“Good Memories”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Crow Creek Mine

Crow Creek Mine
Ranked #9 of 33 things to do in Girdwood
More attraction details
Owner description: Crow Creek Mine is a family owned and operated Historical and Recreational Gold Mine. Nestled in a very beautiful mountain setting, Crow Creek Mine offers the oldest buildings in the Anchorage area, 1898, as well as some of the most popular recreational Gold Mining in all of Alaska. You will find everyone from your first time miner just hoping for a few flecks, up to actual gold miners who have been working these grounds on a very serious level. For those not intersted in the panning or sluicing experience, the property is very scenic for pictures and is a very popular wedding destination, it is even fun to just sit and watch some of the more experienced crews of miners as they work. While most visitors coming in for sightseeing or panning don't need reservations, we do offer private guided tours for those of you wanting a bit more out of your experience. Not only do you learn more about the property and gold in general, but the gold mining experience of our staff and knowledge of the property is always a big help in having a succesful outing!!! Feel free to contact us for any questions regarding our business or the Girdwood area in general. Girdwood makes for great day trips from anchorage and is on the way for anyone headed to Portage, Seward, Kenai, or Homer. Our road is a bit bumpy and unmaintained between October and May, but come June 1st every year the state does a great job of fixing it, you can always contact us for road conditions if concerned. Thanks for viewing our business, we look forward to meeting you soon,
Peachtree City, Georgia
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Good Memories”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

Just was putting together a DVD of vacations my family and I took in the past. I came across a video from July 1996 of my then 9 yr old son, and daughters, 12 and 15 years old. We had a memorable time panning in the stream and at the "trough". The most memorable event was when my 12 yr old put up her hand to brush her long hair back, she found a small gold nugget! The video of the experience of each of the three of them was included in a DVD I assembled of our experiences in AK, to the song "Song of Alaska" by JoAnn and Monte, which I subtitled "You've Got To Go". If this is similar now to what we experienced then -- You've Got to Go -- if you enjoy the outdoors! (I didn't visit in July of this year, but the website didn't have a better option.)

Visited July 2013
3 Thank Dennis S

Anchorage, Alaska
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Cool Mine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

This is always a fun activity when your in Girdwood. In the summer it's so green and beautiful in the valley there you should bring your camera and lunch. It's a really cool piece of Alaska history to get to know.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Murrayak
Springfield, Missouri, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“great staff, beautiful location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

sorry that I did not have all day to spend here. Some of the finest and friendliest staff I have met, a tribute to Girdwood.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank Brenda W
San Antonio, Texas
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“One of those things you have to do in Alaska”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

A visit to Crow Creek Mine is a worthwhile experience near Girdwood. Yes, it is a little touristy, but you really can't go to Alaska without having a go at mining some gold. A lot of the opportunities (particularly cruise ship tours) are very expensive. At $10 for a look around and $20 to actually pan for gold (per person), Crow Creek is a relative bargain. First, the road up from Girdwood (about 5 or so miles) is unpaved and somewhat potholed (and probably violated my rental car contract), but it's not that bad and it is scenic. Second, it not a hole-in-the-mountain mine with railroad tracks that you might expect from the movies. The first area you enter has a number of historical buildings, a small pond (with ducks!) and very pretty flowers and landscaping. If you opt for the $20 panning experience, you also get a demonstration of how to use the pan to sift through mud and rocks to find gold. The staff is very friendly and the demo itself is pretty interesting. There are a lot more steps and technique to it than I had expected. Using my demo mud, I found about a half dozen flecks of actual genuine gold. (I sort of suspect the mud was seeded for the tourists, but, hey, I'll take it.) Then they give you a pan and a shovel (and a pick if you like) and send you down a quarter mile path to the creek where you can sift through the shoremud for nuggets. My one complaint is that it's not real clear whereabouts at the creek you ought to dig. I tried about five spots in the pouring rain for about an hour and came up empty -- but I did have an Alaska experience and that's what I came for, not to get rich quick.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank Bryan W
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

The people who operate crow creek mine are so nice & helpful. The mine was actually closed for the winter but they graciously let us stay over night & charged us barely anything to stay there. Thanks Nate & Spencer for helping us have a great camping experience with friends & family! We would highly recommend camping there and hope to camp at Crow Creek Mine for many years to come!

Visited September 2013