“Spectacular Jet Boat Ride”

Alaska Backcountry Access LLC
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Alaska Backcountry Access is a multi-sport adventure company dedicated to providing unique adventure activities in the Chugach National Forest and around Alaska. Access to the remote lakes, glaciers, waterfalls, rivers and trails is key to exploring the mountains surrounding this remarkable glaciated area. Finding the real Alaska is difficult so let the guides at Alaska Backcountry Access share their backyard with you. Get away from the crowds, off the beaten path and into world class backcountry adventure! Specializing in jetboating, canyoneering, rafting, gold panning, hiking, kayaking, ski trekking, snowshoeing, sled dog mushing, Iditarod and snowmobiling.
Petaluma, California
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Spectacular Jet Boat Ride”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We went on the 20 mile jet boat ride and it was spectacular. We went up about three different rivers. A trip up one river arrived at a beautiful lake that was surrounded by mountains and was fed by a glacier. Zooming across the water early in the morning was spectacular and the water was as still as glass. Going up another river, we had to dodge small icebergs and found a number of large icebergs floating in the lake that fed that river. The scenery throughout the trip was amazing and the ride was exciting. We were going well over 25 mph up white-water rivers that were less than a foot deep for large stretches.

Andy was an excellent host and driver for the trip. We got talking to him and found him to have a great heart for people. I would trust any of my friends to Backcountry on this trip. Just dress warmly because you are going to want to be impersonating a dog looking out the window of a pickup - and the air is moving fast! Dress warm and enjoy!!

Visited August 2013

“Andy is the man!”
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

We was in Alaska searching for something to do and Andy helped us and supported us a lot.
He gave us all options and guided us in a incredible hiking to the glaciers.
I recommend 100%

Tennessee
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“water was fun”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We did the gold panning and rafting with Ashley and Opie. They were great fun and helpful. Nice hike to the creek with lots of info on the old mine co. We injoyed the rafting. Its a good run for kids and beginners. Thanks guys

Visited September 2013
Brisbane, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Gold panning, white water rafting”
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We booked a package with akback.com the owner and assistants were extremely competent informative, they gave us an amazing adventure one we would never forget.

Visited June 2013
Los Angeles
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Cancelled last minute due to boat repairs....”
Reviewed 11 June 2013

I contacted Andy at Backcountry Access to get information. I told him I found out about his business on tripadvisor. He told me that the only not so good tripadvisor reviews came from people who didn’t go and typically they tried to use a Northern Lights 2-for-1 coupon. He told me that he only would accept a Northern Lights coupon if there were other paying passengers on the trip – as in he wouldn’t just go out for a Northern Lights passenger only. He stated that he no longer was doing Northern Lights as it caused issues. Perhaps he meant he didn’t renew with Northern Lights but in the current book I just bought (June 2013) his coupons are still good through October of this year.

I booked my jetboat tour for June 7, 2013 with him and subsequently bought a Northern Lights book but did not ask him to use the coupon as I had already booked. I gave him my credit card number which he told me he would charge a 20% deposit. I kept looking at my credit card and never saw the deposit come through so I figured he just told people that to ensure they show up and if they don’t show then charge the deposit.

My party was to meet Andy on June 7 for a 1:00 tour at the Hotel Alyeska in Girdwood. We arrived at 12:45 PM and I called Andy to let him know we were there. We were staying in Anchorage and Girdwood is almost an hour away. I got him on the phone and he tells me that he was just about to call me as his boat broke down and we would not be able to go out. He says I didn’t charge the deposit so there is nothing to refund and apologized. I was a bit stunned as we were almost at pickup time and he is just looking for my number. But I gave him the benefit of the doubt and told him we really wanted to do the tour and could he call me the next day if the boat was running. Now I realize he’s stressed out as he just had a large expense come his way but I felt like he took a bit of it out on me. He got testy with me and tells me that he is the owner who has to do everything and he basically didn’t have time to call me. However, he would try and text me. At that point, I decided to make other plans as I was no longer interested in spending $159 per person for each of the three of us with someone who just got testy with me that I was trying to be understanding to.

Andy texted me the next day saying he could take us out at 1:30 but at this point we all had other plans and declined his offer. I would have thought that he would have at least offered me a discount to go out the next day (which he did not) given that we drove almost an hour to be told at the last minute that the boat was under repair. My sense is that the tour is most likely very good if everything goes according to plan but that Andy needs to understand how to handle situations better when things go awry.

Visited June 2013
AKBackcountryAccess, Owner at Alaska Backcountry Access LLC, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Once again folks, please give us the benefit of the doubt and read reviews of those who actually participated on one of our tours. You will be hard pressed to find a guide service that offers as exciting adventures on a small scale with such a personal touch! Yes we are real Alaskan guides who deal with the real struggles of adventuring in the backcountry so you can be our guests and enjoy the ride.

We are also one of the only jetboat tour operators who guide on the Twentymile River which is an incredibly difficult permit to obtain and maintain with the Chugach National Forest on this wild and scenic river. The commercial capacity on the Twentymile is limited to protect the wilderness values, which means that you will be one of about 800 folks a year that will experience this magical area. These capacity limits also limit the size of our operation, please read into this that you will likely be communicating with the owner who handles all aspects of the operation including mechanical issues with our boats. Honestly, I can say in our 8 years of operating on the Twentymile breakdowns have been minimal!

Yes we run our jetboat motors at their limits on a daily basis to navigate the Twentymile River. This client seemed to understand our breakdown but felt compelled to leverage us while we were having a bad day. Believe me loosing a $7000 boat motor is no fun, what makes it worse is someone who uses the power of the web to try to manipulate us and make the pain a little worse. To clarify, we stopped offering tours in the tour saver book this year (as in no longer in there) we are in the 2013 NLCB and will gladly accept them in 2013 but because of this review we will not renew our contract in 2014, sorry folks.

In case any of you are wondering the ‘testy’ situation that this client mentioned went something like this: On our morning departure within a mile of the boat ramp our motor had a catastrophic failure, when we returned I immediately called the guests scheduled on the next tour, she literally called me as I was calling her. I apologized for the breakdown… then a few minutes later texted her that we would be working all night (which we did) to get a new engine installed which she replied “Any chance for tomorrow?” yes, I did just text you to let you know that…then the phone call two seconds later, so we can go tomorrow? Yes mam if all goes well tonight, just like I texted you… her: call me at 10 AM, me: its going to be a long night and I have a tour at 9:30 so I will not be able to call you, please just keep in touch. Folks this is what made me ‘testy’.

We rocked the project, got a brand new motor installed, still got sleep and took 12 VERY happy guests out on the river the next day, I checked back with this client at 9:20 AM after breaking the motor in that morning and seeing lots of moose and eagles. Apologizing again we offered to take them out at 1:30 PM, believe me it is all good that they did not then want to go because I was ‘testy’ and had a bad day on June 7th. June 8th was the best day of our summer so far, big high 5’s within our crew :)! Please understand we are working our butts off to show you the best time of your lives, again see the reviews of those who took our tours but if you push our buttons too hard when we are having a bad day and you know it, you might get a reaction from us, for this I once again apologize.

Take care,