“A must see”

and up
Girdwood Canyoneering Adventure
Ranked #10 of 39 things to do in Girdwood
More attraction details
Owner description: Crow Creek Mine is a family owned and operated Historical and Recreational Gold Mine. Nestled in a very beautiful mountain setting, Crow Creek Mine offers the oldest buildings in the Anchorage area, 1898, as well as some of the most popular recreational Gold Mining in all of Alaska. You will find everyone from your first time miner just hoping for a few flecks, up to actual gold miners who have been working these grounds on a very serious level. For those not intersted in the panning or sluicing experience, the property is very scenic for pictures and is a very popular wedding destination, it is even fun to just sit and watch some of the more experienced crews of miners as they work. While most visitors coming in for sightseeing or panning don't need reservations, we do offer private guided tours for those of you wanting a bit more out of your experience. Not only do you learn more about the property and gold in general, but the gold mining experience of our staff and knowledge of the property is always a big help in having a succesful outing!!! Feel free to contact us for any questions regarding our business or the Girdwood area in general. Girdwood makes for great day trips from anchorage and is on the way for anyone headed to Portage, Seward, Kenai, or Homer. Our road is a bit bumpy and unmaintained between October and May, but come June 1st every year the state does a great job of fixing it, you can always contact us for road conditions if concerned. Thanks for viewing our business, we look forward to meeting you soon,
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

I would recommend the Crow Creek Mine to anyone that is traveling in the area. First off the view on the way to the mine is amazing all the way to the property. When we got there we were greeted by the staff and given a demo on how to pan for gold. We headed down to the creek through the old mining town. We got to the creek and did some panning. I even found some gold out of the river. There was a staff member at the creek that was friendly and would give you tips on where to look for gold. The mining town it's self is full of old relics that were brought there and is fascinating to look at and the owner was very nice to talk to. He had some good suggestions on other places to stop and see. I would highly recommend Crow Creek Mine to anyone stop there and have a blast.

1  Thank Muttly R

Reviewed 7 January 2014

This is a nice hike from Alyeska along a beautiful trail. The best parts are the hand tram across one river and a spectacular series of waterfalls on the other smaller river. Beautiful, clear water!

4  Thank Dwight S
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Just was putting together a DVD of vacations my family and I took in the past. I came across a video from July 1996 of my then 9 yr old son, and daughters, 12 and 15 years old. We had a memorable time panning in the stream and at the "trough". The most memorable event was when my 12 yr old put up her hand to brush her long hair back, she found a small gold nugget! The video of the experience of each of the three of them was included in a DVD I assembled of our experiences in AK, to the song "Song of Alaska" by JoAnn and Monte, which I subtitled "You've Got To Go". If this is similar now to what we experienced then -- You've Got to Go -- if you enjoy the outdoors! (I didn't visit in July of this year, but the website didn't have a better option.)

3  Thank Dennis S
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This is always a fun activity when your in Girdwood. In the summer it's so green and beautiful in the valley there you should bring your camera and lunch. It's a really cool piece of Alaska history to get to know.

1  Thank Murrayak
Reviewed 14 October 2013

sorry that I did not have all day to spend here. Some of the finest and friendliest staff I have met, a tribute to Girdwood.

3  Thank Brenda W