“Superb”
Review of Matriki Beach Huts

and 1 more site!
Matriki Beach Huts
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Matriki is one of the very few places I have visited which just does everything right. The lovely little beach bungalows are so clean and comfortable, yet so simple. The views in the morning over the lagoon are lovely. Trevor and Tracy are great hosts - it felt more like visiting friends more than anything.

Highlight was definitely going on Trevor's lagoon cruise, twice in fact with my brother. The snorkelling spots he took us too were brilliant, and it was so nice being the only people there. Lunch in tropical paradise was also outstanding, freshly prepared beforehand by Trevor and Tracy. Thoroughly recommend going with Trevor on the lagoon as he takes you to places that other's may not.

Would love to go again. It's a breath of fresh air to stay at a place like this. Hope Aitutaki stays beautiful and doesn't get too commercialised, it's perfect as it is, and Matriki fits in with this so well!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Trevor-Tracey, Manager at Matriki Beach Huts, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Hi
Trevor and I have tried to make the place as comfortable as possible and to provide all the little things that make a place special. It is often the small details that are noticed the most and make such a huge difference. Like the lunches you mentioned, we really spend a lot of time and energy in making the lunches as good as we try to give guests home cooked and healthy meals as this is often what people miss the most. It also gives our guests an insight into what is available food wise on the island and how healthy you can live on a remote island.
Snorkelling trips are another area where we want to offer a experience different from all the other operators etc, We endeavour to take you to the best places at the best times and tides and to plan the day around you and nature so your experience is the best possible it can be on the day. Small personal trips also allow us to cater to what you want to do most, be that spending time in the water cruising the fabulous reefs or just admiring the beach and the view. Trevor really knows the reefs and the lagoon and is one of those who loves to get into the water as well, so he can pass on his knowledge and experience to make your dives even better. It is also important to make it sustainable and to protect the reef and the islands. Mostly we love your comment "it felt more like visiting friends more than anything." because that is the experience we endeavour to provide. Thanks for you review and thanks for becoming a Matriki guest, ( a select bunch) we hope to see you back one day. Tracey and Trevor

There are newer reviews for Matriki Beach Huts

Reviewed 12 November 2013

I'd like to facetiously thank Trevor, Tracy, Ted and Tiger for ruining our grand vacation. My wife and I just retired and to celebrate we have just begun an nine month vacation. Unfortunately our first stop was Matriki on our way from Los Angeles to Auckland. It was a perfect Paradise. There can be no better hosts than Tracey and Trevor, no better accommodations than the Matriki beach huts and no better time than the three and a half weeks that we spent there. In short we have no hope of finding a better place in this world on the whole rest of our vacation. The only consolidation we have is that once our vacation is over we are going to return to Matriki and get a permanent lease on the Tree House. We are going to live in the bottom and invite all of our friends, alphabetically, to come and visit so that we can show them what Paradise is like.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dhay

Hi I am so glad we could welcome you and show you some Southern Hemisphere Hospitality. Tracey and I are so glad you enjoyed your stay so much, we very much enjoyed your company. It was our pleasure to allow you to relax and enjoy the first part of your retirement. It is not often we have guest who can stay and enjoy without any time restraints, so from these guest it would seem 3 1/2 weeks is now the perfect amount of time to stay, though I think you were still wanting to stay longer hey, but duty does but call. Tracey and I really hoped you got a real insight into the island and its people, customs etc and of course the lagoon. oh by the way Ted and Tiger are lauding it over Marmalade since he did not get a mention.We do try to give everyone a fabulous time but with guests like you it is so easy. it is great when guests come with such a amiable attitude and love of interaction. We are so pleased to have met you and hope you keep in touch, and that your vacation is superb and you know you are always welcome back, we will keep you favourite room free. PS thanks for the fantastic photo night it is a memory that will always remain with us. All the best from the team at Matriki Trevor and Tracey, Nga Ted Tiger and Marmalade

Reviewed 5 November 2013

When I was on Aitutaki in June, I discovered Matriki, quite by accident. It's one of those places that you immediately know you have to come back to. I was staying in different accommodation at the time, but booked with Tracey and Trevor to stay at Matriki on my next visit. My feelings served me well! I stayed at Matriki for two weeks, but even that didn't feel like long enough. Tracey and Trevor have made Matriki absolutely charming. The rustic beach huts are really delightful, and no attention to detail has been spared. I stayed in the 'Beach Hut' There's everything you could possibly need in one delightful and very cute package. I loved it.

Other than the amazing environment and very well maintained accommodation, possibly the most captivating thing about staying at Matriki is the warm, inclusive atmosphere. It's a place for travellers, as opposed to tourists. Singles and couples, families, friends, it all works really well, with each guest being unique in their own way, and from a particular corner of the world, so it makes it really interesting. Tracey and Trevor evoke this inclusive ambience, and that's something that's important to me. Everyone I met who stayed there felt the same. It's not just the place you stay in, but the people and the atmosphere that's probably more important for me.

