Highland Paradise Drums of our Forefathers Sunset Culture Show
Ranked #10 of 37 Tours in Rarotonga
Reviewed 3 July 2014

The visit to Highland Paradise was a highlight of my trip to Rarotonga. All the staff were very pleasant and helpful; the cultural tour was very informative; the dinner was SO tasty; the show was a continutaion of the cultural tour & complete in it's presentation. It was exceptionally enjoyable & I highly recommend that everyone should see it! :)
Kia Oran Highland Paradise :)

Highland_Paradise, General Manager at Highland Paradise Drums of our Forefathers Sunset Culture Show, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Kia Orana Lyn, Thank you for your great review. We're so glad you enjoyed the time you spent with us up at Highland Paradise and hope you take away memories of the Drums of our Forefathers until you next return. Kia Manuia, Anne, Tutu and the team.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Loved this night and well worth going to if you want to see the marae and learn the story of the people through dance. Share a fantastic umu feast.

Thank you Lianne for your great review. We look forward to seeing you in our piece of paradise again soon.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Personally I found the whole experience a bit over priced, $99 pp (June 14) first we had a tour where they showed us how to peel a coconut, got some history over ancestors, that went on a bit too long for me. Then we went inside for dinner, I was not too keen on most of the food, so my portions were Very small and half of that I left on the plate, but that is very personal, my husband did like the food. They only served one watery fruit drink, or a fruitdrink with a kick when we came in, and then you have to buy the rest of the drinks yourself. They only asked once if we wanted something to drink, which is weird considering you make the most profit on drinks. Then they have dance and drums. Very impressive, but after the second dance it looks all the same to me, the same drum sound, the same movements, the "impressed" faded quickly for me.
I spoke to a local about my experience, and to the Highland performer's defence she stated that maybe I was disappointed because I didnt understand all the hand movements, which were telling the story. This is my personal opinion though, if I was to revisit Rarotonga, I would not book this show again.

Highland_Paradise, Owner at Highland Paradise Drums of our Forefathers Sunset Culture Show, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Kia Orana and thank you for for both taking the time to visit our sacred marae and show and writing a review on your experiences.

We're sorry your experience wasn't the best one you had in Raro. Being situated on sacred (tapu) marae/land we try our very best to accommodate those visitors who are there to experience an entertaining show as well as those who are there to learn a little more about our history and culture.

As you will see from other guests experiences, mostly we get this mix just right. We are sorry you didn't enjoy your time with us as much as other visitors have.

In our marketing materials, we state that transport, dinner, the show and an on arrival cocktail are included but yes, for any additional drinks you must purchase these. Our bar is located in centre right of the building to allow easy access during the show. We do not have wait staff taking orders as this may disrupt other guests enjoyment of the show.

All of our food is umu (or underground oven) cooked traditionally on site the way our ancestors used to do it. We pride our Drums of our Forefathers experience as an authentic one, which is the reason many visitors choose us.

Thank you again for taking the time to visit Highland Paradise on your last visit. We do hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We wanted an authentic experience - Highland wasn't too bad - not that we went to any other 'cultural' shows. It was good to hear the stories and to respect the tikanga of the site. The meal was great - although not sure how much was cooked in an umu. And we enjoyed the show, the commentary and the s=kill of the drummers and dancers.

Kia Orana and thank you for your review. We're glad you chose us for an authentic experience as given our location and family ties to the land, that is what we pride ourselves on. As you would have learnt, our marae is believed to be hundreds of years old, and it is through hard work and dedication that we have managed to revive this ancient site to share with our visitors.

Meitaki Mataa (Thank you) again for sharing your holiday with us.

Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

We went to highland paradise night show with our 3 year old daughter. The information about the land was inspiring! An honour to be welcomed onto this significant land! Danny was the perfect guide and mc for the night! It is great to be at a cultural show where everyone is so passionate about their culture. Each person involved is giving so much! Friday night is the best night as you get to see the little ones dancing too! Great to see teenagers with a passion for culture unlike so many other countries in the world. Anne you are amazing to return to your ancestors and land and share this! You are so lovely and approachable that is gives a real connection. Totally true experience on sacred ground

2  Thank sunsetmotellers

Kia Orana,

Thank you so much for bringing your family to share our culture at Highland Paradise.

We're so pleased you found it fun, informative and entertaining. We are always happy to share a piece of our history and culture with our visitors who really appreciate and respect it.

Meitaki Maata,

Anne and the team at Highland Paradise.

Travellers who viewed Highland Paradise Drums of our Forefathers Sunset Culture Show also viewed

Been to Highland Paradise Drums of our Forefathers Sunset Culture Show? Share your experiences!