“Do not go there!!”

Sunrise Beach Bungalows
Amstelveen
“Do not go there!!”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I don't know where to begin. I suppose at the beginning. Caryn picked me on Monday up at my Avarua hotel 45 minutes late. I had requested a beachfront bungalow but was given the bungalow as you first enter the property which hasn't any real privacy. Beside this sits 2 old rusty pieces of crap vehicles. There was even a cat sleeping on the bed, Caryn did not chase awy the cat but brougth me catfood instead.The matrasses are terrible, springs poking into your back. Everthing that could leak, was leaking. some faul-smelling kitchen towels in the little kitchen. Caryn explained that the Beachfront bungalow I had booked was taken by others of which she did not have received a booking by expedia. Caryn was blaiming Telecom CI for this, but I would go to my beachtfront bungalow on Wednesday. Tuesday morning Caryn brought as offered breakfast, including 2 peaces of watermelon of which 1 piece had fungi and was past eating it.I did not believe that this Beachbungalow would happen, so I went to the tourist office to ask advice what to do, because I did not want to stay there any longer. Whith the help of touristinformation I checked out at Sunrise Beach and Caryn paid me everything I had payed in advance. That was nice of her, what she never will realise that this were the last 6 days of my holiday and I had dreamed for months sitting there on my own porch looking at the ocean and may be seeing humpbackwhales passing by, that dream went to smettereens at the Sunset Beach

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Annamaartje
Sunrise47, Owner at Sunrise Beach Bungalows, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Factual reply to this review. The dutch guest was picked up complimentary from her
cheaper accommodation 45 minutes late as 8 guests had arrived earlier that day
with car hire and motorbike rental being arranged for them. This transfer usually costs $25-40
with the guest being told on pick up the reasoning why there was the time delay.
At the same time it was explainned to her that her oceanfront bungalow booked for 6 nights
was unavailable for the initial 2 nights as an Expedia prepaid booking ( made in April)
those American guests had arrived earlier that day. This guest had paid a deposit only with her booking made in August. The CIs have a monopoly
server Telecom who experience
persistent constant technical problems with not all correspondence being received in a timely fashion to operators here. This genuine ongoing issue has and was then again addressed by management
by contacting the Telecom CEO outlining their non performance issues and is still in the
process of being resolved. In fact later that evening the guest had difficulty in logging
onto the wifi hotspot here as she had purchased the standard Telecom card and the service
was slow.

The two rusty vehicles have been removed they were in the far corner of the property
as the recyling company here experienced machinery problems. These were removed
recently.
The cat is a resident cat with no objeciton being made by the guest to feed it.
when she arrived to the property.
The property linen then was done by the commercial laundromat with no mention
made at the time of the smelly teatowels.
The complimentary tropical continental breakfast was given to the guest
the following morning with the tray returned empty with no mention of the pawpaw
The bed was 4 months old with no springs showing Guests had vacated her room
the day prior with no complaints.
Management live on the premises and are available 24/7 to assist. which is done
willingly. And without knowledge feel she
underhandedly contacted CI Tourism with this review being posted on her first night
on arrival. She was picked up and returned to her original accommodation the following
morning free with the tour that had been booked for her the previous day cancelled.
At that time she was given a full deposit refund. Effectively this guest received free transfers to and from her accommodation and stayed at the property for one night free. She was at the end
of her journey and was disappointed that she was unable to spend the time booked
in the oceanfront bungalow for her entire stay. This being attributed to the Telecom server
which did not relay her email booking to the property in a timely fashion. both bookings were shown to her at the time.
Everything was done for the guest whilst she stayed at the property with none of the above
issues being made known to management at the time. She was offered a free night
at the end of her stay with the complimentary transfer to the airport but she never
took advantage of the offer as she without prior knowledge made the decision to
move. Hope that the guest enjoyed the rest of her stay in Rarotonga. It is disappointing
that the guest did not talk about her isses then on site with the team as these would
have been resolved immediately with again the logical explanations being told to her
at the time.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
New Zealand
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We spent 7 nights in September at Sunrise, and stayed in the house which was really roomy, clean and nice. Caryn was great, she picked us up at the airport, had a cooked breakfast organised for us as there really wasn't much fruit available anywhere on the island due to a drought, looked after all our needs. She was great and the accomodation was too.
You really do need to car to get around, as it's great to be able to go around the island, head to town or just down the road for dinner etc.
I think people need to know that this is a small island, most of the food and supplies are shipped/airlined in, therefor sometimes you can't get hold of things in a hurry - so if a bike breaks it might take a few days to get it fixed etc, so you need to make allowances at your accomodation for this.
The supermarkets have most food you need, some of it is expensive - $5 for coke etc but once you get your bearings you can shop around, find local food etc.
All in all a great holiday, snorkling was best we found around "Fruits of Rarotonga". Captain Tama's was a good day out too.
All in all a great holiday.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Glendale, California
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We had a wonderful stay at the Sunrise Bungalows. We stayed there for 5 days, and enjoyed every day. The accommodations were exactly as advertised, with no disappointments. Caryn picked us up at the airport, and gave us a brief tour of the island to orient us, and provided many helpful pieces of advice (oh, and breakfast the next day). The location is convenient, and the service was excellent. Simple, relaxing, hospitable, and private. Highly recommended! We will return!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Waitakere, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 1 October 2013

