town to pick up some bicycles to ride around on, and booked the included lagoon cruise (through TeKing) as promised. I guess some other reviewers didn't realize that the building behind the bungalows contains the laundry and masks/snorkels, but they were all there for use by the guests. We snorkeling off of the beach is decent but the best snorkeling is done by boat through a snorkel tour. Yes it is shallow, and yes there are many sea cucumbers, but the island is an atoll and that is just how the beaches are on these types of islands. After touring the island, the beaches in front of even the most expensive resorts were just the same, so don't get turned off by complaints. However, for a some deeper water, there is a public beach area just down the road (500m or so to the left if looking out towards the ocean) where they have dredged the bottom out next to shore, providing a nice deeper place to swim and snorkel.
We never had a problem with bugs inside the bungelow, but we made sure to keep all food in the fridge or sealed up, and always put trash into the outside bin immediately. There were a few mosquitoes outside, but not bad considering it is a tropical island. Roro provided us with a few mosquito coils which helped. Be sure to bring some bug spray no matter where you stay.
There are a few places to eat within walking distance, but rent some kind of transportation. The island is small enough for bicycles to be adequate (which we did) but most people would probably prefer scooters. If doing your own cooking, be sure to go to the local market downtown. They didn't have much, but we got a bag of 12 nice sized tomatoes from the garden for $3, as opposed to 4 from the grocery store for $10.
The only things we were disappointed in were the poor condition of the beach chairs and kayaks. They kayaks worked and there were paddles, but there were cracks in the seats of the two smaller kyaks. There need to be more beach chairs as well (at least 2 per bungalow). However, to us, these were small issues and did not reduce our enjoyment of the lodging or the island.
Overall, we loved this place and the owners, but a few things need upgrading or replaced.
If we ever make it back, we will definitely stay here again!
Pros: location, location, location (right on beach and centrally located on island); great air conditioning; covered deck; laundry; airport pickup and trip to grocery store; having a kitchen to do some cooking
Cons: poor condition of beach chairs and kayaks
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- AITUTAKI SEASIDE: Aitutaki Seaside is an accommodation made up of three absolute beachfront bungalows situated in a private setting on the north western side of Aitutaki. They are self catering, self servicing bungalows that are equipped with all of the essentials required to cater for your stay. As all three bungalows are ABSOLUTE BEACHFRONT they have excellent views to the lagoon straight from your veranda and being situated on the western side of the Island they all look out to the sunset side of the Island. From your bungalow walk on the white sandy beach and within seconds dip your toes in the stunning Turquoise lagoon. You will be greeted at the Airport and the managers will meet you at Aitutaki Seaside Lodges to welcome you and provide a brief orientation. Return airport transfers can be arranged. Please note a surcharge may apply. please contact us to request airport transfers. Each Bungalow has a simple open plan design with kitchenette and en-suite. They are fully insect screened and have air conditioning. There is a phone available to all guests in the guest laundry which will allow for making local calls to assist in booking restaurants, lagoon tours, rental vehicles and also to contact the managers if required. BBQ facilities are available for guests use. There is a wifi hotspot available from your room. Please note surcharges apply. Aitutaki Seaside provides good value and we are sue they will cater well to your stay in Aitutaki. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Aitutaki Seaside reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aitutaki Seaside Hotel Aitutaki
- Aitutaki Seaside South Pacific - Cook Islands