“Just reneted kayaks for a day, excellent experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cordova
Orca Adventure Lodge
Rochester, Minnesota
“Just reneted kayaks for a day, excellent experience”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I recently spent a long weekend in Cordova with a friend. We already had plans to sleep elsewhere, but we were looking for a place to rent kayaks for the day. Brian at the Orca Adventure Lodge was incredibly helpful when I called on the phone early in the week, and when we arrived to get kayaks everyone we met was helpful, friendly, and low key. I've been places where after signing ten pages of waivers the staff makes you feel like an idiot and that their biggest concern is their gear. Everyone at Orca Adventure Lodge seemed genuinely concerned with making sure we felt comfortable, had an enjoyable time and they even pointed us in the direction of specific birds and wildlife we wanted to experience. They have all necessary equipment, good quality, and kayak rentals were very affordable.
If you are heading to Cordova, make a stop out at Orca Adventure Lodge if not to stay overnight, at least to enjoy their great inlet view and friendly help!
If you want a feel for the relaxation of the place, this is the view and sounds that I fell asleep to while lounging on the deck there! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKJmcXHGL38

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank jrhfood

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

The Orca Adventure Lodge in Cordova is phenomenal. I was born and raised in Alaska and travel all over the state for work. This lodge is as close as you can come to the true Alaskan experience. There is nothing fancy about it- kind of like Alaska itself. The rooms are very basic and definitely not "luxury", but if it was, I probably wouldn't call it a "true Alaskan experience". I only got to stay one night, but will be back to Cordova for work a couple times a year and will stay here. You can wander the halls and read all about the cannery. They have old historical papers and all sorts of neat history hanging on the walls. The view from all of the rooms is out of this world. This feels like a working place where nothing is placed for our benefit (nothing is fake about it) but provides incredible photo opportunities around every corner. I would like to bring my husband here for a romantic getaway. There is a big fire pit and kayaks you can use plus I imagine numerable other adventures you can set up. The lodge is out of town enough to truly feel secluded (it's at the end of the road!) but close enough to town to be convenient. The only cons I can think of would be that there are no screens on the windows. I had an issue with mosquitoes until I figured out my window was cracked open at the top-like the window and slid down- I couldn't figure out how all the mosquitoes were getting in because I kept checking the window and it was closed- at the bottom! Look up and make sure your window is sealed at the top- I noticed several other windows when looking at the building from the outside were also open at the top and I imagine the folks staying in those rooms were eaten alive. Also, there are no blackout shades- as an Alaskan, this does not bother me, I don't have blackout shades at home- but I can imagine that a tourist may find it hard to sleep with the light. All of the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. I just can't say enough positive about this place. I went on a run in the early morning down the highway (not much of a shoulder- but very little traffic and what traffic there was definitely slowed down and moved over for me- people in Cordova are very friendly) and saw lots of wildlife including sea otters and eagles. You will not be disappointed if you stay at the Orca Adventure Lodge!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Youwinsome
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Brilliant place to stay. First thing to mention is the incredible friendliness of the staff - only too happy to help with anything and there was a really friendly vibe about the place. Room was comfortable and clean, and we were fortunate to get upgraded too :-)

Food was great, home-cooked. Really nice touch to have homemade cookies, coffee and soft drinks available throughout the day.

Only negative was the intermittent wifi - having paid for internet access it was frustrating that it often didn't work. However, there was a public computer in the lobby, and if I hadn't been there on business this wouldn't have been a problem at all. All the other positives and of course the fantastic views more than made up for this though!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Emma H
Idaho
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Absolutely stunning location at funky cannery site. Beautiful 3 mile walk into town along ocean front road, with views of sea otters, etc. the entire way. Great food at the lodge, wicked sauna, and best place to see the Northern Lights. Great kayaking as well. I was there for Points North Heli Skiing adventure.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank privateidahoho
Palos Heights, Illinois
Reviewed 29 March 2014

It's easy to recommend Orca Adventure Lodge in scenic Cordova, Alaska. Located a little bit out of town, Orca Adventure Lodge is a perfect place from which to base one's exploration of Cordova and environs. Due to the lodge's location, a rental car is recommended.