My husband and i stayed with Sunrise in Aug 2013, we had a fantastic time, caryn was sooo helpful.
We stayed in a garden bungalow which was lovely and clean,and we had a great time also met some other nice people staying there.
We intend to go back next year.
gael

Room Tip: there are bech front available which are very nice but we preferred the garden as it was nice and pe...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I have just back to New Zealand after spending 8 days at the Sunrise Bungalows. I was extremely impressed by the treatment of myself and my travel buddies by the owner, Caryn. Caryn has a huge heart and a vey kind disposition. Just the sort of person to look after your needs while on holiday. She made our stay as hassle free as she could possibly make it. Nothing was too much of a bother and she always had time for a chat or to advise us on what to do in Rarotonga. Honest and reliable Caryn made our stay, magic. I thoroughly recommend staying at Sunrise Bungalows. There is a shop just down the road to pick up supplies and is not far away from some very good restaurants. I will be coming back to stay. I am looking forward to it very much. Thank you Caryn.

Room Tip: The beach view bungalows have a fantastic view of the ocean.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Coulnt ask for anything more. We got welcomed at the airport and treated with the up most resept Caryn goes above and beond. I highly recommend this place and carnt wait to get back next year. Thank you to Caryn for ALL your help, nothing was a problem and we are greatful see you in March :)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
pisa
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Booked this hotel for my honeymoon, i thought it was a good place to stay for location, near muri beach, and the price, very cheap for the area and for rarotonga in general.
I booked directly with the owner months before arrival, i pay 100 NZ$, one night deposit to guarantee everything and i wrote to the owner 1 week before my departure to be sure that everything was ok with my reservation and she told me YES! i organize like this: we arrived to rarotonga, one night there, next day to aitutaki island and we go back to this same place at the end, before departure until french polynesia.
When we arrived to the small airport of rarotonga she was waiting for us, everything was perfect, but in the car, while we were going to the bungalow, she told me that normally she was very organized but this time no, she was in wrong, she was booked more bungalow and i don't have my bungalow for this night!!! This is my honeymoon, please, i said to her, don't ruin my first stay in cook island please.
So, she told me that everything will be fine, because she reserved another hotel for us, no matters if it cost more, she put the difference, to apologize. this is what she told me.
Well, i was happy that everything was fine, she took the the saturday market in the main city, and we went back to her property in the afternoon. She drove us to the hotel that she reserved for my honeymoon: a dirty and disgusting place near avarua; horrible!!!! she told me that this is the only place that she can find, because everything was full.

Just because i was very very angry with her ad i didn't trust her anymore, we went out from this dirty place, until the centre, i called with public telephone another hotel and it had another available room for us, we spent a lot but it doesnt' matter, nobody can destroy my honeymoon.
we've been to this hotel and stay very well. i was very very disappointed with the owner of sunrise bungalow, also because i'm not believe that she try to solve the situation, this is what i think.
Next day we had the flight to aitutaki island, she offers her help to apology again, she told me that in the morning she took us to muri beach, then she bring us to the airport. I accepted this time but she've never arrived to the hotel to bring us to muri and the airport. I took a taxi, 20 NZD, but it doesn't matters again.
It was the first and i hope the lonely time that i had an horrible experience in one hotel, many years of travelling and it was the worst experience that i have ever had with an owner , i don't know why, but she really was bad with us!!!!!
The problem was that we had to sleep again in this property after aitutaki.. the owner wasn't here, she was in NZ and everything was fine this second time.
They brang us to the room, the room was very nice, just in front to the ocean, to apologize for the bad experience, in the fridge milk, marmelade for breakfast and a bootle of wine to apologize again but i can't excuse what this happened, i'm sorry but i only put 1 star rank to this hotel and i've never go there again even if the room is very nice, the kitchen is fully equipped and we are near muri beach ( 3 km walking)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple