“Not So Bad...”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Caribou Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Glennallen
Caribou Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Glennallen
Killeen, Texas
“Not So Bad...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Room was outdated but clean and comfortable. Price was competitive for the area, but you have to pay extra for wi-fi so we did without for a night. Staff was friendly. Screen was falling out of the window and there were stairs right by our window, so we kept the window closed all night which made it hard to fall asleep since there wasn't any air conditioning and it was warm that day. Overall though, not as bad as many of the reviews make it sound.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Martin D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Kalama, Washington, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

This Hotel is okay....just okay clean enough. Pretty expensive for the quality. It was safe, warm/cool and clean. If you are used to Ritz Carlton, make other plans. But if all you need is a place to lay your head the Caribou is more than adequate.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cindy H
Daphne, Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

We have stayed at dumpy hotels in the past. This place is the worst! HIGHLY OVERPRICED! For a place that was built in 1990...they forgot to do any type of upkeep. The room was so outdated. The bathroom was small...you got whacked if you were sitting on the toilet and someone opened the door. The water was yellow...in the toilet and from the faucets. We did not drink it, wash with it or shower with it. Yuck. I brushed my teeth using bottled lemonade. You could not tell if the toilet had already been used! Yellow water! I never took my socks off for fear of getting some kind of disease from the rug. The night we stayed was one of Alaska's famous "mosquitoe nights." They were thick and everywhere. We waited 5 minutes before getting out of the car for fear of being eaten alive. The hotel lobby was thick with them...mainly because the front doors were wide open! Hello!!! The person behind the counter was using his electronic mosquitoe racket to kill them while I was checking in. Too bad we didn't have one of those things for our room. There were no ammenities. No breakfast. Nothing. I would not stay at this hotel again even if it was the last one on the face of the earth.

Room Tip: A room in any other hotel would be best.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank USNavyVet72
Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

In defense of the Caribou Hotel, it is where Alaskans stay and people who travel as a part of their work. We need a place that is friendly, clean, and hospitable with good food next door at the restaurant. I stayed here last June on a business trip and I will stay there this June 2014. Over the years I don't ever remember seeing brown water as one reviewer experienced. It is an older, heavily used place open year around and we Alaskans like the friendliness, availability and the "not fussy" atmosphere. I am well aware that there is a newer, shiny hotel down the road that closes in the winter and opens up in the spring for tourist season and charges a $100 more a night for a bed that I'm not going to have charged to my employer.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms are on the other side from the parking lot.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Esther C
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

We had a bed to sleep on. That's about it. The water from the faucet and the water in the toilet were brown. Dark brown. No drinking that or even showering. Luckily I was in town for an event that I did not necessarily need to shower for, but knowing that I probably would not get a chance again for a day or so, it would have been a nice option. I asked the gy at the desk if all of the rooms had brown water. He said, "Yes. I don't know why. It was fine yesterday." No offer of a discount or even an apology. At least I had a bed to sleep in although after the water incident and the lack of concern, I wondered if I should count on having clean bedding. It felt more like camping that like staying in a hotel.
Also the restaurant wasn't open. The advertising sais that there was a restaurant on site, but it was closed down even with what I would assume is one of the biggest events in town during the year.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank casthompson
union grove, wi
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

If your looking for a bed to sleep in, but not much else then this is the place to stay. First of all they lost our reservation! "Lucky for us" they had a room available. The screen on the window had a hole in it so we couldn't open the window to air the room out. The lobby, hallways, and room needed a good cleaning and some updating. The food at the restaurant was very basic.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank scottc06
Homer, Alaska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

My wife and our favorite dog "Bonzer" spent one night here. I thought it was pretty good! We stayed in room #155, very quiet and clean. Plenty of hot water and room heat and our car was parked right outside. In the morning there were plenty of goodies for continental style breakie. The rate was reasonable, desk people friendly and helpful. It's not the Hyatt Regency, but I don't think it deserves all the negativity that is reflected in the reviews. I have NO complaint at all!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tiglax
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glennallen
Old Town Copper Center Inn & Restaurant
Antler's Rest Bed and Breakfast
Uncle Nicolai's Inn
Uncle Nicolai's Inn
#9 of 11 in Copper Center

Been to Caribou Hotel? Share your experiences!