“Something different”

Alaska Horsemen Trail Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: Alaska Horsemen Lodge is an Alaskan destination nestled in the mountains of Cooper Landing. Adjacent to the tranquil Kenai Lake, it is a scenic 100-mile drive south of Anchorage. Our small ranch offers horseback riding, cozy cabins, wall tents, and RV parking on spacious grounds accompanied with comfortable common areas and beautiful mountain views. Known for its unique location for hosting corporate retreats, culture/educational camps, family reunions, adventure travel groups and a great base camp for the leisure traveler. The horses provide a calming and enjoyable backdrop and trail riding is one of the many activities guests find most enjoyable. Your host Alex Kime has been adventuring in Alaska over 50 years (but he is still a spring chicken!!!) and numerous testimonies share guests experience true Alaskan hospitality at our family's Alaska Horsemen Lodge. Our cozy Alaskan wood cabins and wall tent cabins make for a comfortable and memorable glamping experience. Folks mention often the serenity they experience at our small ranch. Our cabins and wall tents can sleep around 20 people. There are tents and camp sites for another 20. There is a spacious area for RV parking, all with mountain views. Our location, on the east end of Cooper Landing, is walking distance to good fishing Quartz Creek, the Kenai Beach, Quartz Creek Campground and the Sunrise Inn Café and lounge. We often watch sheep and goat on nearby Mt. Langille while sitting around the fire pit at the Pavilion. A truly unique and serene experience in an Alaskan pioneer setting.
Reviewed 25 September 2013

First of all, the 3 stars are based on MY experience and do not relate to Alaska Horsemen entirely. They were very nice, albeit a little slow to accommodate us with our timing and schedule. The woman who took us on the trail, again although nice, talked about herself during the entire 1 hour+ trail ride. I personally would have liked more riding, less talking. Frankly, I'm not a horse person. I did this for my wife who really enjoyed it, but I was very uncomfortable in the saddle the last 1/4 of the ride. It is very hard and my boney butt got very sore quickly. In addition, it was a rainy day and they gave us long coats, but they smelled unclean and musty. Still it was an adventure in Alaska and one of the highlights.

1  Thank DrMichael R
"sore"
in 4 reviews
"duane"

Reviewed 7 September 2013

My husband and I went here at the last minute on a rainy day. We decided horseback riding in the rain was better than hiking again in the rain. They gave us long leather coats and cowboy hats to wear so we were pretty comfortable. Essentially you just ride these horses through the woods and trails. There were amazing mushrooms of all colors everywhere. Some beautiful views. If you are a serious horse rider, you might be bored, but for someone who never rides horses it was fun. A little expensive, but then again, everything in Alaska is expensive. The owner and staff were very nice and attentive.

1  Thank BerryTN
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We did the two-hour trail ride with Alex, and it certainly lived up to expectations. Lovely, mannerly sure-footed horses, and some superb views.
I have my own horse at home, and have ridden all over the world, while my partner is more novicey and out of practise, but we both agreed it was one of the highlights of our Alaska adventure. I'd love to stay and do a multi-day trail here sometime.

2  Thank WanderlusterWindsor
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I don’t normally review on trip advisor anymore. But this experience was so FANTASTIC I had to say a little something……
Such a wonderful adventure! We stayed with Alaska Horseman for a week. We are a family of 2 adults and 2 kids. We made friends for life. The ranch is wonderful. The people are incredible. Our whole family is missing the ranch, the people, and the animals very much. We had an amazing adventure into the Kenai peninsula with Alex and his daughter Gretchen. They took us to places that are so beautiful, and spiritual words truly cannot do them justice. My girls got so close to the horses, they have pictures up in the bedrooms. The girls got to pan for gold with Alex, we had a few wonderful meals at the ranch. ALL prepared for us by Alex and Gretchen. We did day rides and ½ day rides around the ranch. We explored the town. Alex has wonderful recommendations for things to do and see. We are already working on pulling together a trip for next year. Alaska Horseman is a very special place.

4  Thank carrieag1
See more reviews
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I loved the two hour trail ride. They were so patient with the little 9 year old with us, it was her first time alone on a horse and she was a little frightened. They were patient with her and very encouraging. Gretchen was just wonderful and so was her Dad. We went on a two hour trail ride to a lake with a beautiful view and scenery. It was kind of far from Anchorage, but as kind and patient as they were I would go back again. I thank them for the memories and making Erin's first horse back riding experience a positive one. Great folks. They also have cabin rentals.

1  Thank kmcWaco