“Not as bad as others say!”
Review of Caribou Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Glennallen
Caribou Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Glennallen
Homer, Alaska
“Not as bad as others say!”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

My wife and our favorite dog "Bonzer" spent one night here. I thought it was pretty good! We stayed in room #155, very quiet and clean. Plenty of hot water and room heat and our car was parked right outside. In the morning there were plenty of goodies for continental style breakie. The rate was reasonable, desk people friendly and helpful. It's not the Hyatt Regency, but I don't think it deserves all the negativity that is reflected in the reviews. I have NO complaint at all!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tiglax

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
ks
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We were warned, but all the B& B's were booked, and schedule wise, it was the area we needed to stay in.

The service was limited, as was the room. But it was only for one night. The restaurant was okay. The food was pretty good and there was lots of local atmosphere.

Room Tip: Choose a room somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Sheffield, UK
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stopped here to break our journey from Delta Junction to Valdez. The hotel is in two blocks, the main building and one to the side which resembles a motel block. We were in the latter. At one end of the building there were stairs to the rooms. Beside the stairs was the refuse dump containers from the nearby Caribou Café. These were filled to the point of overflowing and were not really what you would want to see when you are going to sleep next door to a load of overflowing rubbish. The rooms are somewhat tired and in need of a proper and full refurbishment. The carpets on the corridor to our room were grubby in the extreme. The problem is there are few places to stay here, Glennallen being little more than a road junction on the way to somewhere else, albeit with the most wonderful view of the mountains as you come in to Glennallen from the north. If you can find somewhere else to stay, do it.

Room Tip: It may be better in the main part of the hotel, but we cant be sure about this as we didn't see...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Sign out front says it all: "Owner retiring, motel for sale." Delayed maintenance everywhere: old worn out mattresses, chipped bathroom fixtures, dingy paint in rooms and hallways, room heating that doesn't work, toilet bowl rings. Now the worst: cloudy, rusty water from the faucets in the sinks. Anyone want to drink the water or coffee here? I would hate to see the kitchen equipment in the cafe. On the one good note: the rooms are as clean as possible.

Room Tip: If you can't get in the Princess Lodge, go to Valdez.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Tomahawk, Wisconsin
Reviewed 10 August 2013

. . . for gouging poor tourists. If I were residents of this town and surrounding area, I would be ashamed. Understandably the area is depressed, however one does not need a lot of money to keep things clean and kept up. This hotel is a total disgusting mess. Do not stay here....keep driving! I am not a fancy person but when you pay $140 for a room, there are certain expectations. For instance, I like clean bedding . . . Not here! I was so grossed out with what appeared to be urine stains on the comforter! Obviously, I asked for a clean one. The towels looked worse than those that I use for dust rags or garage towels. I also like to make sure that I have toilet paper. Well, if you stay here, you may need to bring your own! I had to ask for a roll as we had about 1/8 of a roll and no spare. Then, my poor husband almost fell getting off the toilet as the seat was broken! He has a bad knee and he twisted it in the process of avoiding a fall. In need of a shower, I grabbed my toiletries to find an utterly filthy and disgusting tub. Did I mention the toilet had a ring around the bowl too?! Further inspection of the bathroom indicated the light fixture was missing its protective glass. The chairs in the room were heavily stained with years of lord knows what and there was no way we could sit in them not did we feel comfortable placing our luggage or hang our coats from them. The curtains were half hooked and the pull wasnt attached at all. Light fixtures were filthy and dirty and both had burned out light bulbs. Wallpaper was falling off the walls. I felt itchy all night long and we couldnt wait to get out of this total dive! Do yourself a favor...if you are in need of sleep; sleep in your car in lieu of this hole. It will be much more comfortable and you will save yourself a ton of money; not to mention, you will feel just as safe because there were no locks on entry doors to the hotel. There is absolutely no reason this hotel has to be in the horrible condition it is. I've stayed in many hotels that were old; but they were kept up; maintained AND clean. It is apparent that the owners and the staff have no pride and guess what? It unfortunately casts a stigma and gives this little town a black eye. Very sad.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Anastacia B
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 August 2013

let me start by saying if you are in Glennallen you don't have much of a choice for lodging. This place is in need of attention. The room was large, but very outdated and not very clean. We found the smoke detectors in the drawers which seems like a bad oversight. The staff was pretty indifferent to guests. I went down to get coffee in the morning and the pot was empty and no one seemed to care. I would stay away from here unless you have no other choice. I understand they are under new management so hopefully things will improve, but they have a long way to go.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Longmont, Colorado
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We needed a place to stay and this hotel was the only place around on short notice. The room was very dated and not overly clean. The bathroom was so small you had to lift up the toilet seat to get the door closed. We stayed in the same hotel in 1995 and I'm not sure it has been updated (or cleaned well) since then. The front desk staff was friendly and the coffee in the lobby was very nice. There is a nice gift shop out front with lots of very reasonable priced shirts and sweatshirts, as well as other things. The restaurant was ok, but only because it was the only option around.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glennallen
Old Town Copper Center Inn & Restaurant
Antler's Rest Bed and Breakfast
Uncle Nicolai's Inn
Uncle Nicolai's Inn
#8 of 10 in Copper Center

Been to Caribou Hotel? Share your experiences!