My wife looked at the photos of the huts and said eeek ! your taking me to stay with Robinson Crusoe!. But what a pleasant 9 days it was. The huts are right on the beach which has Coral as good as any on the island 10m offshore. They & the toilets are kept very clean by Tracey & Nga & are within walking/cycling distance of the “town” & most of the resorts (should you want an upmarket meal). We made it a point to eat/have a drink at least once at each of the $500 to $1500 a night resorts (even took the free room tour-requires pre booking- of the A Lagoon Resort & Spa) and there was no way they were worth 5 or 10 times what we had at Matriki.
What really made it though was that Tracey & Trevor, who have been Managing Matriki for just over a year, really went out of their way to make us have a memorable experience. I wont mention Trevor’s cooking skills on the Australia Day trip to One Foot Island, as he set the bar very high other than to say that both the one foot trip and the snorkeling trip were very good value for money, swimming with the 5 inquisitive giant trevally( like 1.2m plus) was a high light. Zipping around on the scooter for a day was fun, we even had some Russian “spies” visit in a private jet to get the island talking, we were glad we had 9 days as had rain for 2 days, but Tracey has a vast book collection for rainy days.
Aitutaki sometimes has fresh food shortages and everything else is very expensive, so if you are self catering best to bring what you can from Rarotonga unless you want to pay double or not have it at all e.g. only imported NZ tomatoes $5 each when we stayed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Quiet budget rustic self contained absolute beachfront huts on the nicest natural snorkeling and swimming beach on beautiful Aitutaki, Cook Islands. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Matriki Beach Huts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matriki Beach Huts Hotel Aitutaki
- Matriki Beach Huts Aitutaki, South Pacific - Cook Islands