“Stayed at the Grand many times, always satisified” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Aleutian Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dutch Harbor
Grand Aleutian Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Dutch Harbor
Port Townsend, Washington
“Stayed at the Grand many times, always satisified”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

While I was working in the Bering sometimes I'd rotate out from the vessel and head to the Grand until my flight home the next day. Stays ranged a few days to a week, depending on weather or when Mt Redoubt was spewing ash a while back).

Flying into Dutch can take a while at times-you might stop at Cold Bay or King Salmon for fuel or until the pilots are cleared for take off. And nothing compares to the flight into Tom Madsen...it can become hairy at times if you're a newbie and the Williwas are starting to crank up in the Winter.

Rooms were adequate, beds for the most part were comfortable. Clean bathrooms, good heating and I always tried to get a room with a water view, like the water sounds while I sleep.
The lounge can be nuts at times which adds to the coolness factor of this property. Good drinks and pub food.

Lobby featured chairs and couches, and the fireplace takes the chill off when the Winter winds start blowing. Front desk staff are always friendly. Shuttle service from the airport, and the Island's many taxi cab drivers were always prompt.

You're next to a Carrs, and a adjacent liquor store but be ready for sticker shock if you've never been there before. From what I've experienced traveling around that's the norm when you land on an island. You have to pay for the shipping.
Great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Timothy W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
King Salmon, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

We recently spent 3 nights in Dutch harbor Alaska on a combo Family and Business trip, The front desk staff was very helpful and courteous , The hotel is the best in dutch Harbor and has a great central location with stores and the ocean within walking distance. It is a very well used and the rooms run at a very high occupancy rate, The food was exceptional in the buffet and the Capt Quarters restaurant upstairs. Was what i expected in this remote area. Kudos to the ladies and gents at the front desk. In the real world it will be due for some room upgrades soon. But I was glad to be there and not the only other option for housing in Unalaska. The Beds are way too hard for me and i didnt sleep so well but they were clean and warm and modern.

Thanks Charlie & Sam

Room Tip: I think they are all the same i stayed on the 3rd floor,
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Bearwatcher1
Spokane, Wa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2012

I won a trip to Dutch and stayed at the Grand. The first room was pretty good; very clean with a great shower. The bed was a little too hard for me though. The second night, we had to move to a different room. This room had much more comfortable beds but there was no heat, the hairdryer shorted out on me and the tub backed up on the second person that took a shower. There was about 6 inches of standing water by the time she was done.

The staff was great though and found us the second night's accomodations when weather forced us to stay another night. Seems like everyone else wanted a room too. They handled everything calmly and made us comfortable. Maybe it helped that we were with a group that had a little clout, but still, they made it bearable.

We also ate in the restaurant upstairs. We had the seafood buffet one night and a fantastic meal the next. Loved the buffet and could have stuffed my pockets with the smoked salmon if they'd let me.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank dennymas
Leesburg, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

After the four hour turbo-prop plane ride with two fuel stops en route Dutch Harbor from Anchorage I was ready for a late supper and good night's sleep. Got both at the Grand Aleutian Hotel. Although I arrived 15 minutes before the restaurant closed at 10 p.m. I was graciously accomodated. I highly recommend the Black Cod which is served with an Asian theme.
Considering the remote location I was surprised at the level of service, cleanliness, and comfort of my room. It was better than the Best Westerns I stayed at in Valdez and Kodiak on this trip. There really is no other place to stay in Unalaska / Dutch Harbor, but you should look forward to a reasonably comfortable place with good food here.
While I didn't stay there, but did see it, do not consider the Unisea Inn as anything remotely comparable. It's a dormatory-style place accomodating seafood packing plant employees. The plant is directly across the street and is ripe with fish smells. I would recommend hanging out at the Grand Aleutian hoping for a cancellation--which exactly is what a couple was doing when I checked in. My flight was the last of the day and I know a couple of people missed the flight. So, their chances were good that they got a room at the Grand.
P.S.--If you do go to Dutch Harbor I hope for weather as good as I enjoyed. Spectacular sunny day; about 65 degrees.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank JES_Leesburg
rehovot
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

We spent the night of Saturday June 30th 2012 in Grand Aleutian hotel after a 5 days tour by the ferry from Homer Alaska.
the hotel was beautiful, the staff were friendly and helpfull helping us locate our suitcase lost by United Airlines 6 days earlier. The food was great especially the Sunday buffet.
Rooms were large quiet and clean-that all we needed.
A good place to stop at rhe Aleutians
Sakal Fam.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ednasa
Alaska
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

Stayed July 16-19. My trip to King Salmon last month had much better lodging.
Mind you I spend six to eight weeks traveling in bush Alaska every year.
The 75' by 1' HOLE FULL OF WATER in the parking lot is representative of the hotel.
If they will not take care of the front yard, I sure wont eat anything that is prepared in the back room. The overall cleanliness of the is lacking. My shower did not drain worth a hoot, and I just love standing in ankle deep water during my shower. I do not fault them for no flat screen, but what is it with horizontal green lines in the top 25% of the screen. Don't worry you can surf the internet for $6.95 an hour. No free connections in the hotel. I left the place thinking that one of the board members should stay there a few nights. Normally the staff can lift my spirits by giving great service. Well that did not happen. Hope I never stay their again.....
Oh the room doors. They have heavy springs, hardly anyone shuts them with restraint. BANGING IN THE NIGHT really helps you sleep in as I was constantly awakened.

Room Tip: I joke the swimming pool is the big mudhole in the main parking lot.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank levergun
Ashland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

The Grand Aleutian has a grand rustic lobby in the style of old Park Service lodges, with soaring ceiling and fireplace, nice seating. The room was generous sized with a spectacular view of birds and water. Like aksasquatch reviewed here, the takeaway memory is of the most fabulous seafood brunch buffet. The chef and crew pull off a delicious and beautiful feast, complete with a grand ice sculpture. We stayed here two or three nights in January, waiting for the Goose to fly us to the island of Akutan. this was a once in a lifetime treat. Only complaint: We only had two worn hand towels in the bathroom, no bath towels.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Been to Grand Aleutian Hotel? Share your experiences!