“Ghost in need of exorcism ”

Alpine Diner & Bakery
Ranked #1 of 1 Bakeries in Girdwood
Cuisines: American
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Ghost in need of exorcism ”
Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

I think many long time Alaskans still come here to reminisce of the old bakery. It used to be criminal if you were headed south and didn't stop to grab one of the massive sized bear claws or fritters. The people running the show were amazing and a treasure to have in the state. From the old man who would show kids how things in the back worked, to the lady with broken English who was never too busy to offer a welcoming smile. The kids never cared that they could only understand about every fourth word said, they would nosh on broken cookies while glowing in the praise and care of our host and hostess. Most people felt cared for by the owners of the bakery, resident and tourist alike. Half the bakery is gone as Girdwood has taken a flying leap into contemporary times. In it stand a Subway sandwich shop. Not only has the bakery decreased in size, portions of baked goods have drastically decreased. Several old favorites have disappeared all together. Some things have increased. Namely prices and the amount of negative behavior one can expect to receive from whomever is running the front. Sometimes they act like sullen children forced to work in the family business. Other times they act like you're bothering them and they act flat out rude.
We go in a few times here and there and hope things have improved. Sadly they haven't and am beginning to believe they never will. Now the bakery is just a shadow of its former self. A ghost in need of exorcism so it can be at peace. Unless something changes, going here just isn't worth it.

1 Thank Lissa C

Anchorage, Alaska
“Awful.”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

The donut was okay...I suppose.
It certainly wasn't good enough to make up for the amazingly rude mouth breather behind the counter. I won't be going back unless it's for another cup of coffee to throw in her face.

• Visited October 2013
Soldotna, Alaska
“Not good!!!”
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

Food is overpriced and not very good. Girl behind counter actually used obscenity towards my elderly mother...as an Alaskan that drives by frequently...I would never go there again...also the place is run down...gas station has donuts and cookies for cheaper.

Anchorage, Alaska
“Don't bother”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

This was awful. We stopped early in the morning on our way south and they sold us day old or 3 day old pastries that were way overpriced and stale. Don't bother stopping here. I will never go there again. Very disappointing.

1 Thank Nanette J
Oak Harbor, Washington, United States
“Okay donuts and HORRIBLE customer service”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We stopped here for donuts and coffee on our way back to Anchorage. The jelly filled donut was okay.... nothing spectacular but the girl working the counter was completely rude. I asked for a sleeve for our coffee and since the girl was really busy I grabbed one myself. She got really upset and continued to make LOUD rude comments so everyone could hear and wouldn't drop it. My entire family just stared at her in awe and so did the rest of the customers. I will never stop there again and won't recommend this place to anyone! Awful...

2 Thank sabato_obi