“The Best Place on Earth!”
Review of Matriki Beach Huts

and 1 more site!
Matriki Beach Huts
San Diego
“The Best Place on Earth!”
Reviewed 7 January 2009

It is simply too difficult to express our stay at Matriki with mere words. Matriki was the first accommodation of a month long honeymoon journey around the Cook Islands and Fiji. Once we reached Fiji we stayed at expensive, decked out accommodations and the entire time my wife and I shared openly, “We would be happier if we stayed at Matriki longer”. It is a relevantly daunting task to construct this review simply because I do not want people to find out about this jewel in the South Pacific. I want to share it only with those closest to me. However I do feel obligated to share our experience because trip advisor is how we discovered Matriki.

From the moment we arrived we knew we were in great hands. Fred…or as I now like to refer to him as Captain Fred, gave my wife and I the complete overview of the property, equipment and island. We were blown away by how thorough and knowledgeable he is, as with all good Captains, he left no stone unturned. Once we got settled and situated we were simply in awe buy the location on the water, the grounds and the snorkeling right out front.

Our entire stay at Matriki was fabulous. We stayed in the tree house and loved every single minute. The property is surrounded by fruit trees and Captain Fred makes a point of keeping freshly picked fruit on hand in the common area to snack on. The tree house was extremely clean and very well stocked. After one quick trip to the store we had everything that we needed for our entire stay. We put everything into the fridge and we were rockin! All cooking equipment worked wonderfully and I was suprised how well stocked the kitchen was. We enjoyed every meal on the deck over looking the ocean and horizon.

On our 3rd day we were walking in from a trip around the island when Captain Fred and Kris called out to us “Hey guys, caught this nice tuna and well, we are gonna have appetizers tonight around 6, interested?” Needless to say we were and it was quite a treat! We met everyone that was staying at Matriki and had simply the best sashimi I have ever had! Also, Captain Fred grilled some amazing pepper seared tuna, if was essentially the best fish I had ever eaten. Just sitting around chatting with everyone was a joy in itself, Kris is an extremely brilliant host and makes a really insane dressing that I dunked my sandwich into during our snorkel trip. After the appetizers we all walked over to the beach and watched the most colorful sunset of our trip while snacking on pineapple lumps (awesome) and chilling with all the guests, Fred, Kris and the awesome lady that works at the bank that brought the pineapple lumps!

While at Matriki we rented one of their scooters twice and it was awesome. We also went on Captain Fred’s snorkel trip. Now the snorkel trip… I must expound.. In our journey we went on several snorkel trips and Fred’s was simply the best. The boat is awesome and very comfortable, the way the seats are set up, you get to see everything. Also Fred knows so much about the area and ocean that it is simply amazing.. Additionally, out of all the snorkel trips we went on, Fred was the only one to actually get in the water with us and point out cool stuff. This was my favorite part! He pointed out so many different fish and their names! After a discussion about water safety, Captain Fred was like, “this is pretty good visibility, we should see this, this and this, possibly some of these, the bottom will be like this” “Stay close and follow my lead, you guys ready?” “Let’s Go!” I also want to add how the snorkel trip was accompanied by an awesome lunch on a remote little island, after lunch we walked around the island as Captain Fred pointed out some of the neat things in the water. Like I said earlier, my wife and I kept telling ourselves that “We would be happier if were still at Matriki.” It is obvious that both Fred and Kris love the earth, the island and their guests. They go above and beyond to really make you feel welcome and to make your journey memorable. We came as visitors but left feeling like family. I want Fred and Kris to know that our offer stands! If your ever in San Diego and need a place to crash, just give us a call, we’ll pick you up!

(Didn’t add any photos because we just got home and my camera is somewhere. The photos up are good, but cameras simply do not do justice, trust me)

Jeremy & Dianna

• Liked — Every single moment!
  • Disliked — Leaving
3 Thank Sargi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Wellington
Reviewed 23 December 2008

We recently just returned from another incredible 10 days on Aitutaki, staying with Fred and Kris at Matriki Beach Huts.

We had already visited in July of this year and loved it so much we came straight back. On our previous visit we had stayed in the Upper and Lower Tree House huts, this time we stayed in the Beach Hut, all the accommodation was impeccably clean and very well appointed.