Trevor went out of his way to ensure that all his guests were treated to wonderful lagoon tours and snorkelling trips if they wanted to. Nothing was too much trouble, and the wonderful old Matriki boat is just perfect for this purpose. It's loaded with character. Both Trevor and Tracey prepare wonderful food for these trips, and again, no detail is left unattended. They put in a lot of effort, and the prices are very reasonable. Tracey's touch around Matriki is unmistakable, but more importantly, their warm hearts make you feel welcome and relaxed.

I can't recommend this place highly enough, but if you're looking for luxury, this is not it. It's rustic, cute, charming, comfortable, very adequate, and the beachfront location is one of the best (in my opinion) on the island. The snorkelling off the beach is also very good, with a host of small coral bombes scattered around, the home of a myriad of small, beautiful and brightly coloured fish, as well as a very, very large giant clam.

Go there!! You'll be missing out on a very unique experience if you don't.

Room Tip: They're all great, but my favourite is the Beach Hut.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Carolyn G
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Honestly, this is one of the nicest, most beautiful places in the world. Tracey and Trevor have done a tremendous job with Matriki. It's the details that make a difference. The huts are immaculate. They put thought into every little detail, from the curtains to the kitchen equipment. We have absolutely no complaints. If you want a resort with a TV, don't stay here - it's not for you. But if you want to enjoy Aitutaki as it should be and experience paradise, this place is awesome.

Those sunsets will never get boring.

Room Tip: The Beach Hut was perfect. No in-suite toilet, but the shared ones were always clean available.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vaneynde
Trevor-Tracey, Manager at Matriki Beach Huts, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2013

Hi thanks for your review.
You are right this is a beautiful island and we have worked hard to make Matriki as comfortable and friendly as possible. We are always in the process of making improvements and your right it is the attention to detail that makes a place stand out from the rest. The natural beauty of the place is most peoples idea of paradise, we just try to make our little piece of it as easy going as possible and try to help our guest in any way we can. If you love what you do people can see it and feel it and respond to it the most positive of ways. We have meet so many wonderful people and some like you guys will be friends forever. Please drop us a line and tell us how you are, oh and when you are booking for next year.
Trevor Tracey and of course Ted

Reviewed 27 September 2013

We had a wonderful experience staying at Matriki, despite my initial hesitancy of thinking it would be " roughing it" :) It was awesome and we are so glad we made the choice to stay here! Tracey and Trevor were so welcoming and our beach hut made us feel we actually were on our own little island. The snorkeling right in front of us was fantastic, and the cultural tour, and lagoon cruise were highlights. Our hut was clean and cute-and the toilets were always kept clean and were not a typical "outhouse" - like one may expect. Outdoor showers were fun too.
This was a wonderful and more authentic way to experience Aitutuaki, and as a travel agent, I highly recommend it--something different from the typical resort experience.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Lynnblair
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We were lucky enough to stumble upon Matriki Beach Huts when surfing the Internet for an affordable place to stay in Aitutaki. Despite being there only five nights, the experience was fully enjoyed with snorkling, scooting around the island and eating in remote dinners in the forest.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jdesy
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Matriki is an experience not just a place to lay your head. The huts are alongside each other right on the beach though they are amazingly private. After reading several reviews before booking, I was a bit concerned about privacy but found my stay to have plenty of quiet time and space for this contemplative reader/writer/ocean gazer who enjoys a good nap on vacation.The grounds are fun are well kept. The bathrooms are incredibly clean. My bed was iffy. They provide all the drinking water and a few mosquito coils and kitchen amenities to kick start your stay. Be sure to read the information provided in each hut. It will outline services and provisions.Trevor and Tracey are wonderful hosts! They have a son named Ted. They care a great deal about what they do and how they do it and they care a great deal about your stay with them. The tours were amazing. Trevor has taught himself much about navigating the lagoon. Aitutaki is all about the lagoon, so get out there as many times as you can. The lagoon is breathtaking and you'll learn something new and see something new with every go. I'm not much into going back to places I've been before, I'd much rather go somewhere new but I'd like to get back to Matriki before Trevor and Tracey are on to new adventures. They make you wanna come back to them. Funny little tidbit...Trevor was the "go to" guy for just about everything so I was naturally inclined to go to him when it was time to wrap things up at the end of my stay. I quickly realized that Trevor hasn't quite figured out how to master his generous heart with the business side of things so, look to Tracey for your office needs. They are a wonderful team and an endearing couple. Thanks for leaving a wonderful impression on me and making my experience all that it was.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo