“An adventure”

158 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 258 helpful votes
“An adventure”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

However much of the Alaska highway you do it will be an adventure. Yes in parts the road is bad. At one point we had over 80 miles of roadworks driving on grit. There is a long section before Beever Creek in Yukon. Take it slow and be careful and you will enjoy lots of fab scenery along the way. Twice in one day we saw bears by the side of the road eating. Lots of lakes and walks to do. Also places to fill up with gas and get a coffee.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Barry and Nicol... G

Tok, Alaska, United States
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Only way to go”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I live in Tok so I drive through here all the time. The highway is an adventure take your time and look around when you are driving you will always see something new.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Cherish L
Church Hill, Tennessee
97 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“We took the trip by Coach, you can also drive Alaska Highway by car or motorhome.”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We was on a coach that I thought was not going to end. We stopped at plenty of sights, drops, all the cities in between, Caracross, Tok, Delta Junction, North Pole, The Community Center for bag lunch, saw a beautiful black grizzly bear just by the road. The drive narriated every inch of the highway and it's history. She is very knowledgable of that stretch of road *Lisa* and rattled on and on. At times I found myself asleep. I heard the word Perma Frost about 60 plus times. I had never heard of it before so learned a lot about the area. We stopped to make photos at a Lake. I want to say Chenna but I think I'm wrong on that name. We was allowed to pick up small rocks which in that area is precious stone like granite, slate, etc. Yes, there was pot holes but hey I live in Tennessee, I grew up with pot holes and wrecking my bike hiting them. The view and history should be first on your mind and forget the potholes. Use the coach bathroom, it is better than the drop, trust me. Eeeeeek. Would prefer driving my own vehicle on the stretch of road I believe.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Jamie T
Fallon, Nevada
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“SALUTE to our VETERANS...............”
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Just would like to SALUTE THE VETERANS(U.S) on their Trek thru the Wilderness of Alaska and Canada to make this road possible!! I had the Honor to make this Journey from the Start(Dawson Creek) to the Finish(Delta Junction),And WOW,It is REALLY a Feat to Behold!! Me and Schell and my Wooo's had NEVER Experienced Such a Road like this one! You REALLY need to Experience this ALCAN Highway to really FEEL the JUJU about this road!! It made me understand just what it took to Accomplish this feat!! Have a GREAT Journey, Underway1976.............

Visited July 2013
Texas
122 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 243 helpful votes
“Beautiful and Not A Bad Road”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

The Alaska or Alaskan or Alaska-Canada Highway or ALCAN -- all the same runs from Dawson Creek in British Columbia, Canada and Delta Junction in Alaska. Most folks think of Tok, Alaska as their arrival point when traveling from the "lower 48" to Alaska. It has a reputation as being a very bad road with few services. In fact, the road is not too bad and there are lots of services along the way. The road is rough in spots and there is always construction but the only really rough spots we found when we drove it in a motorhome in May was in the Yukon territory near Alaska, and even that is not too bad if you take it slow. We had no problem finding services in May, but it is always a good idea to fill up whenever the opportunity presents itself. You will find gas is expensive in the more remote places. We saw more wildlife along the ALCAN highway than we saw in Alaska, so keep a camera handy.

Visited May 2013