“Excitement and relaxation in gorgeous Alaska”

Alaska Backcountry Access LLC
and up
Girdwood Canyoneering Adventure
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Alaska Backcountry Access is a multi-sport adventure company dedicated to providing unique adventure activities in the Chugach National Forest and around Alaska. Access to the remote lakes, glaciers, waterfalls, rivers and trails is key to exploring the mountains surrounding this remarkable glaciated area. Finding the real Alaska is difficult so let the guides at Alaska Backcountry Access share their backyard with you. Get away from the crowds, off the beaten path and into world class backcountry adventure! Specializing in jetboating, canyoneering, rafting, gold panning, hiking, kayaking, ski trekking, snowshoeing, sled dog mushing, Iditarod and snowmobiling.
Reviewed 15 July 2012

While staying at the Alyeska Resort, my family booked Andy to take us on a jet boat trip up the Twenty Mile River and kayaking on Lake Carmen. I loved the pictures on his website and just knew it would be a great addition to our Alaskan vacation. I was right!

My dad (65), sister-in-law (34 and pregnant), husband and I (we're 38) went on the trip and Andy brought along a friend/assistant. He picked us up at Alyeksa and it was a short trip to launch the jet boat on the river. From there, we took a thrilling ride up the river. Having never been in a jet boat before, we were amazed how fast we could go (up to 35 mph) in water only a few feet deep. Along the way, we saw beaver lodges, eagles and moose. Andy did a few spins for us, too - which was SO much fun.

Once we reached Lake Carmen, the pace slowed down and we were in awe of the majestic beauty of the clear lake and surrounding mountains. As my picture shows, the lake mirrors the gorgeous mountains above and creates a beautiful view! There was lots of pure white snow to play in while Andy pulled out the individual kayaks he had stowed there. We had some snacks and water he brought, then headed off to kayak around the lake at our leisure. We all had a great time, paddling along the shore seeing nesting ducks and the checking out the convergence of the river and ice melt near the mountains. We had the lake all to ourselves and it was one of our favorite experiences of the trip!

I highly recommend the experience for anyone looking to get off the beaten path and see more of AK's wild beauty. The jet boat/kayak trip is suitable for people of all ages and fitness levels. We loved it and you will too!

Reviewed 28 March 2012

My 18 year old son and I spent and entire afternoon with Andy. Andy was wonderful. Not your typical "tour." My son was so reluctant when he heard the word "tour." At the age of 18 they want to make their own way, so to speak. Andy accommodated that and then some. Our son had a trip of a lifetime and Andy wore him out! That's a good thing! When all was said and done our son admitted that he was glad Andy was along. We were taken to two ice caves and the face of two glaciers. If I ever have the opportunity to visit Alaska again I will be sure to look Andy up for another of his excursions. He is willing to cater to whatever your ability is.

Reviewed 30 September 2011

After a 2 week trip of a lifetime riding motorcycles to Prudhoe Bay and then down into the Yukon and back, we took the 3 hour Jet boat tour of a lifetime before we returned to England, this is serious stuff no touristy gimmics here, Iv'e done the Shotover Jet in New Zealand and it was brilliant, but the 20 Mile River with Andy as your driver you are in for some serious thrills

3  Thank stanford44
Reviewed 14 August 2011

My wife and I took a trip down the Twenty Mile River on the Jetboat owned by this company. The trip was literally the two of us with the owner, Andy, and we weaved down the river all the way to Carmen Lake. Once at the lake, Andy pulled a few kayaks out of the bushes and we were off kayaking around the lake. We were 20 miles from the nearest road, and there was no one on the lake but the three of us. Mountains surround the lake and you can see several waterfalls coming down on all sides. My understanding is that even many locals don't know this lake exists, and those that know it exists have never been there because it's generally inaccessible due to low water levels at parts of the river. Andy's jetboat is one of only a few that has the ability to get all the way to the lake. Definitely worth the trip!

1  Thank tshell01
Reviewed 28 October 2010

This was the best recommended tour of our entire Alaska cruise vacation. Owner Andy took us up river on the jet boat and we were overwhelmed when we came up close to the blue icebergs and the face of the glaciers. His company is one of the only ones that have permits to enter that area. Our entire extended family of eleven all agreed that this was our favorite tour.

2  Thank mnm3