“Dingy...”
Review of Caribou Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Glennallen
Caribou Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Glennallen
Soldotna, Alaska
“Dingy...”
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We have stayed at the Caribou Hotel twice. The first time was bad, but thought we'd give them a second chance. Mistake. Both times the rooms we're dirty - obviously they had not been thoroughly cleaned in months (if ever). Dirt and grime in the corners and the rooms had an overall dingy, unclean feel. Dark brown water came out of the bathroom sink faucet. The TV remote was filthy and did not match - and therefore, did not operate - the TV.

We identified the water problem to the desk clerk and he said he would report it to maintenance. No offer to move to another room.

Several weeks after our last stay we wrote a letter to the Hotel explaining our experience and disappointment in the lack of pride in their business. To date we have not gotten a response to our letter - their operation must be OK with them...

In the words of another reviewer - keep on driving.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank A B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Boynton Beach, Florida
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Just to start with, I have never written a bad review for an establishment before, so I'm not sure how to even begin with this one. Driven all day (and into the evening) and needed a place to stay and only had some travel books to rely on for a place. Caribou Hotel seems to be the only place in Glennallen with the next closest being 20+ miles away, just couldn't drive any longer so we did take a room here. Our mistake was taking the room without looking at it first.
This was a newbie mistake, not one of a seasoned traveler like ourselves. Per the check-in person, only had a couple of rooms left, the lobby appeared decent so we took the room. The price was more than we paid anywhere else we stayed in Alaska (including the Hotel Alyeska) and this was for mid September. There appears to be a main building and then an annex motel style building. Well that's what we got, a motel room that looks like it was last updated 20 years ago. No amenities in the room. 1 towel per person. There was a wooden slab between the mattresses that actually stuck out about 4-6 inches, so that you would scrape your leg everytime you would get in and out of the bed (it was on the side of the bed), we ended up putting a piece of lugguge next to it so not to hurt ourselves. The covering over the heating unit was off and just laying there. The room did have a surface clean job done, but not a good cleaning in a very long time. I would not shower there. The entrance to the room was from a hallway in which you could hear every sound made from the hall and even the rooms next to you. The doors leading into this building were always left open so that anyone could just walk in from the road. The check in process was also very shakey, gave the clerk 2 $100 traveler checks, started asking about restaurants and left. Later that night, realized that the travelers checks were never signed (or filled out) and that no receipt was given for the terrible room. Since the motel units were the only available ones, going to complain was not going to solve any issues, we needed some sleep. The next morning went to the desk clerk and said that we did not sign the travelers checks and she found one and handed it to us, explained that were gave two checks, and she needed to search for the second. Leaves me to wonder why the 2 checks weren't together, and what the real cost of the room should have been, if she thought only one would cover it. Just don't have a good feeling about this place. Not really clean, unsafe conditions in the room, noisy and pricey. I do not recommend this place, Maybe staying in the main building would be okay but if offered the motel units, just keep driving.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank smokey928
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 August 2012

While in Alaska, I had to suddenly change our route and so I booked a night at the Caribou Hotel without reading any reviews. After doing so, I saw that there were some not-so-good reviews and was very nervous. I even went out and bought "bath slippers" in case the tub was gross and dirty with mold. There are really not many choices when traveling through this area and everything is expensive as you're in Bush Alaska. We paid $149 a night and this was probably the most expensive place we stayed at in our entire time in Alaska but we were pleasantly surprised. I give it 3 stars mainly because it is a bit pricey but I understand why it's so. Our check-in was very slow. There was a family ahead of us and the man spent most of the time flirting with the woman behind the counter. While she was not encouraging him, she didn't try to speed up the process and we were standing there waiting for awhile. My own check-in took maybe 1/10 of the time of the man before me. She directed us to a side building - we had to enter through a side door. I was not impressed with this idea at first - why aren't the rooms all accessible by the main hotel door? But I soon forgot this when I entered my room. The room was spacious and had two queen beds. The bathroom was nice - much nicer than what I feared. Yes, the toilet seemed a bit stained or it was the water that looked yellow, but I already had in mind that there would be some discoloration. The tub was completely fine - clean, no colour, the shower curtain was fine too. So it was basically your average hotel room that you could find anywhere else, no complaints. There was no internet but that was okay since we were only there for one night. If you are looking for a place to eat, I heard the woman recommend to a man the take-out Thai truck. We went there and loved it. I'm not sure if they have a link on TripAdvisor but it's a truck next to the gas station (I think it's called Tok Thai) right where the Glenn Highway begins and it's excellent. We ate the takeout back in the hotel room watching tv and slept well that night.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jorlan
Iowa
Reviewed 24 July 2012

Service EXCELLENT. I left my cellphone in the room and they mailed it back to me within just days. I was surprised! THANK YOU. The rooms were clean and comfortable. This is an average hotel and a nice place to stay for a break between Valdez and Anchorage.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Cyndi G
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Staff was very helpful with any of our specific needs. Mary was amazing with getting us to and from the airport - available at inconvient times- but still helped us out!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Tom6394
Fletcher, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 July 2012

We stayed in a suite this week. The room must have been the owners old apt. It was huge but gross, dirty, and outdated. The water went out right after we got here and when it came back on, it was brown. I mentioned this to the clerk at the desk she said that it has been like that few years and hasn't had a problem. Right. Anyways, unfortunately it is the only place in town so if you really a place to stay, you're stuck here. Enjoy the filth!

• Stayed July 2012
5 Thank michaelj318
, General Manager at Caribou Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2012
It's important to us to know when rooms are not being cleaned properly and thoroughly. Please don't hesitate to let us know at the time of your visit so we can make sure this is remedied and doesn't continue to happen. We are very sorry about the water situation. We have a well that is used on the property; there are no community water wells so we maintain the private well. Occasionally the well has some water that is discolored. We have our water tested consistently and have never had any samples that have had anything that is harmful found. We know that is no excuse and work hard to keep these types of things from happening and are very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 20 June 2012

My wife and I had a good experience staying at this hotel. We were on our way to Valdez and stayed overnight. The woman at the desk was very helpful. She recommended some places to visit on our way to Valdez. The accommodation was clean and restful. I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank george b
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glennallen
Old Town Copper Center Inn & Restaurant
Aura Borealis Bed & Breakfast
Uncle Nicolai's Inn
Uncle Nicolai's Inn
#8 of 10 in Copper Center

Been to Caribou Hotel? Share your experiences!