The managers (Kris and Fred Perron) are fantastic, have great local knowledge, know the best, and as yet, undiscovered snorkelling spots inside and outside the reef, are ecologically savvy, and if you fish, Fred is your man.

The ambience and location of Matriki is perfect, as their website states it's "Fancy Camping" and you feel like you picked the spot yourself and set up,but without the hassle of finding annoying things like (very) comfortable shelter,fresh delicious water,and more than adequate cooking facilites!. Swimming in the lagoon whilst watching stunning sunsets is just one of the many high lights,only rivaled by swimming in the lagoon in the morning and watching the moon set...we wanted for nothing.

Very central for supplies and activities easy walk or scooter/bike ride if you want to go foraging further afeild.

In summation, if you are looking for a place to stop and just be, a romantic getaway, you have 10 books you need to read, or you want to get back to basics and watch the weather in South Pacific roll by, Look no further.

2 Thank DrCarlTran
Quadra Island BC
Reviewed 11 December 2008

Our experience on Aitutaki was made perfect with our stay at the rustic Matriki Beach Huts. Fred and Kristene are top notch managers and provided us with incredible lagoon and reef experiences. We were kept busy with snorkelling, swimming with turtles, viewing stingrays, watching flying fish and catching yellow fin tuna. Their knowledge of the islands and the culture was valuable to give us the background we needed towards an understanding of the people. Fred has a pet rooster he has trained not to crow! It was a real hit! The huts are functionable comfort with refrigerators, coffee makers and toasters. The environment is quite clean and very comfortable.

• Liked — friendly help
  • Disliked — communal toilet
2 Thank buckaroo000
Melbourne
Reviewed 13 October 2008

Matriki is a fantastic place to stay, I had a brilliant time!
I stayed at Matriki back in 2006 and there have been so many improvements since Fred & Kristine have taken over, it's brilliant.
We stayed in the tree house on the lower level, which has everything you need for a comfortable stay, including fridge and cooking facilities.
Waking up to that beautiful view is one of the best things about Matriki! I'm scared of spiders so I am very happy to say, my toilet experiences were in solitary!!
Fred & Kristine are brilliant people and we really enjoyed their company (not to mention the sashimi). The snorkelling trip was fantastic...swam with turtles and spectacular fish. Fred is very knowledgeable about the ocean and is conscious of the environment which makes the experience even more enjoyable.
I would love to stay at Matriki again!
p.s. the shower warms up during the day in the sunshine

• Liked — Spectacular Beach/Great Hosts/Really relaxing
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank GinaMelbourne
Birmingham
Reviewed 8 September 2008

Matriki Beach Huts
22 August - 29 August 2008
We did a bit of research on where to stay on Aitutaki and picked a winner!
We stayed for 7 nights in the Tree House and it was fantastic. The room was spotless with a great view when you open the door in the morning.
Fred and Kristine who manage the place were perfect hosts, and really friendly. They have gone to a lot of trouble to eliminate any mosquitos with great results.
Fred runs an excellent snorkling trip which is essential to do, and he's right when he says they have the best snorkling off the beach at the front of their place, we tried a few spots and Fred was right.
Book it now
Jim and Lisa

• Liked — The location,managers and the room
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jugglingjim42
CavaFizz
Reviewed 29 May 2008

We had a great time here in July. Snorkelling of the beach was amazing. Managers kind, helpful and friendly. Have got the place very tidy. They are always tiding or fixing something. There were new toilets when we arrived which were quite luxurious for beach huts. We stayed in the beach hut which is right on the beach is basic but has got a few luxuries like a fridge!

You are basiclly left to get on as you like which is good all the other guest there were sound.

I would maybe stay in the garden villa if I stayed there again for the bonus of a indoor sink and shower.

I would say the price here is budget but what you get is top dollar.

• Liked — Location and friendliness
  • Disliked — Mosquitoes
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CavaFizz
England
Reviewed 5 February 2008

We stayed at Matriki's back in November and overall were happy with the facilities for the price we paid. We thought the location was good, great to go out and snorkel on your doorstep, very accommodating.

I don't agree the shared bathroom facilities and sub standard - they were clean, yes there may have been a few visitors...the odd spider etc. but what do you expect when staying on a tropical island!

Campers would like this place but I think those wanting to get away from it all and experience the Cook Islands for what they are would also have a great time here.

Thank you to the Management !

Stayed November 2007