My husband and I stayed in the newer lodge accommodations located in a building separate from the main lodge. Our room was large with a sitting area with coffee table and comfy seating, private bath (no bathtub but there was a shower), a desk and chair plus a comfortable bed. The rooms are simply furnished and clean. A long wooden covered porch stretches in front of the new wing's accommodations with bench seating along the railing. Views from the room and porch of snowcapped mountains across the water are superb. Old wooden pilings still stick out of the water in front of the lodge property; bald eagles frequently rest on the pilings for bird's eye views. Sunset watchers will be rewarded on clear evenings. I admit I had a difficult time leaving this gorgeous piece of heaven!

A restaurant is on premises as well. During our stay during the extraordinary May bird migration spectacle the restaurant offered very good meals for breakfast and dinner. My husband and I were very pleased with the tasty, filling fare in the restaurant! Be sure to check if the restaurant is offering service during your stay. Also, it's a good idea to let the restaurant know if you will be dining with them for meals. Sometimes we dined in town but as a courtesy we would let the restaurant staff know our plans in advance so as not to keep them waiting for us. During our May stay the restaurant put out a spread of pack lunch items at breakfast so one could make a sandwich to one's order. Chips, fruit, beverages and sweets were also available. Once again, be certain to ask if this is available during your stay. The staff were courteous and friendly at all times.

A huge plus is that a coin operated washer/dryer is located in the newer wing. Whether on the road for weeks, groveling in the dirt while photographing wildlife or fishing, having the convenience of a washer and dryer on hand is wonderful.

The owner is a pleasant fellow. Ask him about booking a flyover of the spectacular Copper River delta. There is so much to do in and around Cordova! We found photographic opportunities for wildlife were very good when driving out the highway from Cordova. Our stay comprised a week but we could easily have remained for a longer period of time.

Wifi was available during our stay at Orca Adventure Lodge. I had to sign up online with the local Internet operator for a fee. It worked pretty well considering the lodge is located out of town.

For our next visit to Cordova, a stay at Orca Adventure Lodge definitely will be on our itinerary.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Whalegeek
Healy, Alaska
Reviewed 24 September 2013

The Orca Adventure Lodge was the perfect base-camp for our week-long fishing trip, completely exceeding my expectations. Although it is rustic, Alaska style accommodations, it was very comfortable, clean, and met all our needs. After a long wonderful day of fishing (mostly in the rain), it was so nice to come "home" to a hot shower, a hearty meal and a comfortable bed. We had a room with a shared covered porch overlooking the ocean, with fantastic views of the sunsets, sea otters floating in the bay, eagles perched on the old cannery pilings, and salmon seiners cruising by. The staff was super friendly, helpful and accommodating. If we weren't getting up early to fish, along with everyone else in our building, it would be difficult to sleep past 6:30 am, due to the creeks and moans of the floorboards in the room above us, and opening/closing of doors in the rooms around us. It is an old cannery building and we stayed in the oldest part of the lodge; perhaps in the newer section it may be quieter in the morning. The lodge is located 2 miles from the ferry terminal and maybe 4 miles from town so it was helpful to have a vehicle, although the lodge did have a shuttle. My husband planned this trip and I wasn't sure what to expect for lodging, but I completely enjoyed staying here and would do it again; it was perfect!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Mililani, Hawaii
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I've been going to Orca Adventure Lodge for the past 3 years and it is a great place to stay if you are into river fishing for silver salmon with both fly rod and spinner. The lodge offers self guided fishing on the Ibek Creek and guided fishing on the Eyak river. Both within a 15 to 20 minutes drive from the lodge. The accomodations are very basic but very clean. Daily maid service helps keep your room tidy everyday. The staff at Orca are very friendly and hard working. The lodge offers a great breakfast and lunch. However, it's the evening meals that blow me away. The current Chef at Orca is fantastic. Just talking with him I can tell that he is very passionate about the food he serves. This lodge is built on an old cannery and has a very rustic feel to it. What more can a fisherman ask for? Close proximity to the fishing grounds, very basic but clean rooms with private bath, 3 great meals a day, and one of the hottest silver salmon runs I've seen in the great State of Alaska.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Been to Orca Adventure Lodge? Share your experiences!