Matriki Beach Huts
HotelQuickly
Etu Moana(Aitutaki)
Aitutaki Escape(Aitutaki)
  • Pool
All reviewstree houseother guestsgarden unitfishgas stovecook islandsone foot islandboat tripgreat snorkel spotan excellent lunchcommercial touroutdoor showerthe managersmosquito netbudget accommodationwarm hostslazy days
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 October 2010

We had a great time staying at Matriki Beach Huts. They were clean, basic and affordable, and best of all on a beautiful beach on the sunset side of the island. It was easy to rent scooters and bikes right on the premises. The snorkel cruise with Mathias was wonderful, he made sure we saw a number of sites with a variety of fish and the lunch he cooked up was delicious. All in all a very relaxing and enjoyable trip!!

Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2010

I had a fantastic time at Matriki Beach huts in Aitutaki. I even tried to extend my stay, It was exactly what I wanted. I stayed in the single hut on the beachfront, what a view! Went down the steps and felt like I had my own private soft sandy beach. Within 10 steps there is excellent snorkelling.
The host Matthias was excellent, he takes small groups out to visit the motu's and heavily aimed at snorkelling, he knows that reef like the back of his hand and took us to the top spots!! Cooked up a great feast too!
The sunsets were amazing, sitting on the logs outside the hut watching it and watching tiger lilly the cat doing some fishing while getting to know the other guests!!
Also hired a scooter here, I felt like one of the locals as everyone wants to say hi and give you a wave and a smile! It was peace and tranquillity and very friendly, I was gutted to be spending the next 5 nights in Raro, I loved Aitutaki and wanted to fly back there as soon as I'd left. If you're doing both islands then do Raro first or miss it out and visit the smaller ones instead. Depends on what you like really.
Matthias even came to me with a fresh coconut to drink in the morning as he though I may have a sore head from the couple of vino's I had at the Samade Island night!
If you want to relax, hang out on the beach and spend most your time on private islands and snorkelling, reading books in the evening with the odd Island night than this is for you. Raro was too noisy and busy for me and just lacked that something that Aitutaki had in abundance!!
I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else but at the Beach Huts.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank Lynners32
Reviewed 13 May 2010

I would like to recommend to everyone who is planing to travel to the Cook Island, not to stay on Rarotonga for too long but move on to that most beautiful little island called Aitutaki, as there you find the ultimate 'southsea island feeling' the experience you are looking for when you travel to the south pacific. Instead of staying in one of the rather large, impersonal and expensive hotels, we found a true jewel, Matriki Beach huts is a small bungalow retreat and even if its fully booked a maximum of 8 people stay there only. Its the most romantic place I have ever stayed at. The beaches are endless, the water is cristal clear and perfect for snorkeling, beautiful fish, clams, corals just in front of the complex. And the sunsets are stunning too... Matthias is the owner of this place and he lives in the compound as well, he is great host, he organizes bbq's, boat- /snorkelingtrips to the lagoon and to remote little islands, where you feel truely like Robinson!! You may hire a scooter and expore the island on two wheels, the locals are very friendly and the keep you busy waving back at them.. There are plenty of nice restaurants or coffee-shops on the island where they serve great food or even have 'Island nites' where you can enjoy local food. There are a few shops if you feel like cooking yourself, all the bungalows provide a small kitchen. We had the most beautiful time there and I can only recommend it to anyone who is looking for a 'non mainstream' type of place on the cook islands, a place with a personal touch.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
Matthias2, Owner at Matriki Beach Huts, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2010

Hi Meercat_10.

Thanks for your good review. Just to let you know as your rating for sleep quality was not top - in the meantime the Matriki huts now have thick latex core pure wool and cotton futon mattresses for extra comfort and I'm sure that you would sleep better should you decide to visit us again.

Reviewed 30 April 2010

No words can explane this beautiful place with this beautiful owner. The postcard you see every morning when you woke up and look on the amazing lagoon is exacly like the whole world try to show the sout pacific. My and my husband have the best three weeks in our whole life at Matriki. The beach hut is exacly what we expected it to bee, beautiful, clean and simple and made of palmleaf, what else in the sout pacif do you need? The owner, Matthias is a very beautiful and nice houst and allways help you when you need something. Matthias also do lagoontrip inside and outside the reef, pleas, down miss the opportunity to go whit him! And hopfully you will taste his amazing pawpawsallad.....If I could, I would go back right now! and stay for ever /Maria

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sushimylove
Reviewed 17 April 2010

Not being mentioned by the Lonely Planet, as the author couldn¨t find it, the only real budget place on Aitutaki is www.matrikibeachhuts.com. The huts/rooms are basic, but clean and fully equipped with a kitchen. and offer great value for money, you wouldn¨t get elsewhere on Aitutaki. They are located at a quite beach that offers the best snorkeling on the main island. The owner Matthias, a German expat spending most of his life in Australia, New Zealand and the Cooks, is a great guy and will make you feel like home immediately. Matriki consists of only 4 huts, therefore the number of guests is limited and the atmosphere therefore very personal. In fact all the guests there were really nice and we felt like a big family for our entire stay. We enoyed many great days and nights at Matriki with BBQs, guitar playing and star gazing at night and even had a spontaneous wedding of our neighbours in front of our hut. The highlight of our stay was an overnight stay on a deserted mini island (honey moon island) with Matthias and all the guests (group of 7), where we went fishing and night snorkeling, and simply enjoyed the simplicity of the beautiful island life. If you however prefer privacy, Matriki is great as well, as they huts are separated from each other with plenty of space in between. Most other luxury resorts we have seen during our one week stay on Aitutaki looked rather impersonal and a certain relaxed island vibe seemed to be missing. So even with more money to spend on accommodation, we would still stay at Matriki beach huts once again. Definitely recommended!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple