“Stay somewhere else”
Review of Caribou Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Glennallen
Caribou Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Glennallen
Atlanta, Georgia
“Stay somewhere else”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Sign out front says it all: "Owner retiring, motel for sale." Delayed maintenance everywhere: old worn out mattresses, chipped bathroom fixtures, dingy paint in rooms and hallways, room heating that doesn't work, toilet bowl rings. Now the worst: cloudy, rusty water from the faucets in the sinks. Anyone want to drink the water or coffee here? I would hate to see the kitchen equipment in the cafe. On the one good note: the rooms are as clean as possible.

Room Tip: If you can't get in the Princess Lodge, go to Valdez.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Tomahawk, Wisconsin
Reviewed 10 August 2013

. . . for gouging poor tourists. If I were residents of this town and surrounding area, I would be ashamed. Understandably the area is depressed, however one does not need a lot of money to keep things clean and kept up. This hotel is a total disgusting mess. Do not stay here....keep driving! I am not a fancy person but when you pay $140 for a room, there are certain expectations. For instance, I like clean bedding . . . Not here! I was so grossed out with what appeared to be urine stains on the comforter! Obviously, I asked for a clean one. The towels looked worse than those that I use for dust rags or garage towels. I also like to make sure that I have toilet paper. Well, if you stay here, you may need to bring your own! I had to ask for a roll as we had about 1/8 of a roll and no spare. Then, my poor husband almost fell getting off the toilet as the seat was broken! He has a bad knee and he twisted it in the process of avoiding a fall. In need of a shower, I grabbed my toiletries to find an utterly filthy and disgusting tub. Did I mention the toilet had a ring around the bowl too?! Further inspection of the bathroom indicated the light fixture was missing its protective glass. The chairs in the room were heavily stained with years of lord knows what and there was no way we could sit in them not did we feel comfortable placing our luggage or hang our coats from them. The curtains were half hooked and the pull wasnt attached at all. Light fixtures were filthy and dirty and both had burned out light bulbs. Wallpaper was falling off the walls. I felt itchy all night long and we couldnt wait to get out of this total dive! Do yourself a favor...if you are in need of sleep; sleep in your car in lieu of this hole. It will be much more comfortable and you will save yourself a ton of money; not to mention, you will feel just as safe because there were no locks on entry doors to the hotel. There is absolutely no reason this hotel has to be in the horrible condition it is. I've stayed in many hotels that were old; but they were kept up; maintained AND clean. It is apparent that the owners and the staff have no pride and guess what? It unfortunately casts a stigma and gives this little town a black eye. Very sad.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Anastacia B
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 August 2013

let me start by saying if you are in Glennallen you don't have much of a choice for lodging. This place is in need of attention. The room was large, but very outdated and not very clean. We found the smoke detectors in the drawers which seems like a bad oversight. The staff was pretty indifferent to guests. I went down to get coffee in the morning and the pot was empty and no one seemed to care. I would stay away from here unless you have no other choice. I understand they are under new management so hopefully things will improve, but they have a long way to go.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Longmont, Colorado
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We needed a place to stay and this hotel was the only place around on short notice. The room was very dated and not overly clean. The bathroom was so small you had to lift up the toilet seat to get the door closed. We stayed in the same hotel in 1995 and I'm not sure it has been updated (or cleaned well) since then. The front desk staff was friendly and the coffee in the lobby was very nice. There is a nice gift shop out front with lots of very reasonable priced shirts and sweatshirts, as well as other things. The restaurant was ok, but only because it was the only option around.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I have had the opportunity to stay here numerous times over the years. You would think that this was an endorsement, but it is not. The reason I have stayed here is because I like to fish nearby and there are no other hotel choices for my usual party size (8 people).

We booked a "suite" with two bedrooms plus a regular room. Dingy carpets and beds. Kitchenette was OK, but dishwasher was broken. Note indicated that room staff would wash dishes, but didn't happen during my 3 day stay.

Interior doors squeeked loudly when opening and closing, which was disturbing when someone in our group went to the lavatory at night. Went to front desk and asked if they could oil the door. Front desk was indifferent and said they only had lubricating oil in the winter?!? Went to local truck stop and bought oil and lubricated by myself. Ridiculous!

Toilet clogged. Went to front desk and asked for help. Said they didn't know if they had a plunger?!? Once they found one they wanted me to plunge the toilet. Conviced them that plugged toilet was their job. Crazy!

One day we returned to find one room made up and one not touched. At that point we knew it was pointless to complain and lived with it.

Complete indifference to customer needs is rampant here at the hotel.

Junky and worn down place in the middle of nowhere, much like the surrounding town. I don't expect a lot in remote Alaska but this was just bad.

Avoid if you can.

Note: Hotel is for sale so it may improve if they get a new owner.

jb

Room Tip: Not sure there is a good room in this property.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 9 July 2013 via mobile

Didn't stay at the hotel but attempted lunch at the adjoining restaurant. The sights and smells were overpowering! Filthy best describes the furniture, facilities and fixtures. One trip to the restrooms and sight of the kitchen had us up and gone before ordering! Hopefully the health inspector will soon appear!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank 301Don
Reviewed 19 June 2013 via mobile

We booked a suite to have more room. However, the room was not very clean, and that is being nice, and everything needs maintenance. We got space, but that was it. It is the only game in town and the front desk staffs good, they just need to have staff that really cleans and the entire place needs work.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Debrah P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glennallen
Old Town Copper Center Inn & Restaurant
Aura Borealis Bed & Breakfast
Uncle Nicolai's Inn
Uncle Nicolai's Inn
#9 of 10 in Copper Center

Been to Caribou Hotel? Share your experiences!