“Clean, Comfortable, and Well Situated” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Reluctant Fisherman Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cordova
Reluctant Fisherman Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Cordova
Dorset, Vermont
“Clean, Comfortable, and Well Situated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

I had a nice stay at the inn. The room was clean and comfortable, and the inn is located within walking distance of the harbor and downtown.

Like many things in Alaska, I thought the room rate was a bit high for what you get. The inn is basically a semi-renovated 70s era motel.

The staff at the inn needs to update the informational booklets in the rooms. The booklet in my room had documents dating back to 2008 in it. Most annoying was that the Wifi password in the booklet had long since expired, and I couldn't get on the internet. The desk was not staffed after hours, so I couldn't get the updated password until the next morning. I later saw that the desk person had written the new password on the back of a card during check-in, but I hadn't noticed it.

The inn is probably the best place to stay in Cordova, so if I ever return to town, I will probably stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Greg0ry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

Nice restaurant - good ambience, great views and good food. They even have a pool table and outdoor seating. I went the hoping to eat some fresh Copper River King Salmon as the Copper River river passes through their town. However, I was told that all the catch is sold elsewhere as it fetches better prices there. So, we had some shell fish dishes where the ingredients were not locally sourced. Bread pudding with wild berries was ok, but very pricy at $16 (for a 3 person serving).

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Sylvia L, Owner at Reluctant Fisherman Inn, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Thank you for the kind review. The restaurant frequently features Copper River Salmon. All five specie of Pacific Salmon are caught near Cordova and processed here; right next door to our hotel, actually. We are proud fans of the best Salmon in the World :) It is unfortunate you received an inaccurate response from your server. Each salmon specie has its own season, and you may have visited during a "lull". During the summer we can usually obtain fresh salmon daily, and when not in season, we can still provide excellent fresh, frozen salmon. Especially the premium Copper River Sockeye, which holds its freshness and taste value well if properly vacuum sealed and frozen.
Palisade, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

The Reluctant Fisherman is a long time establishment located in the harbor of Cordova, Alaska. The restaurant is fantastic and it has lots of windows so you can watch the weather, the action at the harbor and the wildlife that is non-stop. Admittedly, I have not stayed in one of their rooms but have eaten there many times and think it's wonderful.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Janai64
Cordova, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

The reluctant fisherman is a nice hotel for Cordova. My fiancé and I live and work at one of the local canneries during fishing season, so a night away from the cannery is always a treat! We had a comfy bed, a nice clean bathroom and shower, flat-screen tv, and deck overlooking the harbor right off our room. It was snowy, so we didn't use the deck, but we did put our bottle of wine out there to chill while we ate dinner at the Reluctant-foods amazing there btw...
for a stay in March, the price couldn't be beat-under $150 for a Saturday night :)

Room Tip: overlooking the harbor, if its a nice clear night, you won't regret it, sunsets are gorgeous fro...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marina J
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

We stayed at the Reluctant Fisherman in September 2012. Our room was basic, but comfortable. Definitely lower on the thrills, but it did the job. The location is good, it's a 5 minute walk to the main street in town. The staff were friendly and they had a lot of information posted about the ferrys.
Now the restaurant. The desert is the biggest desert I have had in my whole life! My wife and I took two attempts to finish it. Our main course was also nice, a bit more realistic in the portion sizes. Again the employees were nice and friendly and were happy to cater to our needs. The drinks selection was also wide, they had plenty of beer, wine, spirits, soft drinks to choose from.
The crowning glory is really the view from the restaurant outside. It's truly spectacular. You can see the sunset over the mountains and the bay. If you are lucky, you will see fisherman coming home or heading out to work on their boats.
Good memories.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 97133620
Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2012

The view of the small boat harbor from our room was fantastic, with a sea otter and two seals frequently playing in the water just below us. It was clean and quiet, and the staff members were courteous and very helpful. We loved lounging on the deck and enjoyed the food in the restaurant immensely! It was an easy walk to see everything in town. We would love to return to Cordova and enjoy The Reluctant again!

Room Tip: Do reserve a harbor view room!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ann M
Seattle, Washington, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2012

I travel extensively for work and when I can, I stay almost exclusively at Starwood hotels (Sheraton, W, etc). So I like nice hotels. However, I also cover Alaska for work and you have to understand Alaska when traveling here. I imagine if you are coming to Cordova you are either here for work or for fishing. The Reluctant is about the only reputable hotel establishment in town and it is good. This is Cordova so don't go in expecting the Four Seasons and you'll be great. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this hotel. Is it a 5 star hotel, no. But is it safe, comfortable, and clean, absolutely yes. The beds are not the most comfortable in the world and the rooms can be a little dark (lack of bright overhead lighting) but the staff was nice and accommodating and definitely helped this very much out of place guest. The restaurant and bar next door is also great and the view of the harbor - if visible - is pretty awesome.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank Chad D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cordova
Alaska Copper River B&B
Alaska Copper River B&B
#1 of 5 in Glennallen

Been to Reluctant Fisherman Inn? Share your experiences!