“Victor and Belinda had a great time!”

Sunrise Beach Bungalows
Glendale, California
“Victor and Belinda had a great time!”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We had a wonderful stay at the Sunrise Bungalows. We stayed there for 5 days, and enjoyed every day. The accommodations were exactly as advertised, with no disappointments. Caryn picked us up at the airport, and gave us a brief tour of the island to orient us, and provided many helpful pieces of advice (oh, and breakfast the next day). The location is convenient, and the service was excellent. Simple, relaxing, hospitable, and private. Highly recommended! We will return!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Waitakere, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 1 October 2013

My husband and i stayed with Sunrise in Aug 2013, we had a fantastic time, caryn was sooo helpful.
We stayed in a garden bungalow which was lovely and clean,and we had a great time also met some other nice people staying there.
We intend to go back next year.
gael

Room Tip: there are bech front available which are very nice but we preferred the garden as it was nice and pe...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I have just back to New Zealand after spending 8 days at the Sunrise Bungalows. I was extremely impressed by the treatment of myself and my travel buddies by the owner, Caryn. Caryn has a huge heart and a vey kind disposition. Just the sort of person to look after your needs while on holiday. She made our stay as hassle free as she could possibly make it. Nothing was too much of a bother and she always had time for a chat or to advise us on what to do in Rarotonga. Honest and reliable Caryn made our stay, magic. I thoroughly recommend staying at Sunrise Bungalows. There is a shop just down the road to pick up supplies and is not far away from some very good restaurants. I will be coming back to stay. I am looking forward to it very much. Thank you Caryn.

Room Tip: The beach view bungalows have a fantastic view of the ocean.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Coulnt ask for anything more. We got welcomed at the airport and treated with the up most resept Caryn goes above and beond. I highly recommend this place and carnt wait to get back next year. Thank you to Caryn for ALL your help, nothing was a problem and we are greatful see you in March :)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
pisa
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Booked this hotel for my honeymoon, i thought it was a good place to stay for location, near muri beach, and the price, very cheap for the area and for rarotonga in general.
I booked directly with the owner months before arrival, i pay 100 NZ$, one night deposit to guarantee everything and i wrote to the owner 1 week before my departure to be sure that everything was ok with my reservation and she told me YES! i organize like this: we arrived to rarotonga, one night there, next day to aitutaki island and we go back to this same place at the end, before departure until french polynesia.
When we arrived to the small airport of rarotonga she was waiting for us, everything was perfect, but in the car, while we were going to the bungalow, she told me that normally she was very organized but this time no, she was in wrong, she was booked more bungalow and i don't have my bungalow for this night!!! This is my honeymoon, please, i said to her, don't ruin my first stay in cook island please.
So, she told me that everything will be fine, because she reserved another hotel for us, no matters if it cost more, she put the difference, to apologize. this is what she told me.
Well, i was happy that everything was fine, she took the the saturday market in the main city, and we went back to her property in the afternoon. She drove us to the hotel that she reserved for my honeymoon: a dirty and disgusting place near avarua; horrible!!!! she told me that this is the only place that she can find, because everything was full.

Just because i was very very angry with her ad i didn't trust her anymore, we went out from this dirty place, until the centre, i called with public telephone another hotel and it had another available room for us, we spent a lot but it doesnt' matter, nobody can destroy my honeymoon.
we've been to this hotel and stay very well. i was very very disappointed with the owner of sunrise bungalow, also because i'm not believe that she try to solve the situation, this is what i think.
Next day we had the flight to aitutaki island, she offers her help to apology again, she told me that in the morning she took us to muri beach, then she bring us to the airport. I accepted this time but she've never arrived to the hotel to bring us to muri and the airport. I took a taxi, 20 NZD, but it doesn't matters again.
It was the first and i hope the lonely time that i had an horrible experience in one hotel, many years of travelling and it was the worst experience that i have ever had with an owner , i don't know why, but she really was bad with us!!!!!
The problem was that we had to sleep again in this property after aitutaki.. the owner wasn't here, she was in NZ and everything was fine this second time.
They brang us to the room, the room was very nice, just in front to the ocean, to apologize for the bad experience, in the fridge milk, marmelade for breakfast and a bootle of wine to apologize again but i can't excuse what this happened, i'm sorry but i only put 1 star rank to this hotel and i've never go there again even if the room is very nice, the kitchen is fully equipped and we are near muri beach ( 3 km walking)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank marinapotter
nz
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Stayed with a friend and my 4 month old baby. Was welcomed at the airport and transferred to our accommodation the cot was made for baby so very comfortable. Very homely place nothing was to much trouble. Was sad to leave after our 8 days.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We stopped off in Raro on our way to New Zealand. Caryn offered to pick us up at the airport including my golf clubs! This is typical of both her and Brian, nothing is too much trouble for them.

Let's get this straight from the start, this is Rarotonga in the Cook Islands, an idilic setting in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. We booked an Ocean front Bungalow and that is exactly what we got. The accommodation was clean and tidy, Caryn made sure we were happy once we had moved in, double checking that we had everything we needed.

The Bungalows are just a few meters from the waters edge looking out to the coral reef and the constant wash of the breaking waves.

So the location and accommodation were spot on, a short walk to Muri Beach where you can find cafes and places to eat or get a great flat white coffee made this a fantastic place for our trip.

I have looked at a couple of the negative reviews which are very unfair to Brian and Caryn. They work extremely hard to accommodate all the needs of their clients. It must be remembered this is the Cook Islands, not Monte Carlo! Not that there is anything wrong with either location, (yes I have been to both) except they are different. My preference is Sunrise every time. If you want all the glitz of a pretentious 5 star hotel you have booked the wrong location. This is a fantastic place, but you have to accept you are on a 'desert island' with limited access to some of the refinement you may be used to.

Caryn makes up for the inevitable lack of facilities with a wonderful attitude which will ensure your stay is thoroughly enjoyable. The Bungalows may be considered basic, but you are on holiday, so eating out or getting a take-away is what you should be doing rather than slaving over a hot stove. Perhaps that is why there isn't one!!

The Sunrise Bungalows are exactly what they say they are, a wonderful retreat right on the waters edge, but don't expect 5 star Monte Carlo glitz, your in the wrong place.

One final observation, which sums up both Brian and Caryn, was when they offered us the use of their spare car. Well it was, how can I put this politely? "Functional" sorry Caryn! (no Rolls Royces on Rarotonga), but it helped us get about on several occasions bearing the 30 mph speed limit and about 50 minutes to circumnavigate the island, a nice gesture.

Caryn and Brian will do their utmost to make you feel at home and have an enjoyable stay, genuine, honest, hard working hosts.

Room Tip: go for the beach bungalows
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple